Field Service Engineer - Boiler
PIC Group, Inc.
Title: Field Service Engineer - Boiler
Position Type: Contract
Reports to: District Service Manager
PIC Group has an excellent opportunity for an experienced Boiler Field Service Engineer to provide expert advice and direction for projects, outage inspections, tuning, troubleshooting, and field assistance to meet the customer's required emissions, efficiency, and operational parameters. The Boiler Field Service Engineer will report to the District Service Manager for utility and industrial coal, gas, biomass, and waste facilities across the country. The Boiler Field Service Engineer is based out of his home location and required to travel to customer sites across the United States in support of operations and maintenance outages.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Identifies and implements boiler tuning of the controls, fuel, and firing systems to meet operational requirements.
- Performs equipment inspections and troubleshooting of boiler, environmental equipment, piping, burners, etc.
- Commission and start-up new and retrofit projects during the final project phase, checking out and placing new/retrofit equipment into service.
- Review operating history and recent changes to the boiler system.
- Identify, troubleshoot, and help solve mechanical and performance problems as requested.
- Evaluates Distributed Control System programs and parameters.
- Works with customer operators and technicians to troubleshoot any operating issues.
- Provides advice on changes or repairs needed to achieve operating goals.
- Determines what appropriate systems require tuning and directs operators to the proper changes.
- Collect and analyze operational/performance data for determining whether or not objectives are being met.
- Work closely with department members and operations experts to achieve the desired results.
- Document all changes and tuning activities for submittal to proper plant authorities.
- Document and prepare reports on any future improvements that can be made to improve operation and/or efficiency.
- Full working knowledge of power plant operations, boilers, and environmental equipment.
- Working knowledge with utility and industrial sub-critical, super-critical, and package boiler systems in operation today.
- Ability to troubleshoot boiler systems and provide clear direction.
- Knowledge of current operating control systems and how to direct required changes.
- Competent in the use of engineering standards, applicable ASME test codes, and all associated boiler codes.
- Knowledge of boiler operations including design, construction, operation and maintenance of steam generator systems and auxiliary equipment.
- Knowledge of mechanical engineering principles such as heat transfer rates, combustion efficiency, thermodynamics, and fluid mechanics.
- Ability to handle multiple activities (multi-task), good organizational skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office and Lotus Notes.
- Good customer relationship skills, as well as good written & oral communication skills.
- Basic mechanical aptitude and skills such as the ability to use tools and measuring devices.
- Ability to read drawings and documentation.
- Compliance with company specific safety and health requirements and OSHA regulations including lock-out/tag-out principles.
- Strong documentation and organizational skills.
- This position requires physical dexterity, i.e., crawling extended distances, bending, average lifting (<50 lbs.), and the ability to enter boiler and auxiliary equipment through existing access doors and openings.
- The ability to work in confined spaces and at heights is also a general requirement.
- Work environment: varied high and low temperatures, indoors and outdoors, high noise levels, around hazardous equipment, and chemicals.
Education / Experience:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering OR equivalent education and/or experience is required.
- 5+ years' experience with utility and industrial boiler operations and service.
PIC Group, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer competitive wages and benefits. We seek out and employ talented individuals who meet the qualifications for each position. Due to the large number of responses we receive to our postings, only those applicants with the required experience and qualifications will be contacted.
About this Employer
PIC Group, Inc., established in 1988 and headquartered in Atlanta, GA, is a global provider of service solutions to the power generation industry. PIC Group’s comprehensive portfolio of services supports all aspects of power project development including installation, outage, commissioning and start-up, operations and maintenance, documentation and training, and project support. As of March 2008, PIC Group, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marubeni Corporation, a publicly listed company headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.