UniSource Energy Electric
If you’re looking for a career with a company with a focus on working in a manner that prevents injury, providing safe, reliable service to its customers, and making a difference in the communities it serves, then you've come to the right place.
We're more than a utility company.
UniSource Energy Services (UES) provides safe, reliable electric service to more than 91,000 customers in Mohave and Santa Cruz counties. The Santa Cruz district is comprised of Nogales and the surrounding communities, located in southern Arizona. We're also a local leader in community service and volunteerism.
UES provides a full benefit package, including a pension and 401(k) with a company match.
$49.43 per hour
Relocation assistance available.
An employee who is a journeyman and who performs all phases of construction, operation and maintenance of all types and kinds of metering equipment service installations not involving climbing poles or other structures, and in accordance with Company standards and other Company and/or governmental rules and regulations. This employee shall possess leadership abilities so that he/she can safely direct and train apprentices in the duties of a Journeyman Meterman and performs such direction and training whenever called upon.
- Install, program, test, troubleshoot and repair electronic meters and other electronic equipment.
- Wire, install, test and maintain all new and existing commercial meters, including primary voltage revenue meters. Install buss and doughnut type current transformers.
- Perform investigations of residential and commercial metering problems, make repairs and/or advise customers of possible solutions for their problems.
- Work on energized equipment at secondary voltage levels not to exceed 600 volts.
- Construct and maintain primary metering equipment only when the equipment has been determined to be de-energized and grounded by other qualified journeyman classifications.
- Maintain good public relations while interacting with customers, local contractors, and city and county electrical inspectors.
- Utilize personal computers to program electronic meter registers, download data recorders, complete daily reports and upload metering information onto the company’s CIS system.
- Inspect new meter panels to verify that company, local and other agency requirements are met.
- Read demand meters and calculate readings.
- Perform work on Itron Fixed Network, installation and repairs of collectors and repeaters including trouble-shooting communication issues.
- Perform work on Landis & Gyr RF Mesh IP Network (AMI), installation and repairs of collectors and repeaters including trouble-shooting communications issues.
- Perform programming and wiring of capacitor controllers.
- Complete work in a safe, professional and timely manner.
- This position may provide services to affiliates of the Company subject to the UNS Energy Code of Conduct and the related Policies and Procedures.
- Operate aerial equipment associated with their work.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must have successfully completed a metering apprenticeship or comparable apprenticeship or training program.
- Ability to investigate and resolve complaints and problems relating to metering promptly and efficiently.
- Assist in investigating meter diversion and tampering complaints.
- Conduct metering audits verifying that all meters and metering equipment are properly installed and working accurately to ensure quality revenue metering.
- Inspect and calibrate switchboard-type single and multifunction meters and associated equipment.
- Ability to read and interpret technical manuals, vector analysis, perform metering calculations using algebra and trigonometry, carry out all phases of calibration, repair and maintenance of meters
- Ability to read blueprints or drawings of items to be made or repaired
- Working knowledge of computer hardware and software as it pertains to the metering industry
- Ability to construct, maintain, and install secondary metering equipment both energized and de-energized
- Execute independent judgment in decision making
- Train and instruct apprentices and other employees in metering practices, installations and safety procedures
- Ability to work in all weather conditions.
- Ability to work overtime and emergency call out duties.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 70 pounds.
- Ability to walk and carry/move equipment and materials over uneven ground and obstacles in rights-of-way, under a variety of conditions.
- Must have a valid driver’s license with a medical card
- Knowledge of ACC Rules and Regulations as they apply to the electrical industry is a plus.
All employees are expected and required to adhere to the Company Code of Ethics and Principles of Conduct.