Manager, Transmission Planning (Colorado) Job
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills and talents to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A position at Xcel Energy could be just what you're looking for.
Applies visionary and strategic leadership in directing the Transmission Asset Management/Planning group in performing transmission planning analyses, participating in various transmission vision, strategy development or project teams and forums, interacting with and influencing locally-focused transmission planning-related organizations, utilities and stakeholders, and developing and implementing a rigorous asset management analysis and prioritization scheme in order to produce and implement a comprehensive, risk-assessed and economic transmission plan and capital budget in compliance with all applicable transmission reliability standards, business unit and corporate objectives. Coordinates with Regional Transmission Planning group to incorporate regionally-focused needs and plans into the overall comprehensive and balanced investment plan. Represents the company in various regional coordinating council, joint planning, and associated regulatory groups and matters.
- Leads and provides vision for the development and coordination of short and long term system models and plans to ensure system reliability, efficiency, economic benefit, and compliance with all applicable transmission reliability standards and local, state and federal requirements. Provides input and required data necessary to develop a justified and prioritized transmission capital budget. Coordinates with Regional Transmission Planning group to incorporate regionally-focused needs and plans into the overall comprehensive and balanced investment plan.
- Develops, recommends, and implements transmission asset management/planning strategies through discussion and negotiations with other internal asset management functions, neighboring utility planning management, RTO/RRO staffs, internal and external regulatory staffs, advocacy groups and other public entities. Develops, implements, and continually improves a rigorous asset management analysis and prioritization scheme in order to develop a comprehensive, risk-assessed and economic transmission plan and capital budget. Manages the development and operation of unit's operating budget including providing updated forecasts and monitoring of results. Ensures alignment with business unit organization and corporate objectives.
- Leads and coordinates TAM participation on project teams to further develop and permit approved plans, including constructability and other assessments. Prepares, sponsors and directs preparation by others of transmission planning and other technical testimony, other regulatory filings and technical studies in support of corporate strategies on behalf on the corporation.
- Provides leadership, direction and training for personnel regarding local and regional planning of the local and interconnected electric delivery system. Directs the work of supporting consultants. Coordinates the activities of the unit with internal and external organizations to support corporate and project team objectives and meet customer needs.
- Represents Company in local/regional/national organizations (e.g. NERC, MAPP, WECC, SPP, EEI, RTO's) and transmission planning forums as necessary. Stays abreast of new technologies and current industry practices. Develops and presents or directs the development and presentation of technical transmission planning information before a variety of public groups and forums as necessary. Provides federal regulatory support and transmission policy analysis support as necessary.
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering is required; Masters of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering or Masters in Business Administration is desirable.
- Professional Engineer registration is preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years of progressive transmission planning/engineering/operations experience is required.
- Previous managerial experience is desirable; demonstrated success in a supervisory or lead role overseeing complex technical projects and relationships for a minimum of four years is required.
- Demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of federal/regional/local planning guidelines, policy and tariff requirements including FERC/NERC/State Utility Commissions and Regional Reliability Organizations (WECC/MAPP/SPP).
- Demonstrated verbal and written communication skills.
- Considerable travel may be involved.
Xcel Energy is committed to the safety of its employees and customers, and promotes a Safety Always culture. Because of this, we strongly encourage all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19; however, vaccination is not mandatory. After being hired, you will asked to report your vaccination status and dates of vaccination. This information will be maintained confidentially and disclosed only on a need-to-know basis. If you are not fully vaccinated or choose not to disclose your vaccination status you will be required to follow any health-and-safety rules applicable to unvaccinated employees.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you're ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: CO - Denver || CO - Denver || United States (US) || Operations || 41770:Transm Planning - West XES || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
The anticipated starting base pay for this position is: $116,000 to $164,666 per year
This position may also be eligible for the following benefits and/or pay components: Pay - Annual Incentive Program, Medical/Pharmacy Plan, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Dependent Care Reimbursement Account, Health Care Reimbursement Account, Health Savings Account (HSA) (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Limited-Purpose FSA (if enrolled in eligible health plan and HSA), Transportation Reimbursement Account, Short-term disability (STD), Long-term disability (LTD), Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Fitness Center Reimbursement (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Tuition reimbursement, Transit programs, Employee recognition program, Pension, 401(k) plan, Paid time off (PTO), Holidays, Personal holidays, Volunteer Paid Time Off (VPTO) (full-time employees only), Parental Leave
Click here to see our benefits
Requisition Number: 49129
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at email@example.com
About this Employer
As a leading electric and natural gas energy company, we offer a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity customers and 1.9 million natural gas customers across our eight states: Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas and Wisconsin.
Our workforce of more than 12,000 is rising to the challenge of a dynamic, constantly-changing utility industry. One that requires us to be even more customer focused, forward thinking and productive while remaining committed to meeting our customers’ fundamental need for safe, reliable, affordable energy.
With nearly 50% of our workforce eligible to retire in the next five years, there’s never been a better time to come on board. Do you have a passion for renewable energy, like wind or solar? Or care about giving back to the community? You’ll be in a position to directly impact our energy future.
At Xcel Energy, you’ll be challenged, respected and rewarded. You’ll find an ethical team committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship. A dynamic company where you’ll have meaningful work that makes a difference.