IT Network Consultant (Cisco SD-WAN)
IT Network Consultant (Cisco SD-WAN)
Job Requisition Number
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to the job plus four (4) years of related experience in a focused technology.
- Experience may substitute for education up to four (4) years.
- Master's Degree in a related field may substitute for two (2) years of experience.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
Notes to Applicants
Austin Energy seeks an IT Network Consultant to provide overall network engineering and firewall support for a broad range of real-time network platforms. The consultant's job duties include designing, documenting, and building network solutions; maintaining various network components; using experience to recommend new technologies and solutions. This position requires on-call rotation to support 24-hour utility operations and travel to different sites to survey and integrate network solutions.
The primary duties of the position:
- Resolve and document NERC / CIP issues
- Act as SME for compliance and audit efforts
- Administer and build network security devices
- Administer advanced firewalls in a real-time network to include multi-context and standalone firewalls
- Administer modeling software and review business rules for access
- Troubleshoot advanced systems/topologies/storage and support critical customers in a utility environment
- Provide collaborative input to infrastructure planning and design
- Travel to more than one work location to perform work and participate in on-call rotation within the 24-hour utility operations
I MPORTANT INFORMATION :
Working with Austin Energy provides a number of health and welfare benefits such as low-cost medical, dental, vision, paid leave time, a highly competitive retirement plan, career development opportunities and more. Please click HERE for more information.
• The City of Austin employment application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered.
• Please be sure to detail on the application all current and previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
• The Employment Record should be complete with job titles, employment dates, job duties, functions, and responsibilities for each position held. Starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience from your application.
• Résumés will not be accepted and statements such as "see résumé" will not be accepted. You may use "N/A" for fields that are not applicable.
• Please note that Austin Energy may close the job posting at any time after 7 days from the date of the initial advertisement. Once the job posting has closed, applications cannot be changed.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
• Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED , undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution.
• If you are identified as a top candidate and are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
• This position requires a criminal background investigation.
If you are selected for this position, and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
Fair Labor Standards Act:
This position is considered FLSA Exempt. Exempt employees are salaried and, except as provided, are not eligible for overtime compensation
Monday through Friday
Supporting 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. activity - 40 Hour Work Week.
May work evenings, weekends or holidays. Schedule may change based on business need.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
78741 - Currently telecommuting
- Technology experience within a NERC / CIP or similarly-regulated environment.
- Experience implementing and maintaining complex and robust technology networks.
- Experience monitoring and troubleshooting network complex switches, routers, and firewalls including Software-Defined (SD) networks Cisco ISE , DNA Center, ACI , etc., or similar.
- Experience with routing protocols, specifically Border Gateway Protocol ( BGP ), Open Shortest Path First ( OSPF ), Extended Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol ( EIGRP ).
- Experience managing Next Generation Firewalls ( NGFW ) like Palo Alto, Fortinet, or similar.
- Progressive experience with automation of work processes and procedures using scripting languages.
- Ability to travel to more than one work location.
- CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate).
- CCNP (Cisco Certified Network Professional).
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
- May provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge, at an expert level, of networking/telephony operating systems and network/telephony monitoring and management applications.
- Knowledge of industry and department best practices, requirements and policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of networking and internet protocols and connectivity issues.
- Knowledge of network capacity planning.
- Skill in network forensics.
- Skill in locating illegal network technologies.
- Skill in securing network technologies.
- Skill in applying, monitoring and maintaining appropriate security configurations.
- Skill in design, development, installation and maintenance of telecommunications links.
- Skill in installing and maintaining network operating systems and networking equipment.
- Skill in documenting and maintaining complex network configurations.
- Skill in reviewing bandwidth requirements and system interdependencies.
- Skill in selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new concepts.
- Skill in facilitating meetings of diverse stakeholders.
- Ability to accurately identify/determine customer needs and take appropriate actions and/or steps to address identified needs.
- Ability to recognize, value, and include different perspectives, experiences, approaches, and cultures in achieving organizational goals.
- Ability to gain and maintain the trust and confidence of others and the organization through consistency and reliability.
- Ability to give, receive, or share thoughts, ideas, perspective, and data to create shared understanding.
- Ability to inspire, motivate, and influence others to achieve individual and collective goals.
- Ability to make sound decisions in a timely manner that solve issues and stand the test of time.
- Ability to recognize, plan, focus upon, and work toward what is most important or critical.
- Ability to recognize strengths and areas for improvement in others and to provide opportunities, guidance, and encouragement to build skills and capacity.
- Ability to recognize, manage, and resolve conflict efficiently and equitably.
- Ability to see a broad view of an issue or challenge across typical organizational lines and beyond the present.
- Ability to create, convey, and instill a unified vision and purpose.
- Ability to see past the moment and adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to achieve organizational goals and objectives.
- Ability to navigate relationships involving complex, emotional, and/or value-based issues in order to influence and achieve positive results.
- Ability to define, analyze, and find solutions for difficult or complex problems.
- Ability to view the big picture .
- Ability to quickly become familiar with emerging technologies.
- Ability to identify trends as well as isolated events.
Criminal Background Investigation
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual's AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
About this Employer
Austin Energy is one of the largest publicly owned electric utilities in the nation, providing low-cost reliable power to more than 500,000 customers and more than 1 million residents. Our mission is to deliver clean, affordable, reliable energy and excellent customer service.
We are industry leaders in conservation and renewable energy, developing some of the most comprehensive energy efficiency programs in the nation. We purchase renewable energy from wind, solar and biomass facilities to minimize our impact on the environment, and are recognized as a top-ranked Texas utility for green power sales.
As a publicly owned utility, we do more than provide power to our customers. We participate in dozens of community outreach events each year, contribute to Austin’s economic growth and continue to make strides in our commitment to environmental excellence.