Operations & Maintenance Technician
PIC Group, Inc.
Title: Operations & Maintenance Technician
Position Type: Contract
Location: Bow, NH
Reports to: Utility Manager
PIC Group is seeking an Operations and Maintenance Technician (OMT) to support a 500MW Peaking Facility with two coal fired steam turbine and two kerosene fueled combustion turbines located in southern New Hampshire. The Operations and Maintenance (OMT) will report to the Utility Manager is responsible for the proper operation and maintenance of the power facility, including the Flue Gas Desulfurization (FGD) scrubber while assigned on shift or while assigned to the maintenance team. The Operations and Maintenance Technician (OMT) is responsible for operating, maintaining, and troubleshooting of power facility equipment, water treatment facility, and FGD scrubber equipment. In addition, the Operations and Maintenance Technician (OMT) is responsible for repair of mechanical, electrical, and instrumentation for the power facility equipment, water treatment facility, and the FGD scrubber.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform piping and conduit installation in the plant for system upgrades and modifications.
- Operate demineralizers, compressors, and turbine components.
- Perform routine inspections on each system within the plant.
- Cleaning, replacing, oiling, and lubricating other component parts and equipment as required.
- Reads meters, gauges, or automatic devices to record data such as temperature of equipment, vibration of equipment, hours of operation, pressure, fluid levels, and water chemistry to verify operating conditions.
- Performs general housekeeping and continuous improvement of the appearance of the facility including painting projects as required.
- Maintains the cleanliness of all areas of the plant and control room.
- Performs capital project and/or major program responsibilities as assigned by Plant Management.
- Coordinates purchasing with appropriate personnel and vendors to achieve timely repair of plant equipment.
- Operate and maintains a power generating facility equipment with minimal guidance or assistance as directed by and in coordination with the Supervisor.
- Identify and resolve Computerized Emissions Monitoring System (CEMS) problems.
- Assist in calibrations and gas bottle change outs.
- Keeps Management and/or Supervisor fully informed of unusual plant conditions and current job progress as the job relates to facility operations when assigned on-shift.
- Responsible for ordering chemicals through established vendors.
- Utilizes the facility's computerized maintenance management system (CMMS).
- Works with the Maintenance Manager in managing the plant's inventory, performing audits as needed.
- Responsible for opening and closing circuit breakers as required for proper system operation and electrical isolation.
- Outage planning and scheduling involvement.
- Assist with development of Operations and Maintenance procedures.
- Assist with administering the Operation and Maintenance Technician training program.
- Assist with performing Root Cause Analysis of failures.
- Operate heavy equipment such as man lift, forklift, loader, and skid steer.
- Perform water chemistry analysis on boiler, and cooling systems.
- Ensure water chemistry is within proper control ranges.
- Adjust water chemistry, as needed, by controlling chemical feed and/or blowdown rates.
- Work with managers, working foreman and water treatment vendor to properly monitor overall chemistry program.
- Operate demineralized water system in accordance with OEM and plant procedures and monitor demineralized water to ensure quality is within acceptable limits.
- Reads, understands, and complies with all regulatory procedures and facility safety programs. Follow all plant environmental permits.
- Other duties as assigned may be required to work with other departments or locations.
- Knowledge of all facets of power plant operations.
- Ability to make competent decisions in emergency situations.
- Strong working knowledge with Flue Gas Desulfurization (FGD) scrubbers and associated ancillary systems.
- Capable of writing operating procedures, work requests, written records.
- Demonstrate good verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office including Excel and Word.
- Ability to read and interpret mechanical drawings, electrical one-lines, logic drawings, technical manuals, and P&ID's.
- Ability to write routine reports, solving practical problems, and clearly communicating tasks and needs, and training of other personnel.
- Skilled in troubleshooting and diagnosing problems with mechanical equipment with the ability to apply a resolution in a timely fashion.
- Proficient at repairing, replacing, dismantling, and inspecting defective plant equipment and parts such as pumps, valves, fans, gearboxes, demineralizers, compressors, and turbine components.
- Capable of operating welding and cutting equipment and completes metal fabrication projects.
- Proficient at Water Chemistry.
- Capable of setting up and operating a drill press, pipe threading machine, grinder, and other various tools to make and repair parts and equipment.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to obtain physical clearance to wear a respirator.
- Ability to sit, stand, bend (forward and backward) consistently and for potentially extended periods of time (up to 12 hours per day).
- Sufficient depth perception, close, distance, color, and peripheral vision to effectively discharge the responsibilities of the role (corrective lenses permitted)
- Periodic exposure to outdoor elements.
Education / Experience:
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Associates Degree (AA) or equivalent from a two-year college to technical school preferred.
- Minimum of seven years of previous experience in a coal plant, with FGD experiences is required.
- Mechanical, instrumentation and electrical equipment knowledge is required.
PIC Group, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer competitive wages and benefits. We seek out and employ talented individuals who meet the qualifications for each position. Due to the large number of responses we receive to our postings, only those applicants with the required experience and qualifications will be contacted.
About this Employer
PIC Group, Inc., established in 1988 and headquartered in Atlanta, GA, is a global provider of service solutions to the power generation industry. PIC Group’s comprehensive portfolio of services supports all aspects of power project development including installation, outage, commissioning and start-up, operations and maintenance, documentation and training, and project support. As of March 2008, PIC Group, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marubeni Corporation, a publicly listed company headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.