Idaho National Laboratory
Idaho National Laboratory's (INL) Environment, Safety, and Health (ES&H) Advanced Test Reactor (ATR) Complex Nuclear Operations group is seeking forward-thinking professionals interested in exploring a career as an Industrial Hygienist! Our team works an on-site 4x10 schedule with every Friday off.
- Develop, recommend and implement programs, policies, and procedures associated with the recognition, measurement, evaluation, and control of chemical, physical, and biological health hazards.
- Work on complex IH issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variables and factors.
- Exercise judgement in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Work without appreciable direction.
- Train, guide and mentor junior IH staff.
- Review work control documents.
- Identify and analyze hazards associated with work activities.
- Establish appropriate hazard controls and mitigations for identified hazards.
- Assist in the development of facility/project work control and procedure documents.
- Perform IH Exposure Assessments (EAs) and sampling activities to characterize employee exposures to hazardous agents.
- Communicate EA and sampling data results to management and employees.
- Provide technical support and information to line management, including support to increasingly complex industrial hygiene issues.
- Communicate industrial hygiene program and policy requirements as they apply to planned or existing facility/program activities and structures.
- Provide guidance to facility/project specific safety and operational goals and initiatives.
- Represent line management review committees, operational safety boards, or review committees.
- Prepare and submit work status reports and letters by management.
- Interacts with senior internal personnel on significant matters requiring coordination between organizations.
- Lead work place assessments, including area/job walk-downs, company level management reviews, and external customer assessments.
- Provide follow-up investigation and analysis of industrial hygiene related accidents, illnesses and events.
- Level 3: ABET accredited Industrial Hygiene BS degree or related degree recognized by the ABIH for professional certification and 5 years industrial hygiene experience or MS ABET accredited Industrial Hygiene degree or degree recognized by the ABIH for professional certification or related degree accepted by the ABIH and 3 years industrial hygiene experience or PhD ABET accredited Industrial Hygiene degree or degree recognized by the ABIH for professional certification and 2 years industrial hygiene experience.
- Level 4 Baccalaureate of Science ABET accredited Industrial Hygiene degree or degree recognized by the ABIH for professional certification or related degree plus 8 years relevant experience, Masters of Science Degree ABET accredited Industrial Hygiene degree or degree recognized by the ABIH for professional certification.
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy "L" clearance, which requires US Citizenship.
- Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH).
- Salary Grade: 200 / 220
- Chosen applicants are required to show a demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working environment.
- TDP: Testing designated position: you will be required to submit to a pre-employment drug screen and periodic drug testing throughout the term of your employment.
- Multi-Level: This is a multi-level posting and the selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level dependent on depth and breadth of proven experience and skills.
INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory dedicated to supporting the U.S. Department of Energy's mission in nuclear energy research, science, and national defense. With more than 5,000 scientists, researchers, and support staff, the laboratory works with national and international governments, universities and industry partners to discover new science and development technologies that underpin the nation's nuclear and renewable energy, national security, and environmental missions.
Our mission is to discover, demonstrate and secure innovative nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical infrastructure.
Our vision is to change the world's energy future and secure our nation's critical infrastructure.
Selective Service Requirements:
To be eligible for employment at INL men born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS). For more information see www.sss.gov.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
INL is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide EEO to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
COVID Safety Protocols:
As a condition of employment, INL will inquire about COVID vaccination status and expects candidate compliance with all required COVID safety protocols, including mask-wearing as applicable.
INL has implemented a required vaccination policy effective immediately requiring all new hires must be vaccinated against COVID - 19 as a condition of employment, unless exempt under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, or other applicable state or federal law. In accordance with INL's duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, we are adopting this policy to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors, and the community at large from infectious diseases that may be reduced by vaccinations.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
When applying to positions please provide your resume and answer all questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for consideration.
INL does not accept resumes from third party vendors unsolicited.
Benefits & Salary:
We have an extremely competitive salary structure, robust relocation package, and a phenomenal benefits package. For more information, please visit: https://www.inl.gov/careers/benefits-overview
About this Employer
Part of the U.S. Dept. of Energy’s complex of national laboratories, INL performs work in each of the strategic goal areas: energy, national security, science & environment. INL is the nation’s leading center for nuclear energy research & development.