Engineer - Operations Applications Engineering (All Levels)
ITC Holdings Corp.
Models and analyzes the grid in an Energy Management System (EMS) to support the operation, maintenance, and integration of new equipment, such as generation or high-voltage transmission lines. The EMS drives monitoring and analysis tools for real-time operations as well as forward-looking grid studies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintains and enhances the availability and accuracy of EMS applications (state estimator, power flow, contingency analysis, and/or operator training simulator (OTS))
- Maintains the Ambient Adjusted Ratings AAR related EMS applications, processes and supporting OpenAAR databases and data interfaces; supports the required AAR data exchanges with RTOs.
- Analyzes and resolves EMS application solution and modeling issues.
- Develops and maintains detailed power system models to reflect system upgrade projects, external models, and other changes required for real-time operations and forward-looking grid study tools.
- Supports the processes required to update, integrate, and maintain AAR data and SCADA measurements used by EMS operations tools for operational planning and real-time operations
- Develops and maintains supplementary data required for the OTS such as automatic generation control, relay protection schemes, and generator inertia constants.
- Assists in operator training activities for black start restoration drills and other exercises using the OTS.
- Formulates recommendations for EMS application software and process improvements.
- Supports North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) compliance activities
- Represents ITC on various industry groups, committees and working groups.
- Provides on-call technical support to the Operations Control Room on an as needed basis.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or relevant, equivalent experience and/or education.
- Minimum Work Experience Required:
- Associate Engineer: Entry level
- Intermediate Engineer: Two years of related experience
- Senior Engineer: Five years of related experience
- For Engineer and Senior Engineer two-to-five years of experience in any one, or combination of the following, is preferred: EMS, SCADA, or other power system analysis and monitoring applications. Long-term planning, design, or real-time operation of electric utility systems.
- Sound analytical, problem-solving and documentation skills
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communications skills
- Ability to work under minimal supervision, in a team environment
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States for any employer. ITC does not sponsor employment visas, such as H-1B or TN visas.
About this Employer
ITC, a Fortis company, is the energy industry’s leading electricity transmission company. We deliver bulk electrical energy from power generating plants along high-voltage lines to the local distribution system of utilities serving communities. We invest in power lines that will meet the needs of the 21st century.
As the only fully independent transmission company in the U.S., our business is not distracted by electricity generation or distribution. Transmission is our sole focus. As a result, we can concentrate fully on planning, building, operating and investing in high-value, highly-reliable electricity transmission to our customers and communities.
ITC owns and operates high-voltage transmission facilities in Michigan, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas and Oklahoma. ITC’s grid development focus includes growth through regulated infrastructure investment as well as domestic and international expansion through merchant and other commercial development opportunities.