Mill Systems Engineer
PIC Group, Inc.
Title: Milling Systems Field Service Engineer
Position Type: Contract
Reports to: District/Contract Service Manager
PIC Group has an excellent opportunity for an experienced Milling Systems Field Service Engineer to support service-related assignments for power and industrial process facilities across the United States. The Mill Systems Field Service Engineer reports to the District Service Manager and will be dispatched from their home location for typical service assignments that range from one 1 to four 4 weeks in duration. The Mill Systems Field Service Engineer will be responsible for technical advice and direction during outage inspections, support of performance and emissions related tuning, troubleshooting, disposition of findings and recommendation for repairs, and recommendation on operational parameters of boiler equipment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Equipment inspections and troubleshooting of solid fuel pulverizes for coal, pet coke, and biomass power plant milling systems.
- Commission and start-up new and retrofit projects during the final project phase, checking out and placing new/retrofit equipment into service
- Reviews operating history and recent changes to the milling system
- Identify, troubleshoot, and help solve mechanical and performance problems as requested.
- Evaluates Distributed Control System programs and parameters
- Works with customer operators and technicians to troubleshoot any operating issues
- Provides advice on changes or repairs needed to achieve operating goals
- Determines what appropriate systems require tuning and directs operators to the proper changes
- Collect and analyze operational/performance data for determining if objectives are being met
- Works closely with department members and operations experts to achieve the desired results
- Documents all changes and tuning activities for submittal to proper plant authorities
- Documents and prepares reports on any future improvements that can be made to improve operation and/or efficiency
- Full working knowledge of power plant vertical and ball mill pulverizer milling system operations.
- Experience with utility and industrial sub-critical, super-critical and package boiler systems in operation today
- Ability to troubleshoot milling systems and provide clear direction
- Knowledge of current operating control systems and how to direct required changes
- Competent in the use of engineering standards, applicable ASME test codes, and all associated boiler codes
- Knowledge of boiler milling operations including design, construction, operation, and maintenance.
- Knowledge of mechanical engineering principles such as heat transfer rates, combustion efficiency, thermodynamics, and fluid mechanics.
- Ability to handle multiple activities (multi-task), good organizational skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Lotus Notes.
- Good customer relationship skills, good written & oral communication skills.
- Basic mechanical aptitude and skills such as the ability to use tools and measuring devices.
- Ability to read drawings and documentation.
- Compliance with company specific safety and health requirements and OSHA regulations including lock-out/tag-out principles.
- Strong documentation and organizational skills
- Ability to perform and direct operations in a safe and efficient manner
- Ability to travel to and from power plant sites across the United States
- Extensive travel (60% or more) is required.
- This position requires physical dexterity, i.e., crawling extended distances, bending, average lifting (<50 lbs), and the ability to enter boiler and auxiliary equipment through existing access doors and openings.
- The ability to work in confined spaces and at heights is also a general requirement.
- Work environment: varied high and low temperatures, inside and outside, high noise levels, around hazardous equipment, and chemicals.
Education / Experience:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or equivalent education and/or experience
- 5 to 10 years' experience with utility and industrial boiler milling system operations and service
About this Employer
PIC Group, Inc., established in 1988 and headquartered in Atlanta, GA, is a global provider of service solutions to the power generation industry. PIC Group’s comprehensive portfolio of services supports all aspects of power project development including installation, outage, commissioning and start-up, operations and maintenance, documentation and training, and project support. As of March 2008, PIC Group, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marubeni Corporation, a publicly listed company headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.