Experiment Manager - Mid Level/Advanced
Idaho National Laboratory
Idaho National Laboratory's (INL) Post Irradiation Exam & PRJ Ex group is seeking forward-thinking professionals interested in exploring a career as an Experiment Manager - Mid Level/Sophisticated.
Provide direction to and coordination among highly specialized teams of research scientist and engineers. Prepare and process engineering deliverables and collaborate in the development of new experiment procedures and processes when applicable. Provide leadership to experiment teams across multiple technical subject areas and support functions, including quality, regulatory, engineering, analysis, experiment instrumentation, etc. Uses specific knowledge about one or more technical areas to research, plan, communicate, and achieve objectives through project/program team. Is responsible for a team as they plan, track, and implement project plans from start to completion.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage teams responsible for design, analysis, fabrication, irradiation, shipment, and examination of first-of-a-kind experiments planned for irradiation in a nuclear reactor and post irradiation examinations in nuclear facilities
- Manage technical experiment interfaces, provide leadership to the experiment team, and gather, analyze, and implement corrective actions for experiment risk, cost, scope, and schedule, including technical landmarks
- Provide direction to and coordination among highly specialized teams of research scientist and engineers focused on nuclear fuel and material testing (irradiation and post irradiation examination)
- Prepare and process engineering deliverables
- Identify needed experiment team to accomplish experiment goals and objectives and work with line management on assignment of staff
- Collaborate in the development of new experiment procedures and processes
- Assist in initial experiment negotiations with national and international customers
- Prepare and complete the Experiment Execution Plan, Functional and Operational Requirement, Post Irradiation Examination Plans, and experiment Data Packages
- Identify and resolve experiment issues and implementing scope as agreed in the Experiment Execution Plan
- Organize and provide managerial leadership to experiment teams across multiple technical subject areas and support functions, including quality, regulatory, engineering, analysis, experiment instrumentation, etc.
- Represent the Idaho National Laboratory (INL) in business discussions and commitments made to customers
- Collaborate with external national and international entities, representing the INL in business discussions for experiment results in the advancement of nuclear initiatives and technologies
- Maintain direct customer interface and collaboration, engage strategically with INL, other DOE laboratories, and industry
- Develop and lead experiment project scope, budget, and execution schedules
- Prepare and submit monthly experiment highlight reports
- BS in Engineering or related technical field & 5 yrs experience, Advanced Degree in engineering or related technical field & 3 yrs experience, or PhD in Engineering or other technical field & 2 yrs
- BS in Engineering or related technical field & 8 yrs experience, Advanced Degree in engineering or related technical field & 6 yrs experience, or PhD in Engineering or other technical field & 4 yrs
- Direct work experience in field
- Must possess demonstrated experience in providing leadership, strategic and tactical planning, and overall leadership and execution of large, complex, and technically meaningful programs requiring multidisciplinary integration across multiple organizations
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy "L" / "Q" clearance, which requires US Citizenship
Experience and knowledge pertinent to completing work in accordance with standards of ASME NQA-1 2000 as implemented by the INL Quality Program or equivalent.
- Knowledge of nuclear fuels and materials, experience in the design, fabrication and/or execution of irradiation experiments, and an understanding of nuclear reactor systems, theory, and safety regarding experiment implementation at a nuclear reactor/facility
- Knowledge of relevant information and individual judgment to determine whether events or processes align with laws, regulations, or standards.
- Giving full attention to what people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times
- Communications skills, including providing information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person
- Analytical reasoning skills including using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar
- The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences
- The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand
- Salary Grade: 220, ($104,688 - $172,668) /230, ($118,020 - $200,808)
- Chosen applicants are required to show a demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working environment.
- Multi-Level: This is a multi-level posting and the selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level dependent on depth and breadth of proven experience and skills.
INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory dedicated to supporting the U.S. Department of Energy's mission in nuclear energy research, science, and national defense. With more than 5,000 scientists, researchers, and support staff, the laboratory works with national and international governments, universities and industry partners to discover new science and development technologies that underpin the nation's nuclear and renewable energy, national security, and environmental missions.
Our mission is to discover, demonstrate and secure innovative nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical infrastructure.
Our vision is to change the world's energy future and secure our nation's critical infrastructure.
Selective Service Requirements:
To be eligible for employment at INL men born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS). For more information see www.sss.gov.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
INL is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide EEO to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
COVID Safety Protocols:
As a condition of employment, INL will inquire about COVID vaccination status and expects candidate compliance with all required COVID safety protocols, including mask-wearing as applicable.
INL has implemented a required vaccination policy effective immediately requiring all new hires must be vaccinated against COVID - 19 as a condition of employment, unless exempt under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, or other applicable state or federal law. In accordance with INL's duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, we are adopting this policy to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors, and the community at large from infectious diseases that may be reduced by vaccinations.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
When applying to positions please provide your resume and answer all questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for consideration.
INL does not accept resumes from third party vendors unsolicited.
Benefits & Salary:
We have an extremely competitive salary structure, robust relocation package, and a phenomenal benefits package. For more information, please visit: https://www.inl.gov/careers/benefits-overview
About this Employer
Part of the U.S. Dept. of Energy’s complex of national laboratories, INL performs work in each of the strategic goal areas: energy, national security, science & environment. INL is the nation’s leading center for nuclear energy research & development.