Forecasting Advisor - Regulatory Affairs
Forecasting/quantitative specialist needed for evolving natural gas and energy demand sector. Performs full spectrum of demand forecasting, quantitative data analysis and statistical model building assignments including preparation, monitoring and reporting of short-term and long-term gas demand forecasts, and providing support in analyzing financial impact of major business and regulatory issues. Provides support to business units in billing data and revenue consulting, Core and non-Core gas demand forecasting, system and regional peak gas demand forecasting, and participates in various regulatory proceedings, such as the General Rate Case, Cost Allocation Proceeding, California Gas Report, and California Integrated Energy Policy Report. Assists with monitoring of economic forecasts used as demand forecast inputs Supports the development of business unit strategic plans.
Duties and Responsibilities
Coordinates and prepares daily core customer demand forecasts.
Coordinates with other business units to prepare demand forecasts by customer class for Cost Allocation Proceedings.
Coordinates with other business units, other utilities and regulatory agencies to prepare the California Gas Report.
Prepares analysis and reports of financial and billing data to assist company and business unit management achieve performance targets.
Coordinates with other business units and prepares customer consumption data reports/analysis.
Develop/sponsor expert testimony pertaining to demand forecast in various regulatory proceedings.
Performs business unit process analyses including modifying and/or improving the process as business needs change.
Provides support in the enhancement/development of various demand forecast models, including with the monitoring of economic forecasts used as demand forecast inputs.
Perform other duties as assigned (no more than 5% of duties).
- Bachelor's Degree in finance, economics, statistics, mathematics or related field required.
- Master's Degree in finance, economics, statistics, mathematics or related field preferred.
- 5 years experience in quantitative data analysis, dealing with large data sets, ability to check data quality, and summarizing results.
- 3 years experience gathering and analyzing complex data, developing statistical forecasting models, model validations, and determine financial impacts of major business and regulatory issues required.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to interpret statistical, regulatory and financial/economic theories and concepts, and evaluate/develop existing/alternative statistical models to meet the Company’s current business and regulatory needs.
- Effectively communicate complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to technical and non-technical audience
- Strong negotiation and interpersonal skills to persuade and influence those with divergent opinions toward consensus.
- Advanced understanding of the inter-relationship of "utility rate making", demand, and retail rate concepts.
- Knowledge of economic and statistical principles and computer programming (i.e., SAS, R, Python, EViews, etc,).
- Familiarity with economic forecast vendor databases (i.e., IHS Markit, Moody’s Analytics)
- Must have a thorough understanding of economic and statistical principles and methodologies (e.g. forecasting based on regression models).
- Must have the ability to interpret statistical and financial/economic theories and to apply them in problem solving.
- Must have the ability to identify issues, analyze data, develop, recommend, and implement solutions.
- Must possess initiative, decision-making skills and problem-solving abilities.
- Blended: Work a mix of onsite and remote each week, typically 2-3 days onsite per week.