Idaho National Laboratory
Idaho National Laboratory's (INL) Fire Department Operations group is seeking forward-thinking professionals interested in exploring a career as a Firefighter.
- Upon completion of training and applicable certification, operate medical and fire rescue-related tools, equipment, instruments, and maintain proficiency in all Fire Department apparatuses.
- Perform a variety of emergency mitigation services in fire suppression, technical rescue, hazardous material releases, and in emergency medical incidents. Operate pickups, wildland units, HAZMAT unit, Special Operations unit, ambulances, water tender, and fire engines. Perform other discipline-related activities.
- Perform preventative maintenance inspections and minor maintenance on emergency apparatus and equipment. Ensure work is conducted using the five Core Functions of Integrated Safety Management System (ISMS). Clearly define the scope of work, identify and analyze the hazards, develop and implement hazard controls, ensure work is performed within established controls, and solicit and provide feedback on the adequacy of controls.
- Participate in training exercises and drills to establish proficiency in all aspects of emergency mitigation.
- Conduct inspections, testing, and maintenance of emergency-related equipment for support of fire protection operations.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- EMT basic certification and two years of fire experience. A relevant degree will be considered in lieu of experience.
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy "L" clearance, which requires US Citizenship.
- Licensed paramedic.
- All rates described below can vary based upon individual work location, clearances, and qualifications. Rates are accurate for current posting and subject to change. These are bargaining unit positions.
- This job posting is for a firefighter that will be in the INL Fire Academy which is a 4-10 hour work week. Academy may last up to 22 weeks, and the hourly wage while at the Academy will be: $23.72/hr.
- Upon successful graduation from the Academy, firefighter/EMTs will be moved to the firefighters' schedule which is a 48/96 work schedule (2-24 hours shifts on duty followed by 4 days off).
- Once the firefighter/EMT is placed online, the pay scale will change for both, and the yearly pay will range between $68,000 and $74,000.
- Those that are EMT Paramedics will be required to be credentialed (approximately 6 months) and pay will increase to approximately $80,000.
- Chosen applicants are required to show a demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working environment.
- TDP-Testing designated position; you will be required to submit to a pre-employment drug screen and periodic drug testing throughout the term of your employment.
Growing INL: An Overview of New Facilities and Capabilities
Our mission is to discover, demonstrate and secure innovative nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical infrastructure.
Our vision is to change the world's energy future and secure our nation's critical infrastructure.
Selective Service Requirements
To be eligible for employment at INL males born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS). For more information see www.sss.gov.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
When applying to positions please provide a resume and answer all questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for consideration.
INL does not accept resumes from third party vendors unsolicited.
Benefits, Salary, and Relocation
We have an extremely competitive salary structure and phenomenal benefits. For more information, please visit: https://www.inl.gov/careers/benefits-overview/
About this Employer
Part of the U.S. Dept. of Energy’s complex of national laboratories, INL performs work in each of the strategic goal areas: energy, national security, science & environment. INL is the nation’s leading center for nuclear energy research & development.