EMS Application Developer I/II/III/Sr/Lead
Electric Reliability Council of Texas
AT ERCOT, our diverse and dynamic work environment provides a platform on which employees can work together to build the future of the Texas power grid and wholesale market utilizing the latest technologies and resources. We encourage you to join our talented, dedicated workforce to develop world-class solutions for today and tomorrow's energy challenges while learning new skills and growing your career.
ERCOT is committed to fostering diversity and inclusion at all levels of our company. It is the cornerstone of our corporate values of accountability, leadership, innovation, trust, and expertise. We accept and celebrate those that join us and recognize that individuals with a wide variety of talents, ideas, and experiences propel the innovation that drives our success. A diverse and inclusive workforce strengthens us and allows for a collaborative environment to solve the challenges that face our industry today and in the future.
ERCOT offers the flexibility to work both in and out of the office within the state of Texas, providing our employees with an enhanced work life balance.
EMS Application Developer develops design and performs software development for suite of Electric Power Grid Applications. The suite includes Energy Management System (EMS) applications such as Topology Processor, Power Flows, State Estimator, Contingency Analysis, Load Frequency Control, Dispatcher Training Simulator (DTS), ICCP, SCADA, CIM Importer, Interfaces and Dynamic Stability Analysis, Load & IRR Forecasting, PMU, Network Model Management system (NMMS) applications. Adhere to software development life cycle (SDLC) processes that includes performing testing and validation of Grid Applications and User Interface changes to deliver quality software to customers. This position will report to the Supervisor/Manager of Grid & Market Solutions (GMS) Technology Development - Grid team.
- Broadly applies principles, theories and concepts related to the profession. A seasoned, experienced professional with an in-depth/full understanding of area of specialization.
- May provide recommendations regarding issues outside the bounds of defined procedures and practices. Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Wide latitude for decisions within assignments, programs, and projects; impact is generally limited to the project or department.
- Acts as a resource to advise and may at times a lead the work of lower level professional and/or support employees. Generally, represents the department on projects and may perform in a project leadership role.
- Works under the direction of a senior developers or supervisor/manager to complete departmental goals and assignments.
- Performs all work according to applicable rules and regulations including regulatory requirements and organization policies and procedures.
- Good Knowledge on core electric power systems operations and control functions like power flow studies, state estimation, contingency analysis, economic dispatch, Unit Commitment, and electric power market operations.
- Works with internal stake holders closely, review and understand grid applications functional and non-functional requirements.
- Develops design, performs software development (using Fortran, C/C++, Java, Perl, Python etc. programming languages) and testing for suite of grid applications and its interfaces in windows and Linux environments.
- Designs, develops, and tests grid applications backend oracle database changes using Oracle PL/SQL programming language.
- Performs grid applications user interfaces display development using GE EMS FGbuilder and Siemens WebSDK platform.
- Performs GE EMS applications software code migration to port all ERCOT customs from current EMS system to upgrade EMS system as part EMS Upgrade project.
- Participates in requirements and design review discussions with grid systems vendors (GE, Powertech, Siemens, EPG, Itron).
- Develops and manages source code using Atlassian Bitbucket source code control tool.
- Adheres to software development life cycle (SDLC) standards for all the software changes within portfolio.
- Understands and follows grid applications software release process and best practices to deliver software changes to customers seamlessly. Adheres to change management processes during software release delivery.
- Participates in interdepartmental meetings and present software design and implementation details.
- Good Knowledge on Linear and Non-Linear Optimization techniques and understand grid applications (SCOPF, SCUC etc.) optimization objective functions formulation.
- Analyzes electric power grid operations and congestion management related requirements and designs, develops software solutions in core EMS applications like Power Flows, State Estimator, Contingency Analysis, Load Frequency Control, Load Forecast, Dispatcher Training Simulator (DTS) and in ERCOT developed custom EMS applications to meet the requirements.
