Electrical Startup & Commissioning Technician
PIC Group, Inc.
Title: Electrical Startup & Commissioning Technician
Position Type: Contract
Location: Centerville, LA
Reports to: Commissioning Manager
PIC Group is seeking an experienced Electrical Startup & Commissioning Technician to support environmental retrofit project for a carbon black manufacturing plant located in Centerville, LA. The Electrical Startup & Commissioning Technician will report to the Commission Manager and be responsible for support of critical tie-ins between the new SCR and scrubber and existing plant reactors. The Electrical Startup & Commissioning Technician will play a vital role in the project and be responsible for the electrical commissioning, testing, startup, and initial operation of systems, sub-systems, and equipment. In addition, the Electrical Startup & Commissioning Technician is also responsible for assuring compliance with all lockout/tagout and other safety procedures from construction release and turnover through completion of the commissioning phase.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for direct interface with construction personnel coordinating construction completion in areas and systems under assignment.
- Generates and maintains records of tests and other startup related activities
- Assist construction team in execution of required pre-commissioning activities.
- Maintains communications to ensure accurate and timely flow of information.
- Reviews system turnover packages.
- Track and report on all issues affecting Electrical Startup and Commissioning and promptly advising Commissioning Manager of issues that may impact achievement of project goals and objectives
- Maintain a daily diary to permanently record all significant project facts, events, conditions, visitors, owner representative contacts, commitments, agreements, and approvals.
- Request operator, construction craft or vendor assistance as necessary.
- Provide direction, in conjunction with Startup Construction Superintendent, to craft to support Startup Commissioning activities
- Generates and maintains records of tests and other commissioning related activities
- Provide direction and training to Operations staff during initial startup of plant systems and equipment prior to turnover.
- Assist construction team in execution of required pre-commissioning activities
- Maintains communications to ensure accurate and timely flow of information
- Review system turnover packages for completeness
- Track and report on all issues affecting Electrical Startup and Commissioning and promptly advising Site Lead Electrical Commissioning Engineer of issues that may impact achievement of project goals and objectives
- Ensure that spare parts and consumables necessary for operation of the assigned system are available
- Request operator, construction craft or vendor assistance as necessary
- Working knowledge of electrical systems operating and maintenance principles
- Working knowledge in commissioning and startup of industrial electrical systems such as, transformers, Switchgear/Motor Control Centers, DC Power Systems, Uninterruptible Power Supplies, Motors, Generators, Substations/Switchyards
- Knowledge in High Voltage Testing Requirements, electrical checkout and testing procedures, and application during commission and checkout of equipment.
- Knowledge in OSHA Site Requirements and Lockout / Tagout
- Positive self-starter with ability to work well under pressure with limited supervision
- Proficient with use of Microsoft Office Products (Access, Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook)
- Proficient at the use of testing equipment: analyzers and test gauges
- Ability to read and understand technical drawings and documents.
- Proficient in the use of hand and power-driven tools.
- The frequent use of protective equipment (i.e. hard hats, safety glasses, air masks, ear protection, chemical suits, hot gloves and high voltage protective equipment, etc.) may be required. Work with hazardous materials may also be required
- Working in proximity to high voltages and current with proper training and equipment, operating heavy equipment and rolling stock and entering confined spaces or hazardous environments may be required while often being exposed to equipment and machinery noises
· Valid driver's license
- Duties require walking, standing for extended periods of time, crawling, stooping, sitting, climbing vertical and inclined ladders and stairs, operation of large valves and other tasks requiring up to 100 lbs. of pulling or turning force, and lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs. Exposure to extreme heat and cold
- Eye and hand coordination are required to operate switches, pushbuttons, and other controls.
- Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust and focus
Education / Experience:
· High School Diploma or GED required
· 5+ years of electrical commissioning experience in an industrial setting
PIC Group, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer competitive wages and benefits. We seek out and employ talented individuals who meet the qualifications for each position. Due to the large number of responses we receive to our postings, only those applicants with the required experience and qualifications will be contacted.
About this Employer
PIC Group, Inc., established in 1988 and headquartered in Atlanta, GA, is a global provider of service solutions to the power generation industry. PIC Group’s comprehensive portfolio of services supports all aspects of power project development including installation, outage, commissioning and start-up, operations and maintenance, documentation and training, and project support. As of March 2008, PIC Group, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marubeni Corporation, a publicly listed company headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.