Income Tax Consultant- Hybrid Job
Hierarchy: No - We can only hire at the posted level
Union Position: Non-Bargaining
This position will lead and coordinate the Income Tax Compliance & Accounting group's efforts to provide accurate and timely income tax reporting information and analysis through the use of efficient and effective processes. The position will provide high-level technical expertise and leadership in all income tax accounting matters, and will coordinate the handling of reviews performed by internal and external financial auditors for GAAP, Regulatory, and Sarbanes-Oxley purposes. The position will also coordinate efforts to file and defend the corporate federal and state income tax returns and the computation of estimated tax payments.
- Participate at a high technical level in the computation, recording and documentation of current and deferred tax accruals to ensure compliance with IRS, GAAP, regulatory income tax accounting and public utility normalization requirements and the Sarbanes-Oxley provisions. Coordinate the department's efforts in this area and consolidate the results. Coordinate and assist with the audit of income taxes by external financial auditors.
- Coordinate the preparation and timely filing of all federal and state income tax returns. Participate in review of returns, prepare consolidations where applicable, and assist with analysis of results. Demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of federal, state, and international (as it applies to U.S. tax filings) income tax laws and regulations. Coordinate the preparation and review of quarterly estimated federal and state income tax payments in a manner that minimizes company cash requirements.
- Represent the company to tax authorities in regard to tax return matters through the administration of the audit process. Provide timely responses to IDRs, and coordinate other efforts to keep ongoing audits current. Facilitate the resolution of issues to attain the lowest fair tax payable. Provide in-depth research, experience and creative thinking to the process of gathering facts, evaluating alternative positions, and determining strategies.
- Direct the day-to-day activities of the income tax analysts and senior analysts and assist in coordinating the overall activities of the Income Tax Compliance and Accounting group. Secure assistance and manage, to the extent possible, projects involving persons outside the department including external consultants.
- Keep abreast of current changes in tax laws, regulations, and rulings. Demonstrate ability to inform department management of the nature and effect of changes and if appropriate, recommend courses of action. Monitor and evaluate initiatives and trends that impact the industry. Develop and maintain contacts both inside and outside the company for purposes of seeking out tax minimization opportunities.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting
- 4-6 or more years experience with large corporate income taxes
- Ability to effectively communicate information and recommendations to department management
- CPA, JD or Master's degree in Business Taxation preferred
Xcel Energy is committed to the safety of its employees and customers, and promotes a Safety Always culture. Because of this, we strongly encourage all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19; however, vaccination is not mandatory. After being hired, you will asked to report your vaccination status and dates of vaccination. This information will be maintained confidentially and disclosed only on a need-to-know basis. If you are not fully vaccinated or choose not to disclose your vaccination status you will be required to follow any health-and-safety rules applicable to unvaccinated employees.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you're ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: MN - Minneapolis || MN - Minneapolis || United States (US) || CFO Organization || 75600:Tax Services || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
The anticipated starting base pay for this position is: $77,000 to $109,666 per year
This position may also be eligible for the following benefits and/or pay components: Pay - Annual Incentive Program, Medical/Pharmacy Plan, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Dependent Care Reimbursement Account, Health Care Reimbursement Account, Health Savings Account (HSA) (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Limited-Purpose FSA (if enrolled in eligible health plan and HSA), Transportation Reimbursement Account, Short-term disability (STD), Long-term disability (LTD), Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Fitness Center Reimbursement (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Tuition reimbursement, Transit programs, Employee recognition program, Pension, 401(k) plan, Paid time off (PTO), Holidays, Personal holidays, Volunteer Paid Time Off (VPTO) (full-time employees only), Parental Leave
Click here to see our benefits
Requisition Number: 47752
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at email@example.com
About this Employer
As a leading electric and natural gas energy company, we offer a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity customers and 1.9 million natural gas customers across our eight states: Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas and Wisconsin.
Our workforce of more than 12,000 is rising to the challenge of a dynamic, constantly-changing utility industry. One that requires us to be even more customer focused, forward thinking and productive while remaining committed to meeting our customers’ fundamental need for safe, reliable, affordable energy.
With nearly 50% of our workforce eligible to retire in the next five years, there’s never been a better time to come on board. Do you have a passion for renewable energy, like wind or solar? Or care about giving back to the community? You’ll be in a position to directly impact our energy future.
At Xcel Energy, you’ll be challenged, respected and rewarded. You’ll find an ethical team committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship. A dynamic company where you’ll have meaningful work that makes a difference.