Mechanical Engineer - SMC
Idaho National Laboratory
Idaho National Laboratory's (INL) Engineering and Product Development group is seeking forward-thinking professionals interested in exploring a technical career as a Mechanical Engineer.
Since 1984, INL's Specific Manufacturing Capability (SMC) has been the lead manufacturer of armor packages for the U.S. Army's Abrams main battle tank. SMC has the ability to provide independent technical evaluations and solutions to manufacturing, engineering, and material science for a variety of programs and customers. SMC is designated as the Abrams Armor Center of Excellence. We'd love for you to join our team!
- Development and maintenance of the technical baseline for assigned equipment and systems (configuration management of system drawings and components)
- Modifications and upgrades to structure/system or components to maintain functionality or improve performance or function.
- Preparation of Technical Evaluations or Engineering Calculation Reports (ECAR) to support operation and modification of assigned SSC's.
- Ensures that the configuration management (drawings and specifications) are in compliance with SMC engineering manager expectations and INL standards.
- Conceptual design/modification of drawings and models.
- Construction and tenant modification design drawings, specifications and models under the direction of a mentor.
- Use of knowledge of ASME boiler and piping systems. Functional SME for ASME B31.1 and B31.3 piping systems.
- Perform in a lead role in the creation and checking of engineering calculations using technical evaluations (TEV) and ECAR to support SMC engineering.
- Provides technical recommendations for engineering projects ranging from $25K to $5.0M+ as needed to support continued plant growth at SMC.
- Level 3 - B.S. and 5 or M.S. and 3 years' relevant experience.
- Level 4 - B.S. and 8 or M.S. 6 years' relevant experience
- Able to obtain and maintain a "Q" DOE security clearance.
- Salary Grade: 220/230
- Chosen applicants are required to show a demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working environment.
- TDP: This is a testing designated position; you will be required to submit to a pre-employment drug screen and periodic drug testing throughout the term of your employment.
- Multi-Level: This is a multi-level posting and the selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level dependent on depth and breadth of proven experience and skills.
INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory dedicated to supporting the U.S. Department of Energy's mission in nuclear energy research, science, and national defense. With more than 5,000 scientists, researchers, and support staff, the laboratory works with national and international governments, universities and industry partners to discover new science and development technologies that underpin the nation's nuclear and renewable energy, national security, and environmental missions.
Our mission is to discover, demonstrate and secure innovative nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical infrastructure.
Our vision is to change the world's energy future and secure our nation's critical infrastructure.
Selective Service Requirements:
To be eligible for employment at INL men born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS). For more information see www.sss.gov.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
INL is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide EEO to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
COVID Safety Protocols:
As a condition of employment, INL will inquire about COVID vaccination status and expects candidate compliance with all required COVID safety protocols, including mask-wearing as applicable.
INL has implemented a required vaccination policy effective immediately requiring all new hires must be vaccinated against COVID - 19 as a condition of employment, unless exempt under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, or other applicable state or federal law. In accordance with INL's duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, we are adopting this policy to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors, and the community at large from infectious diseases that may be reduced by vaccinations.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
When applying to positions please provide your resume and answer all questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for consideration.
INL does not accept resumes from third party vendors unsolicited.
Benefits & Salary:
We have an extremely competitive salary structure, robust relocation package, and a phenomenal benefits package. For more information, please visit: https://www.inl.gov/careers/benefits-overview
About this Employer
Part of the U.S. Dept. of Energy’s complex of national laboratories, INL performs work in each of the strategic goal areas: energy, national security, science & environment. INL is the nation’s leading center for nuclear energy research & development.