Journey Line Technician/Lineman
San Miguel Power Assn., Inc.
This is a Bargaining Unit position • SMPA offers a housing allowance, assistance with relocation, and an excellent benefits package • Medical, dental, vision, long-term disability, and life insurance • Employee Assistance Program • 401K with company match • 4-10 flexible work schedule • Paid vacation, holiday, and personal leave • Training and growth opportunities • Health and wellness equipment on-site and available to use • Employee events
Minimum job specifications
This job requires:
- A High School diploma or equivalent.
- A completed valid four-year Apprenticeship Program recognized by the Bureau of Apprenticeship and Labor.
- An employee to read, write and evaluate situations.
- Working knowledge in distribution, transmission, and substation, underground and overhead installations, methods, and procedures.
- Working knowledge of all regulatory compliance, DOT, Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasure, OSHA and SMPA safety procedures.
- To be certified and have thorough knowledge of first aid and CPR and use of AED.
- An employee to represent the co-op in a progressive, positive, and professional manner in all relationships, both internal and external.
- Strong computer skills in relation to the position.
- A valid Class A, Commercial Colorado driver’s license.
essential job functions
San Miguel Power Association reserves the right to change or modify the duties and job functions of this position at any time. Essential job functions may be assigned with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Constructs, maintains, and retains a working knowledge of SMPA’s transmission and distribution electrical system.
- Effectively participates in tail-board discussion and carries out tasks assigned to area line crew.
- Performs standby as scheduled to answer trouble calls.
- Troubleshoots outages.
- Follows all work processes from start to completion. Safely operates, inspects, and maintains company vehicles, tools, and equipment as outlined in SMPA’s policies, procedures, and Safety Manual.
- Maintains a safe work site and ensures that safe work practices are being followed.
- Completes all necessary reports relating to job briefings, truck maintenance, daily time and mileage reports, staking sheets, oil samples, switching orders, transformer changes, OCR & sectionalizer changes, pole and underground maintenance reports, outage reports, etc. as required to maintain proper communication, files, and documentation.
- Works to resolve issues in the field or as they arise in a positive and professional manner.
- Assists in the training and mentoring of Apprentice Line Technicians.
- Practices good housekeeping in all aspects of work.
- Other duties as assigned.
knowledge & Skills
- Knowledge of principles and practices in line construction service and operations and maintenance requirements in an electric distribution system.
- Ability to read and interpret staking sheets, all RUS specifications and line construction assemblies, the NEC and National Electric Safety Code.
- The ability to interpret the Cooperative’s layout of electrical substation, transmission and distribution lines.
- A working knowledge of the policies and procedures of San Miguel Power Association.
- The ability to complete certification courses offered through SMPA that are relevant to position.
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal skills.
- The understanding and application of the concept of providing quality electric service to SMPA members and commitment to superior customer service.
ESSENTIAL MENTAL & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Exposure to adverse elements of weather, electric shock and magnetic fields.
- Strenuous physical labor, including heavy lifting over 50 lbs., climbing, balancing, bending, reaching, standing, sitting, walking, pulling, hearing, talking (must speak English clearly), seeing, smelling, crawling, and grasping.
- Attention to detail on a daily basis.
- The ability to work overtime on short notice and flexibility to work during emergency situations.
- Work is primarily in the field.
- Frequent travel by company vehicle throughout SMPA’s service territory is required.
- Occasional travel by commercial means.
OTHER DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. An employee will also perform other business duties as assigned by immediate supervisor or other management as required. This position may work overtime as required or assigned.
This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract.