Integrated Planning Intern- MN & CO Job
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills and talents to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A position at Xcel Energy could be just what you're looking for.
Xcel Energy has an exciting opportunity for an intern to join the Integrated Planning team in Minneapolis & Denver.
Is it time to see how all those college courses translate to the real world? Are you ready to work alongside experienced professionals on real projects and issues? An internship at Xcel Energy will give you practical experience in the energy industry at a company that's committed to excellence, safety, and environmental stewardship. If you have ever been curious about the process for bringing energy generating resources onto the electric grid, how Xcel Energy will reduce carbon emissions while meeting the changing landscape of the electric system, or any number of questions about how to plan for the electric grid of the future, then an internship in resource planning might be the right fit for you.
Participate and assist in the long-range integrated planning process. Support the NSP, PSCO, or SPS resource planning teams as they plan the electric and gas system and identify the path to a carbon free future. Prepare quantitative analysis and research topics related to identifying plans for generation, transmission, distribution, and gas resources within the Xcel Energy portfolio. Apply computer programming techniques to help streamline data management and quality checks and support modeling to quantify the risk associated with different planning options.
- Support the development and maintenance of the long-range resource planning model. Ensure accuracy of model input assumptions and verify that simulations and optimizations are functioning correctly.
- Perform research to inform internal stakeholders and company positions on various issues. Analysis includes competitive market intelligence on peer utilities, regulatory developments, state and federal policy and best practices for integrated planning activities.
- Interface and work with Forecasting, Risk Management, Trading, Fuel Supply, Transmission Operations, and other Xcel groups to incorporate short-term and long-range considerations into the optimal resource plans, including transmission constraints, growth forecasts, fuel and electricity market price risks, etc.
- Apply knowledge from coursework to support modeling activities such as the development of modeling input assumptions, stochastic analysis, and scenario and sensitivity analysis.
- Research new techniques in quantitative optimization for application to resource planning analysis.
- Coursework in engineering, finance, economics, operations research, mathematics, computer programming, business, or related discipline
- Intermediate to advanced Excel skills, including knowledge of pivot tables
- Graduate work in finance, economics, operations, decision analysis, or related disciplines
- Familiarity with financial concepts
- Experience with computer programming tools including R and Python
Xcel Energy is committed to the safety of its employees and customers, and promotes a Safety Always culture. Because of this, we strongly encourage all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19; however, vaccination is not mandatory. After being hired, you will asked to report your vaccination status and dates of vaccination. This information will be maintained confidentially and disclosed only on a need-to-know basis. If you are not fully vaccinated or choose not to disclose your vaccination status you will be required to follow any health-and-safety rules applicable to unvaccinated employees.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you're ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: MN - Minneapolis || MN - Minneapolis; CO - Denver || United States (US) || Integrated System Planning || 25410:Integrated Planning || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
The anticipated starting base pay for this position is: $20.40 per hour
This position may also be eligible for the following benefits: Pension, 401(k) plan, Paid time off (PTO), Holidays, Personal holidays
Requisition Number: 48388
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
About this Employer
As a leading electric and natural gas energy company, we offer a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity customers and 1.9 million natural gas customers across our eight states: Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas and Wisconsin.
Our workforce of more than 12,000 is rising to the challenge of a dynamic, constantly-changing utility industry. One that requires us to be even more customer focused, forward thinking and productive while remaining committed to meeting our customers’ fundamental need for safe, reliable, affordable energy.
With nearly 50% of our workforce eligible to retire in the next five years, there’s never been a better time to come on board. Do you have a passion for renewable energy, like wind or solar? Or care about giving back to the community? You’ll be in a position to directly impact our energy future.
At Xcel Energy, you’ll be challenged, respected and rewarded. You’ll find an ethical team committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship. A dynamic company where you’ll have meaningful work that makes a difference.