PIC Group, Inc.
Title: Plant Operator
Position Type: Contract
Location: Plattsburgh, NY
Reports to: Shift Supervisor
PIC Group is seeking a Plant Operator for a 285MW gas fired combined cycle cogeneration facility located in Upstate New York. The Plant Operator will report to the Shift Supervisor and is responsible for safe and continuous operation of natural gas combined cycle generating plant and auxiliary package steam boilers. This includes but is not limited to normal operation, start-ups, shutdowns, equipment/system monitoring, servicing, housekeeping, and minor maintenance. This is an excellent opportunity to work with a dynamic renewable company who operates a wide range of facilities such as solar, wind, geothermal, cogenerations, and hydro projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work safely and effectively in a team environment.
- Check and monitor plant equipment and systems daily to ensure proper operation and detect problems as they occur.
- Check oil levels, pressures, temperatures, flows, unusual noises, vibration, overheating, leaks, cleanliness, etc.
- Responsible for normal operation, startup, and shutdown of all major and auxiliary equipment and systems in the plant following approved operating procedures.
- Perform basic maintenance on equipment such as changing oil, greasing, changing filters, filtering oil, cleaning (e.g., nozzles, water boxes, strainers, etc.) adjusting packing, etc.
- Troubleshoot equipment/system problems and fix if possible. Originate work requests for those problems that cannot be resolved by operations.
- Inspect equipment and be able to identify problems.
- Maintain accurate logs and records associated with the operation of auxiliary equipment, incident reports, shift logs, checklists, etc.
- Experience with installing lock-out tagout tags and manipulating equipment to meet lockout tagout requirements is desired
- Ability to operate and monitor boilers, electric generators, chillers, steam turbines, and auxiliary equipment (e.g., pumps, valves, boilers, etc.).
- Understand equipment operating principles, operating parameters, interlocks, alarms, and how the equipment functions within its respective system.
- Knowledge in making necessary equipment adjustments, log significant observations, record daily meter readings and maintain daily operating logs.
- Knowledge in the operations of natural gas combined cycle generating plants, auxiliary package steam boilers and all auxiliary support equipment of those facilities, including demineralizer water treatment systems.
- Knowledge of natural gas transmission pipeline equipment including regulating and metering stations
- Strong understanding of the purpose and function of the equipment and systems in the plant.
- Demonstrate effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to line up systems for various modes of operation (e.g., startup, shutdown, emergency, etc.).
- Ability to comprehend and manage complex directions from control room operator and management team.
- Experience with installing lock-out tagout tags and manipulating equipment to meet lockout tagout requirements is strongly preferred.
- Experience with natural gas equipment and systems is preferable, including working knowledge of natural gas transmission pipeline equipment including regulating and metering stations .
- Able to walk/work on grating surfaces at extreme heights, lift up to 50 pounds, wear all required safety equipment and work in confined spaces.
- Required to work in all areas of the power plant, operating 24 hours a day, 365 days a year; includes exposure to heat, cold, noise, dust, and humidity.
Education / Experience:
- A high school diploma or GED is required.
- Valid Driver's License to operate company vehicles.
- Mechanical or electrical experience, trade related in Industrial Maintenance or Operations (e.g., factory, plant operations, coal mining).
- Technical or bachelor's degree is preferred, but not required.
- Basic computer skills utilizing windows applications, email, and work management software.
About this Employer
PIC Group, Inc., established in 1988 and headquartered in Atlanta, GA, is a global provider of service solutions to the power generation industry. PIC Group’s comprehensive portfolio of services supports all aspects of power project development including installation, outage, commissioning and start-up, operations and maintenance, documentation and training, and project support. As of March 2008, PIC Group, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marubeni Corporation, a publicly listed company headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.