Engineering Intern Job
Location(s): MN - Monticello; MN - Minneapolis; MN - Welch
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills and talents to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A position at Xcel Energy could be just what you're looking for.
Xcel Energy's Nuclear Organization is hiring Engineering Interns for Janurary or May 2023 start date. Internship opportunities will be available in Minnesota at our Nuclear Generating Plants in Monticello, Welch, and at our fleet office in downtown Minneapolis.
Ideal candidates will have a 3.0+ GPA, have completed at least their sophomore year, and have demonstrated leadership skills and applicable extra-curricular activities. First consideration will be given to local students in Engineering programs, students who will be in a juniorstatus after the winter of 2022 semester,and don't require sponsorship in the future.
Through practical field experience and mentoring, successful candidates will gain significant professional confidence and people skills. Work with the Engineering staff to complete tasks spanning all aspects of a commercial operating nuclear generating plant.Tasks may include:
- Assist senior Mechanical Engineers on design calculations, drawings, analysis, and data analysis (Mechanical)
- Assist senior Electrical Engineers on set point calculations, and analysis (Electrical)
- Assist senior engineers for implementation of design packages (Electrical, Mechanical)
- Assist senior Engineers to develop and/or Enhancing Programs (lay out) (Electrical, Mechanical, Nuclear)
- Assist senior Engineers to develop a new innovation (Electrical, Mechanical)
- Perform plant walk-downs to gather Engineering Data (Electrical, Mechanical, Nuclear)
- Thermodynamic, Hydraulic and Fluid Flow Calculations (Mechanical)
- Enhance Engineering Procedures (Electrical, Mechanical, Nuclear)
- Enhance Engineering Drawing (Electrical, Mechanical)
- Database development/maintenance (Electrical, Mechanical, Nuclear)
- T ravel may be required between work sites during normal business hours. Not to exceed 2 days per week.
- Must be enrolled in an ABET accredited engineering program, or be enrolled in a technical, mathematics, or computer science program
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to communicate effectively; both written and verbally
- Must be self- motivated and have the ability to work well with others
- Must be interested in a hands-on work approach
Xcel Energy is committed to the safety of its employees and customers, and promotes a Safety Always culture. Because of this, we strongly encourage all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19; however, vaccination is not mandatory. After being hired, you will asked to report your vaccination status and dates of vaccination. This information will be maintained confidentially and disclosed only on a need-to-know basis. If you are not fully vaccinated or choose not to disclose your vaccination status you will be required to follow any health-and-safety rules applicable to unvaccinated employees.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you're ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: MN - Minneapolis || MN - Monticello; MN - Minneapolis; MN - Welch || United States (US) || Nuclear Rollup || 45605:FT PI Engineering Design || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
The anticipated starting base pay for this position is: $22.50 per hour
This position may also be eligible for the following benefits: Pension, 401(k) plan, Paid time off (PTO)
Requisition Number: 53088
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at email@example.com
About this Employer
As a leading electric and natural gas energy company, we offer a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity customers and 1.9 million natural gas customers across our eight states: Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas and Wisconsin.
Our workforce of more than 12,000 is rising to the challenge of a dynamic, constantly-changing utility industry. One that requires us to be even more customer focused, forward thinking and productive while remaining committed to meeting our customers’ fundamental need for safe, reliable, affordable energy.
With nearly 50% of our workforce eligible to retire in the next five years, there’s never been a better time to come on board. Do you have a passion for renewable energy, like wind or solar? Or care about giving back to the community? You’ll be in a position to directly impact our energy future.
At Xcel Energy, you’ll be challenged, respected and rewarded. You’ll find an ethical team committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship. A dynamic company where you’ll have meaningful work that makes a difference.