Lead IT Systems Administrator Job
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills, talents and education to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A professional position at Xcel Energy could be just what you're looking for.
The Lead Systems Administrator is responsible for installing, configuring, maintaining and restoring services to operating systems and IT functions. They independently maintain the integrity of the systems through oversight to changes and participation in incident and problem management activities and user support. They lead users and technical teams during service restoration events. They deploy new systems and oversee technical aspects of changes on existing systems or infrastructure. They provide technical leadership within the realm of their expertise.
- Problem Management - Helps others in resolving complex problems; adapts or modifies established approaches. Identifies and selects appropriate tools, data, and analysis techniques to diagnose problems and develop solutions. Balances competing short- and long-term goals. Provides problem management for complex production incidents. Provides support for systems testing and validation activities. Participates in and contributes to problem reviews. Drives adherence to Incident and Problem protocol.
- Operational Support - Performs software installations and upgrades to systems. Schedules installations and upgrades and maintains them. Analyzes system requirements and performance of systems, and develops specific measures to increase efficiency. Develops and promotes standard operating procedures. Monitors and assesses system health, exposing risk as appropriate.
- User Support - Provides in depth technical information to users as appropriate. Assists users in identifying complex technical problems and devising solutions. Advises users on available approved technologies. Works with users to develop solutions. May act as user liaison on projects.
- Communications - Writes and presents reports and proposals for internal and external audiences. Interprets other viewpoints and assimilates them into work processes. Formally transfers technical or administrative knowledge to others. Actively participates in regular status meetings. Prepares written status reports and responses to customer inquiries.
- Five years of related functional experience.
- Bachelor's degree in Technology, Science, Business or related field, or 4 years of experience equivalent to the position.
- In-depth knowledge and experience with all types of operating systems; HW, SW, desktop, mobile, etc.
- Familiarity with at least one platform type (e.g. Internally hosted, SaaS, IaaS, etc.) with demonstrated aptitude to learn other platforms.
- Experience leading system change deployment and facilitating service restoration discussions.
- Has taken leadership role in small projects or parts of larger projects.
- Strong communication skills, effective with varying organizational levels and skill sets.
- Strong Relationship Management and collaboration skills, with a track record of working as one team cross-organizationally to drive innovation and business results.
- Platform Standards for Redhat Enterprise Linux for virtual and physical servers.
- Kubernetes environment.
- Created platform cookbooks for hardware and OS installations using Chef.
- Installation of applications using Ansible.
- Used programming languages Python and Ruby to automate tasks.
- Supported teams using Ansible, Chef, and OpenShift.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you're ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: CO - Denver || CO - Denver; CO - Golden; MN - Minneapolis || United States (US) || Customer And Innovation || 56783:IT-AIX/Linux Operations || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
Requisition Number: 24717
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org