Lead Assistant General Counsel, Regulatory Job
Location(s): MN - Minneapolis
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills and talents to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A position at Xcel Energy could be just what you're looking for.
About Xcel Energy and the General Counsel Team
Xcel Energy is a leading provider of electricity and natural gas service in the United States with service territory in Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas, and Wisconsin. At Xcel Energy, we are dedicated to building a carbon-free future:
- We were the first major U.S electricity provider with a vision to serve customers with 100% carbon-free electricity by 2050 and to reduce carbon emissions 80% by 2030 company-wide from 2005 levels.
- Through our innovative electric vehicle programs, we are working to remove carbon not only from our own electricity generation, but also from the transportation sector in the states we serve.
- At the same time, we are dedicated to keeping our customers' bills low with advanced electricity rates and energy efficiency programs.
In the General Counsel organization, you will have the opportunity to actively assist the teams developing these programs and to work with our regulators to bring the Company's vision to reality.
The Lead Assistant General Counsel (Regulatory) position is a leadership role that provides legal counsel to Xcel Energy and its subsidiaries regarding regulatory matters in Minnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Michigan, and manages outside counsel. This role also works with leaders across the Company, directs strategy for complex, high-level legal and policy matters, and manages a team of utility regulatory lawyers.
This role involves drafting and editing legal documents and policies; representing the Company before regulatory bodies; engaging with Company leaders and external stakeholders; leading internal project teams and external consultants and counsel; and interfacing with other business units within the Company. Skills that are needed to be successful in this role include:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent oral advocacy skills
- Ability to handle complex legal matters on a regular basis, including the ability to develop and executive creative solutions to challenging legal and regulatory issues.
- Experience leading teams and/or cross-functional organizational initiatives
- Ability to effectively manage and motivate a team
- J.D. degree from ABA accredited law school; licensed to practice in state where position is located
- 10 or more years of practice in corporate law department, law firm, government practice or equivalent experience.
- Leadership experience required.
- Experience managing people or leading cross-functional teams on significant initiatives.
- Experience with and knowledge of state and federal regulatory requirements relating to public utility regulation inMinnesota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, South Dakota, Michigan, and/or the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships internally and externally, particularly with executive level leaders and key external stakeholders and regulators.
- First-Chair advocacy experience in front of regulators or decision makers for matters of significant strategic or financial consequence to clients.
- Experience working with a legislative affairs team to influence legislative outcomes across multiples states and the federal government that impact the company or energy policy more broadly.
At Xcel Energy, you'll receive a market-competitive total rewards package that includes a lot more than just a paycheck: health care coverage and wellness plans, dental and eye care coverage, a 401(k) plan with a company match contribution, and (for most employees) a fully-paid pension, paid time off, and life and disability insurance. In addition, many of our employees are recognized for their accomplishments with incentive pay.
We're actively engaged in our communities, and because of that, you'll receive 40 hours of paid volunteer time off each year. We even match up to 100 hours of your off-hours volunteer time at $10 per hour, so the qualifying nonprofits you support get twice the benefit. Between the Xcel Energy Foundation, our annual United Way Campaign, and our many other efforts,we're committed to the communities we serve , andstrongly encourage our employees to give back.
Xcel Energy is committed to the safety of its employees and customers, and promotes a Safety Always culture. Because of this, we strongly encourage all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19; however, vaccination is not mandatory. After being hired, you will asked to report your vaccination status and dates of vaccination. This information will be maintained confidentially and disclosed only on a need-to-know basis. If you are not fully vaccinated or choose not to disclose your vaccination status you will be required to follow any health-and-safety rules applicable to unvaccinated employees.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you're ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: MN - Minneapolis || MN - Minneapolis || United States (US) || General Counsel || 80010:Deputy General Counsel || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
The anticipated starting base pay for this position is: $156,000 to $220,666 per year
This position may also be eligible for the following benefits and/or pay components: Pay - Annual Incentive Program, Pay - Long Term Incentive, Medical/Pharmacy Plan, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Dependent Care Reimbursement Account, Health Care Reimbursement Account, Health Savings Account (HSA) (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Limited-Purpose FSA (if enrolled in eligible health plan and HSA), Transportation Reimbursement Account, Short-term disability (STD), Long-term disability (LTD), Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Fitness Center Reimbursement (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Tuition reimbursement, Transit programs, Employee recognition program, Pension, 401(k) plan, Paid time off (PTO), Holidays, Personal holidays, Volunteer Paid Time Off (VPTO) (full-time employees only), Parental Leave
Click here to see our benefits
Requisition Number: 53212
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
About this Employer
As a leading electric and natural gas energy company, we offer a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity customers and 1.9 million natural gas customers across our eight states: Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas and Wisconsin.
Our workforce of more than 12,000 is rising to the challenge of a dynamic, constantly-changing utility industry. One that requires us to be even more customer focused, forward thinking and productive while remaining committed to meeting our customers’ fundamental need for safe, reliable, affordable energy.
With nearly 50% of our workforce eligible to retire in the next five years, there’s never been a better time to come on board. Do you have a passion for renewable energy, like wind or solar? Or care about giving back to the community? You’ll be in a position to directly impact our energy future.
At Xcel Energy, you’ll be challenged, respected and rewarded. You’ll find an ethical team committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship. A dynamic company where you’ll have meaningful work that makes a difference.