Energy Market Design Analyst
ISO New England
Project assignments include leading multi-disciplinary teams on market design initiatives and as a team member contributing to larger projects. Diverse project assignments offer the Market Development Analyst many opportunities including:
- Working with industry subject matter experts, hone problem definitions and solution options
- Performing data analysis and simulations to validate problems and proposals
- Preparing detailed and summary reports; balancing competing issues and negotiating consensus among diverse stakeholder groups
- Developing and delivering presentations to internal and external stakeholders
- Supporting regulatory filings on market design initiatives
- Create new and modify existing market designs to evolve the wholesale electricity markets in New England and improve market and operational performance
- Build conceptual framework based on theory and/or industry best practices and develop market-based designs that address identified market or operational needs
- Develop mathematical and/or simulation models and prototypes and use production data to better define and understand problems and test proposed designs
- Assist business units and IT in their assessment of how to implement market designs and incorporate their input and constraints into the final market design
- Present design proposals, analysis and governing document changes to external stakeholders
- Prepare and defend written materials: white papers, position papers, memoranda
- Prepare presentation material to clearly present complex content
- Build support for market design initiatives through group discussions, coalition building and one-on-one negotiations
- Coordinate changes to the market design and governing document
- Support the drafting of governing document (e.g., market rules and manuals) changes and assist with the preparation of regulatory filings
- Support regulatory approval of market design and governing document changes including providing testimony in support of proposed changes
- Bachelor or graduate degree in Engineering, Economics, Business/Finance/Management Science or other technical discipline
- Experience in the electric power industry, the commodity trading and analysis industry, or related experience such as consulting
- Knowledge of power market design and operations and of the commercial and regulatory issues facing market participants in New England is desirable
- Understanding of the electricity markets and the role of the various market products in the wholesale marketplace
- Strong project management, facilitation and negotiation skills, including demonstrated ability to lead projects and to achieve results leveraging cross-functional, matrixed resources
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to develop relationships and build coalitions
- Demonstrated analytical capability with ability to perform data analysis and simulations using SAS or PL/SQL Developer
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills and ability to present material to a diverse audience
- Experience using statistical, simulation models, and/or database software tools to extract, assemble, and interpret quantitative information, including PI System, Python, GAMS, MATLAB, R, R Studio and MATLAB; and file management tools including WinSCP, PuTTY, WinMerge, and UltraEdit
- Familiarity with the software systems and tools that ISOs/RTOs use to operate the power system and administer the markets
Vision: To harness the power of competition and advanced technologies to reliably plan and operate the grid as the region transitions to clean energy.
Values: Expertise, Respect, Innovation, Dependability and Collaboration
What We Offer: Located in Holyoke, MA amid the picturesque Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, our employees get the best of both rural and urban living, enjoying day-to-day local community culture and conveniences with drivable access to big city amenities. Our competitive base salaries, performance-driven bonus incentive offering, as well as a variety of health, wellness, and professional development benefits underscore the value we place in our employees. Beyond our comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans, we encourage continuous learning through our training and tuition reimbursement programs and support work-life balance with flex hours, hybrid work models for most roles, and paid vacation and holidays. Our benefits strive to fulfill the needs of our employees across life's stages, with paid parental time off, health and wellness programs, 401k with company match, and a retirement plan. For the convenience of our employees, we offer complimentary access to our onsite fitness center and a cafeteria with free coffee.
COVID-19 Policy: Employee safety and well-being is a priority at ISO New England. To safeguard our teams and the important work they do, ISO New England has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy.
Equal Opportunity : We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer. Applicants for employment are considered without regard to race, creed, color, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, age, disability, status as a veteran, Vietnam Era Veteran, or being a member of the Reserves or National Guard.
Drug Free Environment: We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
Social Networking Notice : ISO New England reserves the right to review the candidate's postings on any social networking site accessible in the public domain as part of the candidate assessment process.
- Pay Type Salary
About this Employer
Keeping the lights on in New England
We are the independent, not-for-profit corporation responsible for keeping electricity flowing across the six New England states and ensuring that the region has reliable, competitively priced wholesale electricity today and into the future.