Market Design Specialist
The New York Independent System Operator (NYISO) applies cutting-edge technology to operating a reliable electricity system, managing competitive markets for wholesale electricity, and planning for the Empire State's energy future. The NYISO's Energy Market Design team invites applications for a full-time Market Design Specialist to support the evolution of its best in class wholesale electricity markets.
This role offers a unique opportunity for individuals who enjoy solving complex technical problems, interacting with dynamic groups of stakeholders, and leading market design initiatives from conception to implementation. This role requires individuals that demonstrate a high level of motivation, professional maturity and poise as well as an interest and passion for electricity markets and energy policy.
The Energy Market Design Specialist is responsible for identifying innovative solutions to the emerging challenges that the NYISO's energy markets are facing. The Energy Market Design Specialist will develop and analyze energy market recommendations to determine their feasibility and potential to achieve desired outcomes. Individuals in this role will:
- Maintain awareness of relevant public policies and regulations
- Develop market simulations to inform analysis and/or test the efficacy of the design
- Using large data sets analyze the efficiency of NYISO market outcomes
- Research the best practices and market outcomes of other ISO/RTO regions
- Effectively communicate and collaborate with market participants and other key stakeholders
Candidates in this position are expected to develop expertise across a broad set of NYISO processes and build strong relationships with NYISO departments, as well as with external stakeholders and market participants.
- Master's Degree in Engineering, Finance, Economics or related technical field required;
- A minimum of three years of experience including ISO-specific experience with a demonstrated in-depth understanding of the power industry and/or commodity markets required; however, candidates with six months of experience from a related internship, co-op assignment or class project are encouraged to apply.
- Candidates with a strong background in math, including linear algebra and modeling, and/or power systems engineering experience are preferred.
Please note: The position will be filled at the level (i.e. Associate Market Design Specialist, Market Design Specialist, or Senior Market Design Specialist) appropriate with experience and qualifications.
The NYISO takes pride in recruiting, developing and retaining highly talented individuals. In addition to competitive salaries, we offer a comprehensive benefits package and innovative reward programs.
The NYISO offers the flexibility to work both in the office and remotely, providing our employees with an enhanced work life balance. While the majority of the responsibilities of this role can be performed remotely, in most cases, employees will have periodic on-site requirements based on business needs. Full remote opportunities may be available in some cases.
NYISO requires a COVID vaccine as a condition of employment but complies with all state and federal laws. All offers of employment will be made contingent upon the successful completion of a drug screening and background check.
The NYISO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and as such, does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices.
About this Employer
The New York Independent System Operator (NYISO) is responsible for the reliable operation of New York’s nearly 11,000 miles of high-voltage transmission and the dispatch of more than 500 electric power generators. In addition, we administer bulk power markets that trade an average of $7.8 billion in electricity and related products annually.
As a not-for-profit independent system operator, we are governed by a 9-member Board of Directors. Participants and Stakeholders in New York’s electricity markets play a significant role in our unique shared governance system.
We employ more than 550 people and occupy two locations in New York's Capital Region. Given the technical complexity of our mission, over a quarter of the company’s staff are devoted to the development and support of information technology. We have a diverse and engaged workforce, and have been recognized as a top employer in the region.