Salt River Project
Under supervision, the Plant Mechanic demonstrates and applies in-depth knowledge of the skills and abilities required to perform Journeyman level mechanical work including; installing, aligning, maintaining, repairing, and fabricating components for a wide variety of mechanical equipment throughout the SRP system. Work is performed in support of internal customer groups including Hydro Generation, Steam Generation, SRP Water, and SRP Transmission & Distribution. The Plant Mechanic is expected to perform in a leadership capacity, including assigning, overseeing, directing, and taking responsibility for the work of others. The Plant Mechanic is a highly visible position within the organization and will interact with customers on a regular basis. Employee is committed to achieve the highest goals in safety and excellence in serving our customers and working with fellow employees. This position works closely with the Working Foreman and Supervisor. May require; being transported by fixed wing, rotor or other means of SRP approved transportation; the directing of others in the performance of duties; scheduled and unscheduled overtime; various shifts, and out of town work assignment.
Anyone position may not include all duties nor do the example of duties include all tasks, which may be found in the position of this class.
- Performs all related mechanical construction and maintenance work as necessary to support SRP systems operations.
- Dismantles repairs and assembles mechanical equipment such as gear boxes, pumps, valves, compressors, turbines, piping systems, conveyors, and other related mechanical equipment.
- Identifies, evaluates and takes corrective action on problems causing mechanical equipment malfunctions.
- Monitors and performs periodic schedules maintenance on equipment.
- Interprets and applies drawings, standard operating procedures, and manufacturer's instructions.
- Competent and responsible in the correct use of a wide variety of hand and power tools.
- Performs rigging, operates mobile and stationary cranes, hoists, and other light and heavy equipment incidental to moving, dismantling, or repairing plant machinery or related equipment.
- Operates various types of personnel lifting equipment, bucket truck, scissor lift, Genie Lift, boom lift etc. as required in the performance of job duties.
- Performs precise measurements and alignments using a variety of calibrated tools and equipment.
- Performs basic heating, cutting and welding as necessary to effectively perform assigned tasks.
- Utilizes computer based systems to operate work management systems, to access preventative maintenance schedules, work orders, input data, time reporting and order parts.
- Develops accurate estimates of labor, materials, equipment and related cost and schedule requirements of the job.
- Responsible for personal safety and the safety of others.
- Maintains compliance with Federal, State and local occupational safety, health and environmental regulations.
- Assists other employees doing related work. Provides coverage to maintain operational requirements due to vacation, sick leave or as workload varies.
- Depending on workload, employees in the job classification may be required to perform duties as other job classification of equal or lesser pay for which they are qualified within Mechanical C & M.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Employee must work safely and efficiently in the performance of their job duties. Must maintain effective working relationships with other employees, customers and the public. Must have the ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions, and have the ability to accurately and legibly complete applicable paper work. May be required to work a reasonable amount of overtime.
High School, GED or Equivalent.
Completion of an appropriate Apprenticeship program or equivalent.
Employee should demonstrate the following qualifications: Safety Conscious, Highly motivated, Team oriented, Customer Focused, Positive attitude, Flexible, Creative, and Innovative
Daily and out of town driving
Field and construction site environment; travel from site to site; work around traffic and heavy construction equipment; work at heights on scaffolding and ladders; work in confined spaces, underground vaults, on slippery surface; exposure to heat, cold, noise, grease, smoke, fumes, gases, toxic chemicals,inclement weather; moving objects/vehicles
Successful Bid Evaluation. Pass an SRP Maintenance Specialist - Plant Mechanic Job Knowledge Test for candidates who; Are not currently an MCM Plant Mechanic, Have not successfully completed an SRP Mechanical Apprenticeship training program.
Must be certified to work in steam and hydro generating and substation facilities.
*Hydro experience preferred.
Certifications or Testing Required
SRP Plant Mechanic Job Knowledge Test
Physical Agility Test
Must possess the appropriate valid Arizona driver's license.
For specific list of training certifications contact departmental manager.
Requisition ID: 14693
SRP currently offers a hybrid workplace, which allows employees whose jobs can be performed remotely, and who have sufficient technical capability, to telework up to three days per week. Although part-time teleworking is available, all employees must live and work in Arizona. We are taking steps to protect the health and well-being of all team members, and by following a number of health and safety protocols, to reduce the risk of the coronavirus (COVID-19).
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Salt River Project (SRP) recognizes diversity and inclusion as key drivers of innovation and growth, and seeks to attract a diverse employee base that reflects our community. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, military status or any other protected status under applicable federal, state or local law. Ultimately, SRP aspires to fully apply the power of diversity and inclusion to build a more equitable and sustainable future for our customers, employees and community.
Drug/Alcohol Policy Statement
In order to promote the safety and well-being of our employees, customers and the communities we serve, SRP is committed to maintaining a drug/alcohol free work environment. Although marijuana may now be legal in Arizona, except as otherwise specified under Arizona law, SRP considers it to be an illegal drug for the purpose of our drug/alcohol policy because marijuana remains illegal at the federal level. Any candidate found to be impaired during the hiring process or who has the presence of an illegal drug or unauthorized substance in their system during the pre-employment drug/alcohol test may be disqualified from further consideration in the hiring process.
All candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
Currently, SRP does not sponsor H1B visas.
Why Work at SRP
SRP's success is rooted in our employees' happiness, health and safety. That's why we offer a comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of our employees and enhance their well-being. In addition to competitive pay and performance incentives, eligible employees can take advantage of the following benefits:
• 401(k) plan with employer matching
• Retirement pension
• Paid vacation
• Parental leave
• Holiday pay
• Sick leave
• Medical, vision, dental and life insurance
• Wellness programs
• Pre-tax benefits
• Short and long-term disability plans
• Tuition assistance
Nearest Major Market: Phoenix
About this Employer
SRP is one of the largest public power and water utilities in the U.S. providing electricity to approximately one million customers in the greater metropolitan Phoenix area. Since its founding in 1903, SRP has fostered a culture of stewardship and customer service consistently ranking as an industry leader in customer service according to J.D. Power. SRP continues to adapt to its changing business environment by seeking innovative ways to reimagine utility service and the provision of critical resources essential to the life and economy of Arizona.