ENGINEER*SR - ENG762 Job
Job Grade: C
Hierarchy: No - We can only hire at the posted level
Union Position: Non-Bargaining
Applies extensive technical expertise, and has full knowledge of other related disciplines. Performs as a staff advisor and consultant in a technical specialty, a type of facility or equipment, or a program function. Carries out complex or innovative assignments requiring the development of new or improved techniques and procedures. Work is expected to result in the development of new/improved techniques and procedures or new/refined equipment, materials, processes, products, and/or scientific methods. Represents the organization as the prime technical contact on contracts and projects and interacts with senior external personnel on significant technical matters often requiring coordination between organizations. Work is performed without appreciable direction and considerable latitude is exercised in determining technical objectives of assignment. Guidance relates largely to overall objectives, critical issues, new concepts and policy matters. Completed work is reviewed from a relatively long- term perspective, for desired results. May assign tasks to and direct engineers, technicians, craft personnel and administrative staff, including coordination and review of work assignments. Responsible for (and may lead) multiple projects of moderate to large size or portions of major projects.
- Applies extensive technical expertise and has an understanding of the basic principals of other related disciplines. Fully demonstrates the unique technical skills and core competencies for this engineering level by applying technical standards, principles, theories, concepts, and techniques to lead projects of moderate to large size, scope and complexity.
- Largely self-directed work is expected to result in the development of new or improved techniques, procedures and standards. Supports the development of technical documentation (including but not limited to designs, testing, calculations, reports, standards, etc.)
- Without appreciable direction exercises considerable latitude in determining ongoing technical support for project activities within areas such as Operations, Maintenance, Testing/diagnostics and Regulatory. Provides field engineering oversight and direction for activities such as support , testing, installation, inspections, commissioning etc.
- Coordinates/leads multiple projects or portions of projects (including phases such as research, design, equipment selection, procurement, installation and commissioning). May lead more critical projects with oversight of a higher level engineer or supervisor.
- Represents the organization as the prime technical contact in the bid/evaluation processes including preparation of bid documents, completion of technical evaluations for proposals and providing recommendations for selection. Interacts with senior external personnel on significant technical matters often requiring coordination with internal and external organizations.
- Effectively and with precision resolves difficult technical/business matters both inter-organizationally and with outside customer/vendors with all formats of communication.
- May assign tasks to and/or direct engineers, technicians, craft personnel and other support staff including coordination and review of work assignments. Provides guidance and mentoring to less experienced engineers. Responsible for continuous self development of technical skills and competencies.
- Leads activities such as budgeting, estimating, forecasting, accounting, work order management, in support of engineering projects.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering from ABET accredited curriculum (or recognized equivalency)
- 5+ years relevant engineering experience required for Senior Level
- We may hire at a lower level commensurate with relevant experience
- EIT/FE (Engineer in Training/Fundamentals of Engineering) required for Senior Level
- PE (Professional Engineer License) and 9+ years relevant engineering experience required for Principal Level
- Ability to demonstrate the unique technical skills and core competencies for this engineering level established & documented by the organization.
Xcel Energy is committed to the safety of its employees and customers, and promotes a Safety Always culture. Because of this, we strongly encourage all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19; however, vaccination is not mandatory. After being hired, you will asked to report your vaccination status and dates of vaccination. This information will be maintained confidentially and disclosed only on a need-to-know basis. If you are not fully vaccinated or choose not to disclose your vaccination status you will be required to follow any health-and-safety rules applicable to unvaccinated employees.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you're ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: MN - St Paul || MN - St Paul || United States (US) || Operations and Generation || 50105:ES PO REL Eng BD HB RS || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
The anticipated starting base pay for this position is: $90,000 to $120,000 per year
This position may also be eligible for the following benefits and/or pay components: Pay - Annual Incentive Program, Medical/Pharmacy Plan, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Dependent Care Reimbursement Account, Health Care Reimbursement Account, Health Savings Account (HSA) (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Limited-Purpose FSA (if enrolled in eligible health plan and HSA), Transportation Reimbursement Account, Short-term disability (STD), Long-term disability (LTD), Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Fitness Center Reimbursement (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Tuition reimbursement, Transit programs, Employee recognition program, Pension, 401(k) plan, Paid time off (PTO), Holidays, Personal holidays, Volunteer Paid Time Off (VPTO) (full-time employees only), Parental Leave
Click here to see our benefits
Requisition Number: 53204
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
About this Employer
As a leading electric and natural gas energy company, we offer a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity customers and 1.9 million natural gas customers across our eight states: Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas and Wisconsin.
Our workforce of more than 12,000 is rising to the challenge of a dynamic, constantly-changing utility industry. One that requires us to be even more customer focused, forward thinking and productive while remaining committed to meeting our customers’ fundamental need for safe, reliable, affordable energy.
With nearly 50% of our workforce eligible to retire in the next five years, there’s never been a better time to come on board. Do you have a passion for renewable energy, like wind or solar? Or care about giving back to the community? You’ll be in a position to directly impact our energy future.
At Xcel Energy, you’ll be challenged, respected and rewarded. You’ll find an ethical team committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship. A dynamic company where you’ll have meaningful work that makes a difference.