Manager, Control Room Operations
The New York Independent System Operator (NYISO) applies cutting-edge technology to operating a reliable electricity system, managing competitive markets for wholesale electricity, and planning for the Empire State's energy future. The NYISO's Operations department invites applications for a full-time Manager, Control Room Operations.
The Manager, Control Room Operations directs Shift Supervisors and Power System Operators in coordinating reliable, compliant, and economic operations of the New York State Power System to meet reliability and compliance with applicable portions of NYISO, NERC, NPCC and NYSRC criteria, standards, policies and tariffs. Additionally, coordinates information exchange and resource management with other NYISO departments, and represents NYISO in reliability discussions with neighboring Reliability Coordinators.
- Associate degree (AAS) in Electrical Technology required; Bachelor's Degree (BS) in Electrical Engineering or Power Engineering desired.
- Ten years of progressively more responsible experience including supervision in power system operations of the NYS Bulk Power System including broad experience in bulk power dispatching, extra high voltage transmission, generation plants, energy management control systems, load scheduling and station operation
- Thorough and demonstrated understanding of the concepts of electrical system operations
- NYISO experience highly desirable; or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- This position requires a current NERC Certification as a Reliability Coordinator.
The NYISO takes pride in recruiting, developing and retaining highly talented individuals. In addition to competitive salaries, we offer a comprehensive benefits package and innovative reward programs.
The NYISO offers the flexibility to work both in the office and remotely, providing our employees with an enhanced work life balance. While the majority of the responsibilities of this role can be performed remotely, in most cases, employees will have periodic on-site requirements based on business needs. Full remote opportunities may be available in some cases.
NYISO requires a COVID vaccine as a condition of employment but complies with all state and federal laws. All offers of employment will be made contingent upon the successful completion of a drug screening and background check.
The NYISO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and as such, does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices.
About this Employer
The New York Independent System Operator (NYISO) is responsible for the reliable operation of New York’s nearly 11,000 miles of high-voltage transmission and the dispatch of more than 500 electric power generators. In addition, we administer bulk power markets that trade an average of $7.8 billion in electricity and related products annually.
As a not-for-profit independent system operator, we are governed by a 9-member Board of Directors. Participants and Stakeholders in New York’s electricity markets play a significant role in our unique shared governance system.
We employ more than 550 people and occupy two locations in New York's Capital Region. Given the technical complexity of our mission, over a quarter of the company’s staff are devoted to the development and support of information technology. We have a diverse and engaged workforce, and have been recognized as a top employer in the region.