IT Operations Network Engineer
Georgia System Operations Corporation
- Challenging and exciting ground-floor opportunity to provide Network Operations support for the power grid and rural broadband expansion
- Be part of building the internet in Georgia - support core Internet links to entire cities!
- Not the standard corporate IT department; we don't support end users.
- Career growth into Network Architecture, Network Engineering, Cyber Security, and Industrial Control Systems
- Experience with carrier grade equipment (100GB+) and advanced protocols (OSPF, BGP, MPLS, Leaf/Spline)
- Following contract-to-hire,
- Nationally competitive pay with up to 15.5% contributions to 401k (During your first year of employment, the company will match 75% of the first 6% of your 401k contributions per pay period, a maximum of 4.5%. After one year of employment the company contributes 11% per pay period to your 401k, resulting in a maximum company contribution of 15.5% per pay period.)
- Mentorships, tuition reimbursement, paid certifications, and growth oriented corporate culture.
- Very little travel required.
- Experience working in a high security environment .
This is a unique opportunity to support and protect the largest machine on the planet: the electrical power grid. GSOC centrally operates a state-wide fiber optic network as well as highly secure datacenters with a focus on Georgia power grid operations. This infrastructure is being extended into CLEC and IXC telecom provider services to support rural broadband as local EMC's bring high-speed internet solutions to their customers. GSOC is offering a ground floor opportunity to work directly on 100G+ transport systems as they are designed and installed.
This position offers experience with a variety of carrier grade equipment (such as ROADM), datacenter equipment, and hardened field equipment not found in traditional enterprise environments. These devices include administration of complex implementations of MPLS, BGP, OSPF, and leaf/spline datacenter fabrics as well as the tools used for monitoring, alerting, and management.
Unlike many other IT opportunities this position does not require travel - remote hands are provided by professional field technicians across the state. GSOC takes both physical and cyber security very seriously so candidates must be willing to work on-site in a high security environment.
GSOC offers the opportunity for career growth into related areas such as IT Architecture, Cyber Security, and Industrial Control Systems, with programs that include tuition reimbursement for college and paid training for certifications such as CCNP, and CCIE. GSOC is dedicated to the development of its employees and maintains a strong growth-based corporate culture; this is not only a great job with many possibilities, it is also an investment in your future.
This position includes nationally calibrated competitive pay, opportunities for growth, mentorship, and great retirement benefits. In 2017, GSOC was recognized as one of the best places to work by Georgia Trend magazine.
GSOC Annual Report:
Georgia Trend magazine:
- IT Operations Network Engineer III
- Provide technical management and coordination of network projects across the fiber network and datacenters (>1200 locations).
- Configure, install, turn-up, and test network equipment and services.
- Support escalated network issues from the Security and Network Operations Center.
- Develop tools and processes for the automation and scripting of large scale changes and deployments, configuration backup, OS updates, etc. (>8000 devices).
- Lead analyses of network performance and recommend solutions to identified deficiencies including availability, utilization, capacity, latency, and alert response.
- Participate in the creation and review of operational documentation such as procedures, templates, knowledge articles, and configuration standards.
- Provide technical expertise during events such as staff training, incident review, analysis of hardware and transport failure.
- Support communications to customers and staff on issues and maintenance; generate outage reports with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Senior IT Operations Network Engineer ( In addition to the above duties)
- Provide technical leadership for the management, operation, and performance of the overall network.
- Coordinate Network Operations with peer teams on Power Delivery, Network Engineering, and Broadband project initiatives.
- Recommend and engineer solutions to improve performance, stability, failover, and management.
- Define standards for tools, configuration, and documentation of network procedures.
- Assist department Program and Training Analysts to identify improvements to staff processes.
Education : Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology, Computer Science, Business Administration, or related field.
- IT Operations Network Engineer III:
- 4 years' experience preferred in Network Engineering or Operations (equivalent experience may be considered in Telecommunications, Information Technology, Industrial Control Systems, or related Business Administration).
- Professional experience with Cisco routing, switching, firewall. Juniper, Arista, Palo Alto and industrial equipment are a plus.
- Professional experience in the following: BGP, EIGRP, DMVPN.
- Desired experience with MPLS-TE, EVC, eVPN.
- Able to demonstrate technical responsibility in projects, troubleshooting.
- Administrative experience with tools for configuration, deployment, audit. Scripting skills are a plus.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Senior IT Operations Network Engineer:
- 6 years' experience preferred in Network Engineering or Operations (equivalent experience may be considered in Telecommunications, Information Technology, Industrial Control Systems, or Business Administration).
- Professional routing, switching, firewall experience with Cisco, Juniper. Arista, Palo Alto and industrial equipment are a plus.
- Professional experience desired in MPLS-TE, EVC, eVPN, BGP, EIGRP, DMVPN; cloud provider connectivity a plus.
- Implementation experience with tools for configuration, deployment, audit. Scripting skills are a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- IT Operations Network Engineer III:
- Associates Degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology, Computer Science, Business Administration, or related field with at least 6 years of experience as stated above.
- 8 years of experience as stated above.
- Senior IT Operations Network Engineer:
- Associates Degree in Engineering, Engineering Technology, Computer Science, Business Administration, or related field with at least 8 years of experience as stated above.
- 10 years of experience as stated above.
Licenses, Certifications, and/or Registrations : Must obtain and maintain Bulk Electric System Cyber Authorized Status as defined in GSOC's CIP Cyber Security Policy 301 and NERC Reliability Standard CIP 004 - Personnel Risk Assessment (training provided by GSOC). Technical certifications such as CCNA, CCDP, or other equivalent is preferred.
- Expertise in routing, switching, or network security using various equipment vendors. Familiarity with product families such as Cisco routers, Arista, Juniper routers, etc.
- Experience with Network Management and Monitoring tools such as Solarwinds, Splunk, Tripwire, and others.
- Computer literate - proficient in the use of remote access software, MS/Word, Visio, Excel, and PowerPoint.
About this Employer
Georgia System Operations Corporation is an independent, not-for-profit system operations company owned by our Members: 38 of Georgia’s distribution electric membership corporations (the Member Systems), Oglethorpe Power Corporation and Georgia Transmission Corporation. As the system operator, GSOC ensures reliable, independent system operations by controlling and monitoring electric generation, transmission and distribution assets owned by Oglethorpe Power Corporation, Georgia Transmission Corporation, Smarr EMC, the Member Systems and their power supply partners. The company enables its Members’ participation in the energy market in Georgia and the Southeast by providing a range of operations services that allow our Members to transact, optimize and account for their business in the wholesale energy market.