Engineering Intern Job
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills and talents to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A position at Xcel Energy could be just what you're looking for.
- Work with the Fleet Engineering - Controls staff to develop capital projects to replace network security hardware and software. Intern will shadow, and take direction from, senior Fleet Controls engineers to learn the OT network architectures and philosophies in place at Xcel Energy generation facilities. Those facilities include fossil power plants, combustion turbine plants, wind farms, and steam and chilled water plants. Additionally, work as an entry level engineering analyst doing tasks that support the tools, programs, and databases used to perform various operational tasks such as network administration, firewall rule development, and network architectures. There will also be opportunities to work along side the control system engineers who are the Subject Matter Experts for the plant control systems. Through practical technical experience and mentoring, a successful candidate will gain significant professional confidence and people skills.
- This will be a summer opportunity with the potential to extend into a school semester, or a year long opportunity beginning in January depending on availability of selected candidate. The candidate should be able to work full-time during the summer and 15-20 hrs./wk. during a school semester.
- Pursuing an Electrical, Mechanical or Computer engineering from an ABET accredited school. Other computer and networking degree plans may be acceptable.
- Must have a valid drivers license
- Must be Sophmore or higher
- Excel spreadsheets experience is a plus.
- Technical writing is a plus
- Some business concepts such as ROI is a plus
Xcel Energy is committed to the safety of its employees and customers, and promotes a Safety Always culture. Because of this, we strongly encourage all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19; however, vaccination is not mandatory. After being hired, you will asked to report your vaccination status and dates of vaccination. This information will be maintained confidentially and disclosed only on a need-to-know basis. If you are not fully vaccinated or choose not to disclose your vaccination status you will be required to follow any health-and-safety rules applicable to unvaccinated employees.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you're ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: TX - Amarillo || TX - Amarillo; CO - Denver; MN - Minneapolis || United States (US) || Operations and Generation || 60117:ES PO Fleet Eng Controls || Part-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
The anticipated starting base pay for this position is: $20.70 per hour
This position may also be eligible for the following benefits: Pension, 401(k) plan, Paid time off (PTO), Holidays, Personal holidays
Requisition Number: 48729
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
About this Employer
As a leading electric and natural gas energy company, we offer a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity customers and 1.9 million natural gas customers across our eight states: Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas and Wisconsin.
Our workforce of more than 12,000 is rising to the challenge of a dynamic, constantly-changing utility industry. One that requires us to be even more customer focused, forward thinking and productive while remaining committed to meeting our customers’ fundamental need for safe, reliable, affordable energy.
With nearly 50% of our workforce eligible to retire in the next five years, there’s never been a better time to come on board. Do you have a passion for renewable energy, like wind or solar? Or care about giving back to the community? You’ll be in a position to directly impact our energy future.
At Xcel Energy, you’ll be challenged, respected and rewarded. You’ll find an ethical team committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship. A dynamic company where you’ll have meaningful work that makes a difference.