Lead Digital Systems Architect
Idaho National Laboratory
Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is seeking a digital engineering candidate to lead new cloud, edge, and fog deployments of new digital twin projects for the Digital Engineering department. This researcher will focus on developing groundbreaking capabilities with the digital engineering initiative for advanced energy systems in the cloud. Digital, model-based approaches will transform current engineering practices, securely connecting people, processes, data, and capabilities across an end-to-end digital ecosystem. Our team works a hybrid 9x80 schedule located at our Idaho Falls facility with every other Friday off. . At manager discretion, this position can be a remote position for the right candidate.
- Serve as principal investigator and/or technical lead over medium sized projects or major tasks within large projects/programs.
- Lead teams to accomplish scope within cost and schedule.
- Work on problems of diverse scope and complexity and only under general supervision with very little day-to-day instruction.
- Technical modeling includes extensive use of mathematics, statistics, logic, and computer programming languages in the design, development, optimization, and testing of models that approximate physical entities or processes.
- Simulation covers the techniques that either show events over a period of time, allow feedback of operator responses into real-time control functions that enhance realism by coordinated multi-sensor operator inputs, or incorporate real-time evaluation of operator performance.
- Liaison frequently with internal customer contacts and continue to grow external partner and customer network; including sometimes representing our organization externally.
- Support and lead the development of new projects, including proposal and business plans.
- Provide guidance and act as an advisor on multiple digital engineering programs.
- Work with the relationship manager, group lead, and department manager to capture new customers and write proposals.
- Lead contributor to peer-reviewed journal articles, presentations, reports, and other professional activities.
- Apply, on a broad basis, existing theories and concepts to a specialty field.
- Stays ahead of in technology; solves wide range of complex problems;
- Principal Investigator (PI) or Co-PI on projects
- Grows internal & external technical networks, recognized technical expert.
- Build internal and external network
- Develops new division capabilities and creates new opportunities
- Mentors junior staff
- Level 2: BS and 2 years experience, or MS and 1 years experience or PhD
- Level 3: BS and 5 years experience, or MS and 3 years experience or PhD and 2 years experience
- Degree must be in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Systems Engineering or related
- Proven ability to complete computational projects through publications, copyrights, and/or invited presentations.
- Demonstrated experience contributing to and working within the boundaries of strong project and program management methodologies.
- Personable, detailed oriented, and experience in working with management and technical personnel at all levels.
- A strong promoter of team play, good verbal and written communication.
- Position will involve some travel and working outside of normal working hours.
- Position will require frequent journal publication
- Programming, database, and analysis experience with at least 50% of the following: C, C++,C#, Java, Matlab, Python, R, Jupyter Notebook, Node.JS, Graph Databases, SQL Databases, NoSQL Databases
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy "Q" clearance, which requires US Citizenship.
- Amazon Web Services, Azure, Google Cloud Platform, and/or other cloud certificates.
- Salary Grade: 210 / 220
- Chosen applicants are required to show a demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working environment.
- Multi-Level: This is a multi-level posting and the selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level dependent on depth and breadth of proven experience and skills.
INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory dedicated to supporting the U.S. Department of Energy's mission in nuclear energy research, science, and national defense. With more than 5,000 scientists, researchers, and support staff, the laboratory works with national and international governments, universities and industry partners to discover new science and development technologies that underpin the nation's nuclear and renewable energy, national security, and environmental missions.
Our mission is to discover, demonstrate and secure innovative nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical infrastructure.
Our vision is to change the world's energy future and secure our nation's critical infrastructure.
Selective Service Requirements:
To be eligible for employment at INL men born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS). For more information see www.sss.gov.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
INL is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide EEO to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
COVID Safety Protocols:
As a condition of employment, INL will inquire about COVID vaccination status and expects candidate compliance with all required COVID safety protocols, including mask-wearing as applicable.
INL has implemented a required vaccination policy effective immediately requiring all new hires must be vaccinated against COVID - 19 as a condition of employment, unless exempt under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, or other applicable state or federal law. In accordance with INL's duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, we are adopting this policy to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors, and the community at large from infectious diseases that may be reduced by vaccinations.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
When applying to positions please provide your resume and answer all questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for consideration.
INL does not accept resumes from third party vendors unsolicited.
Benefits & Salary:
We have an extremely competitive salary structure, robust relocation package, and a phenomenal benefits package. For more information, please visit: https://www.inl.gov/careers/benefits-overview
About this Employer
Part of the U.S. Dept. of Energy’s complex of national laboratories, INL performs work in each of the strategic goal areas: energy, national security, science & environment. INL is the nation’s leading center for nuclear energy research & development.