Hydro Electrical Technician
PIC Group, Inc.
Title: Hydro Technician Level 1
Position Type: Direct Hire
Location: Plattsburgh, NY
Reports to: Site Supervisor
The Hydro Technician Level 1 will complete the site training program and should be capable of the independent operation of assigned hydro facility equipment such as turbines, pumps, valves, gates, fans, electrical control boards, and battery banks. The Hydro Technician Level 1 monitors equipment operation and performance and makes the necessary adjustments to ensure optimal performance. The Hydro Technician Level 1 is also responsible for the daily operation of assigned hydroelectric power plant facilities and rotating / on-call responsibilities will be part of this position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs all tasks in a safe and efficient manner.
- Must be qualified on the daily checks of the hydro generating station and its associated equipment and the reporting of possible malfunctions.
- Report environmental concerns to Site Supervisor.
- Perform preventative or corrective containment or cleanup measures in the hydroelectric plant to prevent environmental contamination, with supervision.
- Implement the emergency action plan associated with dams and waterways with direct supervision.
- Aid in the documentation of all activities associated with the operations of maintenance of the hydro plant.
- Assist with the troubleshooting, maintenance, repairs, disassembly and re-assembly of large and complex equipment such as piping systems, gear boxes, drive mechanisms, pumps, compressors, hydraulic power and pressure unites, valves, gates, trash racks, turbines, motors, and generators.
- Assist in testing, adjustments, services, and maintenance on various mechanical meters and gates used in measuring capacity, flow, pressure, temperature, and velocity of liquids.
- Repair and maintain all buildings and grounds on associated properties.
- Perform assigned duties in substation operation under close supervision.
- Assist qualified personnel in performing switching duties associated with the isolation of station and equipment for operations and maintenance purposes.
- Assist electricians when required in the function of their duties under direct supervision.
- Assist in the construction, installation and maintenance of various flashboard systems.
- Provide support in the budgeting process for the sites assigned.
- Provide support for the maintenance as required by the Site Supervisor.
- Assist with Dam Safety Inspections as directed.
- Ability to run station cranes, hoist and other lifting equipment.
- Must be capable of the operation of plant vehicles and heavy equipment.
- Must possess a strong mechanical aptitude.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Must be able to read and understand mechanical, hydraulic, and civil drawings for us of troubleshooting equipment.
- Ability to use mechanical testing and measuring equipment, such as gauges, dial indicators, calipers, and micrometers.
- Knowledge in the use of mechanical hand tools and power tools.
- Must be able to perform welding, burning, cutting, and grinding as required.
- Must posses a working knowledge of personal computers, mobile phones, and associated hardware and software.
- Must have excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team and involve others in decisions when appropriate.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- Must be able to travel as needed.
- Knowledge of Health and Safety Awareness guidelines.
- Ability to prioritize workload to meet deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail.
- May be required to work overtime.
- Working in varied outdoor environments such as all-weather conditions, all noise levels, hazardous conditions, and on the full range of outdoor work surfaces.
- The frequent use of protective equipment (i.e., hard hats, safety glasses, air masks, ear protection, chemical suits, hot gloves and high voltage protective equipment, etc.) may be required. Work with hazardous materials may also be required.
- Working in proximity to high voltages and current with proper training and equipment, operating heavy equipment and rolling stock and entering confined spaces or hazardous environments may be required while often being exposed to equipment and machinery noises.
- Duties require walking, standing for extended periods of time, crawling, stooping, sitting, climbing vertical and inclined ladders and stairs, operation of large valves and other tasks requiring up to 100 lbs. of pulling or turning force, and lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs. Exposure to extreme heat and cold.
- Eye and hand coordination are required to operate switches, pushbuttons, and other controls.
- Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust and focus.
- All candidates will participate in the post-offer drug screening.
Education / Experience:
- Successful completion of vocational or trade school specializing in mechanical trades with four years of on-the-job experience in the mechanical field performing maintenance and repair work required.
- Hydroelectric power plant experience is preferred, but not required.
About this Employer
PIC Group, Inc., established in 1988 and headquartered in Atlanta, GA, is a global provider of service solutions to the power generation industry. PIC Group’s comprehensive portfolio of services supports all aspects of power project development including installation, outage, commissioning and start-up, operations and maintenance, documentation and training, and project support. As of March 2008, PIC Group, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marubeni Corporation, a publicly listed company headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.