Plant Engineer for Integrated Energy Systems
Idaho National Laboratory
Idaho National Laboratory's (INL) Advanced Reactor Technology and Design group is seeking forward-thinking professionals interested in exploring a career as a Senior Plant Engineer for Integrated Energy Systems.
Our team works an on-site 9x80 schedule located at our Research and Education Campus with every other Friday off!
- Support R&D activities associated with use of light water reactor and advanced reactor concepts beyond the grid.
- Collaborate with both the modeling and simulation and experimental systems design team to evaluate performance and safety impacts of options for thermal integration of industrial processes with a nuclear plant.
- Assess experimental systems design applicability for use in integrated system performance evaluation and model validation.
- Provide feedback from utility partners on experimental approaches to reduce risk in implementing non-electric applications with operating nuclear plants.
- Conduct experimental and computational studies related to the design and operation of a prototypical non-nuclear, microreactor engineering test bed, a thermal energy distribution system, and connected auxiliary systems.
- Support research and development related to high-temperature electrolysis for efficient electrolytic production of hydrogen and other value-added products from nuclear energy.
- Assist with all aspects of the design, operation, procedure preparation, instrumentation and control, analysis and reporting of experimental facilities and test articles related to various experimental test beds.
- Prepare technical reports and publish work in topical meetings, conference summaries, and relevant technical journals. Represent INL to external customers and peer groups.
- Provide, mentorship, direction to and oversight of junior level technical staff.
- Bachelor's degree in Nuclear, Mechanical, Chemical, or Civil Engineering or related field and 5 years of experience, or MS and 3 yrs or PhD and 2 years experience in the same fields.
- Proficiency in thermal/hydraulic systems analysis and demonstrated interpersonal skills.
- Experience in experiment design, hardware, process instrumentation and control, data processing and analysis, and system operation.
- Experience with credentials in thermal hydraulic and power systems.
- Design, operation, or modeling of thermal hydraulics systems.
- Metallurgy, corrosion, and plant maintenance.
- Process controls for nuclear plant operations.
- Demonstrated oral and published written communication skills (in English).
- Working knowledge of engineering systems in the current fleet of light water reactors.
- Salary Grade: 220
- Chosen applicants are required to show a demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working environment.
Growing INL: An Overview of New Facilities and Capabilities
Our mission is to discover, demonstrate and secure innovative nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical infrastructure.
Our vision is to change the world's energy future and secure our nation's critical infrastructure.
Selective Service Requirements
To be eligible for employment at INL males born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS). For more information see www.sss.gov.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
COVID Safety Protocols
As a condition of employment, Idaho National Laboratory will inquire about COVID vaccination status and expects candidates to comply with all required COVID safety protocols, including mask-wearing as applicable.
Idaho National Laboratory has implemented a required vaccination policy effective immediately requiring that all new hires must be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, unless exempt under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, or other applicable state or federal law. In accordance with Idaho National Laboratory's duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, we are adopting this policy to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors, and the community at large from infectious diseases that may be reduced by vaccinations.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
When applying to positions please provide a resume and answer all questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for consideration.
INL does not accept resumes from third party vendors unsolicited.
Benefits, Salary, and Relocation
We have an extremely competitive salary structure and phenomenal benefits. For more information, please visit: https://www.inl.gov/careers/benefits-overview/
About this Employer
Part of the U.S. Dept. of Energy’s complex of national laboratories, INL performs work in each of the strategic goal areas: energy, national security, science & environment. INL is the nation’s leading center for nuclear energy research & development.