Manager, Cyber Security Operations Center
The New York Independent System Operator (NYISO) works to make the power grid smarter by developing and deploying innovative information technology solutions to meet New York's dynamic energy needs. The NYISO's Information Technology department invites applications for a full-time Cyber Security Operations Center Manager role.
The NYISO Cyber Security Operation Center's (CSOC) mission is to provide a central point for 24x7x365 continuous security monitoring of NYISO's computing environments and for responding to cyber threats, vulnerabilities and incidents that can disrupt and/or compromise the mission and operation of the NYISO. The Cyber Security Operations Center Manager will oversee a wide range of technical cyber security services with a focus on responding to cyber threats, intrusions, and incidents. This Manager will ensure timely and accurate cyber security event management (including response to cyber threats and vulnerabilities) and provide timely and accurate reporting to NYISO management.
Responsibilities will include:
- Leads all operational security functions, including management of the NYISO's 24/7 Cyber Security Operations Center whose mission is to continuously monitor the threat landscape and immediately respond to events as necessary to protect the NYISO from cyber risks.
- Directs all pertinent activities across the organization during suspected or actual cyber events and incidents, and leads escalation, reporting, and organizational notification as appropriate.
- Establishes effective communications and reporting of security status at all levels of the organization.
- Ensures operational alerting from security platforms such as: Security Impact and Event Management (SIEM) systems, Intrusion Detection and Prevention systems, Endpoint Detection and Response, vulnerability scanners, etc.
- Oversees the ongoing management of a strong security posture by ensuring effective controls and operational plans and processes are in place.
- Provides timely and accurate reporting of cyber security events, metrics, and other operational data
- Ensures strong cyber intelligence and information sharing partnerships are in place
This position involves critical duties and responsibilities that must continue to be performed during crisis situations and contingency operations. The manager will oversee analysts who are required to work shift rotations to support around the clock (24x7x365) coverage of the CSOC.
- Bachelor's Degree (BS) in Information Technology, Cyber Security, Computer Science, or related technical field required; Master's Degree (MS or MBA) is a plus. Relevant military experience, or significant pertinent experience in a cyber security function in an enterprise organization may be considered in lieu of degree requirements.
- Strong knowledge of enterprise and cloud security operations concepts, processes, and control
- 3-5 years of experience in cyber security operations in enterprise organizations
- Strong knowledge of security technology and infrastructure including firewalls, intrusion prevention systems, Security Information and Event Management (SIEM), endpoint protection, and other similar platforms.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to present to an audience on cyber security matters
- Must be able to obtain a DHS Secret Clearance.
The NYISO takes pride in recruiting, developing and retaining highly talented individuals. In addition to competitive salaries, we offer a comprehensive benefits package and innovative reward programs.
The NYISO offers the flexibility to work both in the office and remotely, providing our employees with an enhanced work life balance. While the majority of the responsibilities of this role can be performed remotely, in most cases, employees will have periodic on-site requirements based on business needs.
NYISO requires a COVID vaccine as a condition of employment but complies with all state and federal laws. All offers of employment will be made contingent upon the successful completion of a drug screening and background check.
The NYISO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and as such, does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices.
About this Employer
The New York Independent System Operator (NYISO) is responsible for the reliable operation of New York’s nearly 11,000 miles of high-voltage transmission and the dispatch of more than 500 electric power generators. In addition, we administer bulk power markets that trade an average of $7.8 billion in electricity and related products annually.
As a not-for-profit independent system operator, we are governed by a 9-member Board of Directors. Participants and Stakeholders in New York’s electricity markets play a significant role in our unique shared governance system.
We employ more than 550 people and occupy two locations in New York's Capital Region. Given the technical complexity of our mission, over a quarter of the company’s staff are devoted to the development and support of information technology. We have a diverse and engaged workforce, and have been recognized as a top employer in the region.