- Works closely with Network Modeling team on CIM Model data modeling, designs CIM Importer Schema and performs EMS CIM Importer software development.
- Analyzes, troubleshoots, identifies root cause of Voltage and Transient Stability Analysis (VSAT/TSAT) applications issues, and works with Powertech to develop and deliver software solutions to resolve the issues.
- Designs and implements IRR (Wind/Solar) forecast requirements in Siemens WebSDK based forecast presentation platform.
- Works closely with grid systems vendors, drives requirements and design discussions and ensures that quality software is delivered by vendors.
- Deploys, configures, integrates, and tests software releases from grid systems vendors in development environments and delivers quality software releases to customers. Vendor software includes GE EMS, Siemens Network Model Management System (NMMS), Powertech DSA/VSAT/TSAT, EPG PMU/RTDMS, iTron MetrixIDR.
- Provide timely software solutions to address grid applications critical production issues on 24x7 basis as level 2 support team.
- Works closely with GMS production support teams, Grid Operations & Training teams, Network Modeling team and provides technical support on EMS, DTS and NMMS applications.
- Automates software development processes using Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) tools such as Bitbucket, Apache Maven/Jenkins etc.
- Creates and gives presentations for training on GMS grid applications enhancements.
- Represents GMS Technology Development department at interdepartmental meetings.
- Assists in developing tools, processes and procedures that improves grid applications software development and departmental/organizational efficiencies.
- Designs and develops integration and data flows between EMS applications and downstream systems such as VSAT/TSAT, Market Management System (MMS), market reports, settlements, Itron Load Forecasting, IRR forecast interfaces and control room situational awareness applications.
- Analyze, troubleshoot, identify root cause of all grid applications, database, and system issues, and develop software solutions.
- Maintains and supports grid systems in development environments.
- Designs and develops grid applications optimization solvers CPLEX/AMPL models to incorporate various constraints in optimization problem.
- Works with vendors on grid applications and its interfaces improvements and proposes design changes.
- Performs code reviews and approve code changes developed by other developers.
- Automates grid applications and user interfaces unit and regression testing as much as possible by developing scripts and using third party automation tools such as Selenium.
- Provides advice and guidance to ERCOT Grid and market Operations regarding GMS grid applications, processes, and tools.
- Work closely with project management team and ensures successful delivery of gird applications enhancements and technology upgrade related projects.
- Ensures that GMS grid products and solutions comply with the organization's architectural standards. Employs in the full systems development life cycle in projects and work processes.
- May provide on-the-job training or oversee the work of other developers.
- Works with Market Participants, ERCOT representatives, and vendors to drive and deliver solutions to meet the ERCOT Electricity Market needs.
- Represents ERCOT at market participant meetings.
- Organizes and coordinates the planning, design and architecture phases of GMS grid applications software development and the integration of applications across the business.
- Develops enterprise level application and custom integration solutions.
- Guides and advocates business and customer requirements for GMS grid applications and user interfaces.
- Conducts all phases of product software development lifecycle, including the analysis, design, test, and integration of products.
- Creates and gives presentations for product solutions and training on GMS grid applications.
- Gives advice and recommendations to management for the overall technical development goals of the GMS Technology Development team.
- Works closely with project management team, assists in developing project delivery plan for various phases of the grid applications related projects and ensures successful delivery of the projects.
- Advises and guides several key groups in the company to ensure quality product delivery.
- Serves as a Subject Matter Expert providing guidance to lower-level workers. May schedule work, train, mentor, and/or coach other employees.
- Conveys team goals effectively through strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Works on moderately complex issues where analysis of situations requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors. Has the ability to resolve issues in creative and effective ways.
- Assists in the most difficult technical support problems of grid applications.
- Develops and executes enterprise architecture strategy that GMS Technology development team initiatives.
- Develops programming and development standards and procedures as well as programming architectures for code reuse.
