INTERNSHIP – Information Technology – Software Engineering
The New York Independent System Operator (NYISO) applies cutting-edge technology to operating a reliable electricity system, managing competitive markets for wholesale electricity, and planning for the Empire State's energy future. The NYISO invites applications for a full-time summer intern on the Software Engineering team.
This intern will participate in the design, development, testing, and maintenance of software to meet business and customer needs. The software engineering intern will be paired with another developer on each assignment and will be given several different assignments from a variety of product teams to gain experience developing small enhancements for internal users, upgrading software components and/or developer tooling, and configuring and/or customizing vendor-provided packaged software.
Expected duties and responsibilities include:
- Write high-quality code that satisfies customer needs and strives for simplicity, clarity, and testability.
- Collaborate with team members and stakeholders (e.g. business analysts, business owners, project managers, and end users) to understand functional and non-functional requirements.
- Investigate and propose solutions to development and design problems.
- Participate in scope of work estimation and forecasting.
- Adhere to architecture, design, implementation, and security standards and best practices.
- Participate in code reviews.
- Conduct analysis to determine integration needs.
- Implement unit and integration tests and conduct functional and performance testing where appropriate.
- Improve performance of existing software by diagnosing and resolving issues.
- Prepare technical documentation, including software design, test results, and technical manuals.
- Current enrollment in a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or similar technical program
- Experience with development platforms a plus (e.g. AWS, Docker, Kubernetes)
- Understanding of software development lifecycles.
- Ability to work both independently and on a team.
- Ability to communicate complex technical information to various stakeholders verbally and in writing.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills.
- Growth mindset and a willingness to learn new skills, technologies, and frameworks.
The NYISO takes pride in recruiting, developing and retaining highly talented individuals. Our summer internship programs give young professionals the opportunity to gain a fundamental understanding of New York electricity markets, bulk electricity systems and how we plan for New York State's energy future.
All offers of employment will be made contingent upon the successful completion of a drug screening and background check.
The NYISO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and as such, does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices.
About this Employer
The New York Independent System Operator (NYISO) is responsible for the reliable operation of New York’s nearly 11,000 miles of high-voltage transmission and the dispatch of more than 500 electric power generators. In addition, we administer bulk power markets that trade an average of $7.8 billion in electricity and related products annually.
As a not-for-profit independent system operator, we are governed by a 9-member Board of Directors. Participants and Stakeholders in New York’s electricity markets play a significant role in our unique shared governance system.
We employ more than 550 people and occupy two locations in New York's Capital Region. Given the technical complexity of our mission, over a quarter of the company’s staff are devoted to the development and support of information technology. We have a diverse and engaged workforce, and have been recognized as a top employer in the region.