Legal/Regulatory Counsel, Senior Legal/Regulatory Counsel
Electric Reliability Council of Texas
ERCOT is committed to fostering diversity and inclusion at all levels of our company. It is the cornerstone of our corporate values of accountability, leadership, innovation, trust, and expertise. We accept and celebrate those that join us and recognize that individuals with a wide variety of talents, ideas, and experiences propel the innovation that drives our success. A diverse and inclusive workforce strengthens us and allows for a collaborative environment to solve the challenges that face our industry today and in the future.
ERCOT offers the flexibility to work both in and out of the office within the state of Texas, providing our employees with an enhanced work life balance.
Be a part of the dedicated and collaborative teams that support the corporate functions of ERCOT. Our teams develop impactful working relationships while leveraging business know-how to support our internal and external customers to maintain the reliability of the electric power grid and wholesale markets.
Provides advice and counsel to internal clients on and executes tasks related to regulatory, compliance, and/or litigation matters. Research and drafts legal documents. Represents ERCOT in judicial, regulatory, and/or legislative matters. Acts as liaison between outside counsel and the organization. Keeps abreast of legislative and regulatory requirements with potential impact to the organization.
- Represents ERCOT in lawsuits and contested administrative proceedings, as needed. Engages in and oversees all elements of litigation, including drafting pleadings, managing discovery, preparing document production, case strategy, and advocacy
- Represents ERCOT in rulemaking projects and other regulatory proceedings before the Public Utility Commission of Texas and other state and federal agencies
- Prepares, edits, and publishes various reports and filings required by Public Utility Commission of Texas rules
- Advises employees and stakeholders regarding the interpretation of applicable law, including the ERCOT Protocols, Other Binding Documents, and other rules and documents
- Assists employees and stakeholders in drafting revisions to ERCOT Protocols, Other Binding Documents, and other rules
- Oversees legal aspects of public information requests, ensuring that requests are answered fully and in a timely manner, while maintaining the confidentiality of sensitive information
- Participates in audits and other compliance activities
- Performs research in connection with Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) proceedings, and prepares Position Statements
- Leads and responds to audits and other compliance activities
- Demonstrates mastery of legal issues central to success of critical regulatory functions
- Develops and delivers regulatory legal expertise in an important and complex aspect of ERCOT's legal needs
- Serves as leader of major projects, including primary oversight of regulatory and litigation matters
- Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action
- Provides guidance to junior counsel
- Requires minimum 5 years related work experience in excess of degree requirements with experience in electric industry regulation and/or litigation
- Requires minimum 10 years related work experience in excess of degree requirements with experience in electric industry regulation and/or litigation
Corporate & Senior Requirements
- Bachelor's Degree: Any discipline (Required)
- PhD: Juris doctorate (Required)
- or a combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge to a major in such fields is required
- Admitted to practice before the State Bar of Texas (Required)
The foregoing description reflects the minimum qualifications and the essential functions of the position that must be performed proficiently with or without reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities. It is not an exhaustive list of the duties expected to be performed, and management may, at its discretion, revise or require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned. This job description is not intended to create a contract of employment with ERCOT. Both ERCOT and the employee may exercise their employment-at-will rights at any time.
About this Employer
The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) manages the flow of electric power to more than 26 million Texas customers -- representing about 90 percent of the state’s electric load. As the independent system operator for the region, ERCOT schedules power on an electric grid that connects more than 52,700+ miles of transmission lines and 1,030+ generation units, including PUNs. It also performs financial settlement for the competitive wholesale bulk-power market and administers retail switching for 8 million premises in competitive choice areas. ERCOT is a membership-based 501(c)(4) nonprofit corporation, governed by a board of directors and subject to oversight by the Public Utility Commission of Texas and the Texas Legislature. Its members include consumers, cooperatives, generators, power marketers, retail electric providers, investor-owned electric utilities, transmission and distribution providers and municipally owned electric utilities.