E&I Commissioning Technician
PIC Group, Inc.
Title: Electrical & Instrumentation Startup & Commissioning Technician
Position Type: Contract
Location: Lake Charles, LA
Reports to: Commissioning Manager
PIC Group has an excellent opportunity for an Electrical & Instrumentation (E&I) Startup and Commissioning Technician to support commissioning of a new chlorine chemical production facility located in Lake Charles, LA. The Electrical & Instrumentation (E&I) Startup and Commissioning Technician will report to the Commissioning Manager and be responsible for electrical and instrumentation inspections and pre-commissioning checklists participating in Pre-Startup Safety Reviews (PSSRs) working with plant operators and shift supervisors for a successful plant startup and operation currently scheduled for November of 2022. The Electrical & Instrumentation (E&I) Startup and Commissioning Technician will be located at the project throughout the construction and commissioning phase.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform standard pre-commissioning activities during final phases of construction involving such work as installing, inspecting, testing, and diagnosing the operating conditions of all types of motors, generators, transformers, switches, control equipment, wiring, electrical signal and communication systems, and storage batteries, and work with electrical systems up to and including 4,160 volts to assure equipment and systems are checked off and ready to be energized for startup.
- Calibrating, testing, troubleshooting, re-working, modifying, and inspecting plant instrumentation and control components and systems.
- Perform punch list activities as directed by Commissioning Manager
- Work with plant documents, P&ID's, wiring diagrams, etc. for inspection and testing of plant equipment and systems.
- Trouble shooting PLC's and relays is required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to address challenges while working in a construction and operating plant work environment.
- Effective communication skills both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside the company.
- Effective computer skills; Microsoft Office software and other discipline-specific software applications.
- Effective analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong mechanical, electrical, process, and controls experience.
- The ability to multi-task.
- Commercial awareness, good command of English, and good presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, a proactive team player combined with a solid self-supporting/independent character.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- In-depth knowledge of electrical testing and procedures for primary and secondary equipment such as protection relays, circuit breakers, disconnectors, current and voltage transformers.
- Strong working knowledge in loop checking, cable pulling, glanding and termination.
- Strong Knowledge of process technology and the technical principles related to chemical, oil & gas, pulp & paper, and the like plants.
- Capable to read, interpret & prepare applicable technical information, including drawings, schematics, P&IDs, procedures, manuals, codes, and specifications.
- Experience with flow metering, instrumentation, valves, pumps, sampling systems, analyzers, flow computers, E&I wiring, and control panels.
- Solid experience commissioning High Voltage / Low Voltage (HV/LV) switchgear, transformers, Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) systems, large variable speed drives, electric motors, standby diesel generators, electric heat tracing, metering systems, safeguarding systems, DCS/PLC controls.
- Physical demands-the physical demands of the job, including bending, climbing, sitting, lifting, and driving.
- Work environment: chemical construction site in Louisiana with varied temperature, high noise level, inside and outside, with caustic chemicals.
Education / Experience:
- Associates degree in electrical or equivalent experience
- 5 or more years of startup and commissioning work experience.
PIC Group, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer competitive wages and benefits. We seek out and employ talented individuals who meet the qualifications for each position. Due to the large number of responses we receive to our postings, only those applicants with the required experience and qualifications will be contacted.
About this Employer
PIC Group, Inc., established in 1988 and headquartered in Atlanta, GA, is a global provider of service solutions to the power generation industry. PIC Group’s comprehensive portfolio of services supports all aspects of power project development including installation, outage, commissioning and start-up, operations and maintenance, documentation and training, and project support. As of March 2008, PIC Group, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marubeni Corporation, a publicly listed company headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.