Mechanical Commissioning Technician
PIC Group, Inc.
Title: Mechanical Startup and Commissioning Technician
Position Type: Contract
Location: Lake Charles, LA
Reports to: Commissioning Manager
PIC Group has an excellent opportunity for a Mechanical Startup and Commissioning Technician to support commissioning of a new chlorine chemical production facility located in Lake Charles, LA. The Mechanical Startup and Commissioning Technician will report to the Commissioning Manager and be responsible for electrical and instrumentation inspections and pre-commissioning checklists participating in Pre-Startup Safety Reviews (PSSRs) working with plant operators and shift supervisors for a successful plant startup and operation currently scheduled for November of 2022. The Mechanical Startup and Commissioning Technician will be located at the project throughout the construction and commissioning phase.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Perform standard pre-commissioning activities during final phases of construction involving such work as installing, inspecting, testing, and diagnosing the operating conditions of all types of machinery and mechanical equipment and systems such as engines, motors, pneumatic tools, conveyor systems, and all mechanical production equipment.
- Observes mechanical devices in operation to locate causes of trouble. Examines form and texture of parts to detect imperfections.
- Dismantles devices to gain access to and remove defective parts. Repairs or replaces defective parts. Installs special functional and structural parts. Lubricates and cleans parts.
- Sets up and operates lathe, drill press, grinder, and/or other metalworking tools to make and repair parts.
- Initiates purchase order for parts and machines.
- Some repair of electrical equipment.
· Perform punch list activities as directed by Commissioning Manager
· Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to address challenges while working in a construction and operating plant work environment.
- Effective communication skills both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the company.
- Effective computer skills; Microsoft Office software and other discipline-specific software applications.
- Effective analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong mechanical experience.
- The ability to multi-task.
- Command of English and good presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, a proactive team player combined with a solid self-supporting/independent character.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- Strong Knowledge of process technology and the technical principles related to chemical, oil & gas, pulp & paper, and the like plants.
- Proficiency in the use of pneumatic tools, conveyor systems, and production machinery and equipment.
- Capable to read, interpret & prepare applicable technical information, including drawings, procedures, manuals, codes, and specifications.
- Experience using basic hand tools and various shop/welding apparatus.
- Experience performing in-depth plant mechanical maintenance
- Physical demands-the physical demands of the job, including bending, climbing, sitting, lifting, and driving.
- Work environment: chemical construction site in Louisiana with varied temperature, high noise level, inside and outside, with caustic chemicals.
Education / Experience:
- Associates degree in mechanical or equivalent experience
- 5 or more years of startup and commissioning work experience.
PIC Group, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer competitive wages and benefits. We seek out and employ talented individuals who meet the qualifications for each position. Due to the large number of responses we receive to our postings, only those applicants with the required experience and qualifications will be contacted.
About this Employer
PIC Group, Inc., established in 1988 and headquartered in Atlanta, GA, is a global provider of service solutions to the power generation industry. PIC Group’s comprehensive portfolio of services supports all aspects of power project development including installation, outage, commissioning and start-up, operations and maintenance, documentation and training, and project support. As of March 2008, PIC Group, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marubeni Corporation, a publicly listed company headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.