Engineer - Substation Design (All Levels)
ITC Holdings Corp.
Supports business objectives through any of the following specialty areas: equipment/maintenance engineering, system protection, Control Room support, tower design, system planning, substation design and/or the implementation of capital projects. (Various Engineer levels available depending on level of experience)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides technical support to employees and contractors in the installation, maintenance and troubleshooting of system components.
- Prepares estimates, material requisitions, specifications and drawings for internally designed projects.
- Makes recommendations to troubleshoot technical problems on various electrical equipment and systems.
- Serves as lead engineer on design projects by checking designs submitted by contractors, issuing the project for construction when approved and participating in the creation of conceptual designs and layouts.
- Creates designs for substation installations, protective relaying systems, relay settings and SCADA systems, with review by Senior Engineers.
- Collaborates with other engineers and departments which may include consulting, managing projects, organizing resources or maintenance.
- Generates internal and external reports on various facets of transmission system.
- Attends meetings and training sessions to increase professional knowledge and skills.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering. Major in Electrical Engineering or relevant, equivalent experience and/or education.
- Minimum Experience:
- No work experience required for an Associate Engineer level.
- Minimum of two (2) years of work experience in related area for an Intermediate Engineer level.
- Minimum of five (5) years of work experience in related area for Senior Engineer level
- Power system coursework preferred for electrical engineering majors.
- Working knowledge of applicable codes and standards.
- Utility experience preferred.
- Possess sound analytical, problem-solving and documentation skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with superiors and individuals inside and outside the Company.
- Ability to multi-task and work under minimal supervision, in a team environment.
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Access).
- Ability to learn and utilize job specific software.
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States for any employer. ITC does not sponsor employment visas, such as H-1B or TN visas.
About this Employer
ITC, a Fortis company, is the energy industry’s leading electricity transmission company. We deliver bulk electrical energy from power generating plants along high-voltage lines to the local distribution system of utilities serving communities. We invest in power lines that will meet the needs of the 21st century.
As the only fully independent transmission company in the U.S., our business is not distracted by electricity generation or distribution. Transmission is our sole focus. As a result, we can concentrate fully on planning, building, operating and investing in high-value, highly-reliable electricity transmission to our customers and communities.
ITC owns and operates high-voltage transmission facilities in Michigan, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas and Oklahoma. ITC’s grid development focus includes growth through regulated infrastructure investment as well as domestic and international expansion through merchant and other commercial development opportunities.