- Provides expert level advice and guidance to grid operations and support teams regarding grid applications, processes, and tools.
- Works with Market Participants, ERCOT representatives, and vendors to drive and deliver solutions.
- Recommends new technology directions or options to grid applications software vendors. Communicates technology design and any related issues to technical and non-technical audiences including customers and technical partners.
- Responsible for mentoring senior developers on best practices in software development, object-oriented design, design patterns and application frameworks.
- Applies creativity, in-depth technical and theoretical knowledge, and experience in solving highly complex grid systems and interfaces architectural design problems.
- Understands and maintains knowledge of ERCOT Nodal Protocols, PUCT rulings, NERC Reliability Standards, CIP protocols and help the staff understand standards and protocols.
- Researches and maintains knowledge of new emerging technologies, best practices in electric utility industry as well as new technology in IT industry and provide the direction to team to adopt new technologies as required.
- Experience with one of the vendors (Hitachi Energy/ABB, GE, Siemens, Resource Innovations/Nexant, OSI Inc) Energy or Market Management Systems and applications preferred.
- Power industry experience in grid and market arena preferably with software vendors or ISO/utilities.
- Experience with programming languages such as FORTRAN, C, C++, Java, Perl and Python.
- Experience with Oracle PL/SQL
- Experience with Commercial Optimization Solvers: CPLEX/AMPL, Gurobi
- Experience with CIM/XML model-based tools.
- Experience with developing integration layers using Messaging Services: Tibco JMS, AMQ
- Programming Languages/Packages/Scripting: C, C++, VisualC++, FORTRAN, Java, Perl, Python, PL/SQL, Shell Scripting
- Web Application Servers: JBOSS, Tomcat
- Message Queues: Tibco JMS, AMQ
- Web Based Development - J2EE, Servlets, SOAP, Java Script, HTML/CSS, XML
- Database: Oracle, SQLSERVER
- Source Code Control Tools: Git, GitHub
- Optimization Solvers: CPLEX/AMPL, Gurobi
- Operating System: Windows, Linux, AIX
- Level 1 Engineer - Less than 1 year related work experience in excess of degree requirements.
- Level 2 Engineer - Requires minimum 2 years related work experience in excess of degree requirements
- Level 3 Engineer - Requires minimum 3 years related work experience in excess of degree requirements
- Senior Level Engineer - Requires minimum 5 years related work experience in excess of degree requirements
- Lead Level Engineer - Requires minimum 8 years related work experience in excess of degree requirements
- Bachelor's Degree : Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related field (Required)
- Master's Degree : Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related field (Preferred)
- or a combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge to a major in such fields is required
- The majority of job duties can be performed remotely from your Texas residence.
- May be required to be on-site at the Taylor facilities at least once a month, or more based on the business needs and as determined by the Manager
- May select a hybrid work schedule of set days to work remote and on-site or choose to work on-site 100% of the time
The foregoing description reflects the minimum qualifications and the essential functions of the position that must be performed proficiently with or without reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities. It is not an exhaustive list of the duties expected to be performed, and management may, at its discretion, revise or require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned. This job description is not intended to create a contract of employment with ERCOT. Both ERCOT and the employee may exercise their employment-at-will rights at any time.
About this Employer
The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) manages the flow of electric power to more than 26 million Texas customers -- representing about 90 percent of the state’s electric load. As the independent system operator for the region, ERCOT schedules power on an electric grid that connects more than 52,700+ miles of transmission lines and 1,030+ generation units, including PUNs. It also performs financial settlement for the competitive wholesale bulk-power market and administers retail switching for 8 million premises in competitive choice areas. ERCOT is a membership-based 501(c)(4) nonprofit corporation, governed by a board of directors and subject to oversight by the Public Utility Commission of Texas and the Texas Legislature. Its members include consumers, cooperatives, generators, power marketers, retail electric providers, investor-owned electric utilities, transmission and distribution providers and municipally owned electric utilities.