Job Requisition Number
Power Supply & Market Ops
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university, plus five (5) years experience in a related field.
- Masters Degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to the job may substitute for experience up to one(1) yr.
- PhD. from an accredited college or university with major course work in a field related to the job may substitute for experience up to two (2) yrs.
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
Austin Energy is a customer-driven and community-focused organization whose mission is to safely deliver clean, affordable, reliable electricity and excellent customer service to its diverse customers.
Our utility is a recognized leader in renewable power and energy efficiency that is working toward providing 100% carbon-free generation by 2035. The successful Energy Marketer will directly contribute to our success by providing expertise in a variety of tasks related to the purchase, sale, and scheduling of electrical energy and capacity; the purchase and sale of generation fuels; and the origination of new carbon-free generation.
Our Energy Marketers support critical goals in minimizing and stabilizing power costs through financial risk management and ERCOT scheduling activities. Marketers analyze, design, and implement hedging strategies and manage portfolios of derivative instruments for the optimization of fuel, energy, and transmission costs. Energy Marketers also perform critical ERCOT scheduling functions, and monitor and mitigate transmission congestion on behalf of AE's customers.
Austin Energy's Energy Marketers are also responsible for origination for new contracted generation and other exciting new energy technologies, with duties including overall origination, analysis, RFP processes, selection processes, documentation, and ongoing monitoring of contract compliance.
Working with Austin Energy provides a number of health and welfare benefits such as low-cost medical, dental, vision, paid leave time, a highly competitive retirement plan, career development opportunities and more. Please click HERE for more information.
- The City of Austin employment application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Please be sure to detail on the application all current and previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- The Employment Record should be complete with job titles, employment dates, job duties, functions, and responsibilities for each position held. Starting salary will be based on overall relevant experience from your application.
- Résumés will not be accepted and statements such as "see résumé" will not be accepted. You may use "N/A" for fields that are not applicable.
- Please note that Austin Energy may close the job posting at any time after 7 days from the date of the initial advertisement. Once the job posting has closed, applications cannot be changed.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED , undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution. You must also provide proof of your professional licenses or certifications.
- If you are identified as a top candidate and are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
This position requires the use of an ERCOT Digital Certificate ( EDC ) and therefore will require a Security Review to determine if the candidate meets all the requirements for issuance of the EDC .
$47.51 - $61.76
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m - Monday through Friday
May occasionally work evenings, weekends or holiday. Hours may change based on business needs.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
4815 Mueller Blvd, Austin TX 78723
- Experience developing market strategies that optimize volumetrically varying assets in power portfolios.
- Experience with hedging philosophies that meet the needs of public power entities.
- Experience with providing deep and expert analysis for management.
- Experience with power origination and power trading.
- Experience with portfolio risk management.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
- May provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of City of Austin and Austin Energy contracts processes and procedures.
- Knowledge of wholesale fuel and electric markets and evolving industry and regulatory developments, both nationally and in Texas.
- Knowledge of Austin Energy's wholesale fuel and energy requirements.
- Knowledge of the impacts of recent deregulation trends in the fuel and energy markets.
- Knowledge of systems used to forecast, evaluate and transact business in the wholesale fuel and energy markets.
- Knowledge of applicable processes, techniques, and methods.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, Local laws, and ordinances governing fuel and energy markets.
- Knowledge of supervisory and managerial techniques and principles.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
- Skill in handling conflict resolution.
- Skill in using computers and related software applications.
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
- Ability to train others.
- Ability to quickly recognize and analyze irregular events.
- Ability to perform job functions and assignments as part of a project team.
Criminal Background Investigation
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual's AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
About this Employer
Austin Energy is one of the largest publicly owned electric utilities in the nation, providing low-cost reliable power to more than 500,000 customers and more than 1 million residents. Our mission is to deliver clean, affordable, reliable energy and excellent customer service.
We are industry leaders in conservation and renewable energy, developing some of the most comprehensive energy efficiency programs in the nation. We purchase renewable energy from wind, solar and biomass facilities to minimize our impact on the environment, and are recognized as a top-ranked Texas utility for green power sales.
As a publicly owned utility, we do more than provide power to our customers. We participate in dozens of community outreach events each year, contribute to Austin’s economic growth and continue to make strides in our commitment to environmental excellence.