Division Director, Applied Engineering Division
Idaho National Laboratory
Idaho National Laboratory's (INL) is seeking a Division Director, Applied Engineering Division.
Our team works an on-site 9x80/4x10 schedule located at our WCB - REC facility with every other Friday off!
- The Division Director for Applied Engineering provides leadership, management and direction to the design engineers, analysts, designers, drafters, project engineers and support/administrative personnel in the F&SS Applied Engineering organization.
- The division director provides leadership for ensuring effective integration and coordination of engineering operations between Facility Complex Management Departments, Applied Engineering, and the Project and Construction Departments, while ensuring effective teamwork between all organizations.
- Has overall responsibility for development of engineering organization budgets, schedules and the overall scope of work. Responsible for staff development, mentoring and coaching, and for establishing individual performance goals that align with the strategic objectives of F&SS and the Laboratory.
- Has the responsibility of evaluating and directing actions associated with employee hiring, terminations, transfers, employee disciplinary actions, and salary actions.
- Advises senior management on all significant engineering issues, which could impact F&SS goals, laboratory fee, performance, or contract renewal.
- The F&SS Applied Engineering Division Director maintains strategic interfaces with the science and technology directorates, COOs, INL mission organizations, DOE-ID, and other national laboratory representatives; interfacing regularly with internal and external business entities, customers and decision makers.
- Actions and interfaces may have impact on organization mission.
- Develops policies and translates division strategy into action for implementation.
- Manages a diverse/dispersed staff many of whom are currently working in a hybrid work status.
- Oversees major organizational components of Applied Engineering where products with significant impact on the Lab's accomplishment of award fee objectives are delivered.
- Responsible to end customers for providing quality products and services, meeting cost commitments, and for the timely delivery of completed tasks.
- Attracts and hires senior level staff and develops future leaders. Actions have high customer scrutiny and require frequent involvement with senior leaders across the Laboratory.
- Responsible for setting metrics to collect performance data and for correction of identified concerns.
- Actions include engineering approvals and authorizations for all design.
- The F&SS Applied Engineering Division Director is the appointed INL Building Official, responsible for all delegated Building Code Official duties as outlined in the International Building Code (IBC). The INL Building Official appointment is an AHJ position approved by DOE.
- The Engineering Division Director will maintain involvement with university partners and participate in their Engineering Advisory Board activities. This action will assist in the development of a viable pool of future design engineering candidates.
- The F&SS Applied Engineering Division Director is a member of the INL Electrical Safety Committee and serves as the management champion for the committee.
- Provide direction and guidance to all the Applied Engineering departments to ensure assignment and completion of engineering design, analysis, and drafting to support the Laboratory mission.
- Establish and maintain effective internal and external contacts through frequent communications related to engineering issues and accomplishments to gauge the level of success in meeting customer commitments and expectations.
- Manage organizational performance to ensure attainment of assigned PEMP measures.
- Interact with engineering personnel to gauge performance and assist staff with work performance issues.
- Monitor engineering metrics to ensure engineering performance is at a level that will enhance the engineering reputation of INL.
- Report on performance in the F&SS MRM.
- Maintain overall oversight of the INL Blanket Master Contracts and Staff Augmentation Contracts. These contracts are critical to the success of the F&SS Applied Engineering organization.
- Manage the F&SS Applied Engineering Budget to meet the expectations of the F&SS Director.
- Responsible for maintaining or establishing, if necessary, the non-nuclear engineering standards that govern engineering activities at INL. These standards shall be appropriate for the asset (commercial, DOE or laboratory) and shall include design standards and all appropriate interfaces between engineering, operations, mission organization, procurement and Quality.
- Standards customized to specific and unique jobs will be developed as necessary.
- Responsible for assuring that the engineering standards form the basis for all technical activities supported by the engineering teams.
- Responsible for maintaining the Engineering Management System.
- Chairs the Engineering Promotion Committee and the INL Engineering Board.
- Participate on the Battelle-Lab F&O Chief Engineer Meeting.
- Ensure effective integration of ESH&Q, business management, and compliance policies into all work activities.
- Emphasize the importance of safety and having a safety culture within the organization.
- Serves as the INL Building Official and the management champion for the INL Electrical Safety Committee.
- Maintains involvement with university partners and participates in their Engineering Advisory Board activities.
- Baccalaureate Degree with 13 years of experience, OR Master's degree and 11 years experience.
- Must have ten years minimum demonstrated experience managing a multi-discipline engineering and analysis organization.
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy "L" / "Q" clearance, which requires US Citizenship.
- Salary Grade: 240
- Chosen applicants are required to show a demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working environment.
- TDP: This is a testing designated position; you will be required to submit to a pre-employment drug screen and periodic drug testing throughout the term of your employment.
Growing INL: An Overview of New Facilities and Capabilities
Our mission is to discover, demonstrate and secure innovative nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical infrastructure.
Our vision is to change the world's energy future and secure our nation's critical infrastructure.
Selective Service Requirements
To be eligible for employment at INL males born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS). For more information see www.sss.gov.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
COVID Safety Protocols
As a condition of employment, Idaho National Laboratory will inquire about COVID vaccination status and expects candidates to comply with all required COVID safety protocols, including mask-wearing as applicable.
Idaho National Laboratory has implemented a required vaccination policy effective immediately requiring that all new hires must be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, unless exempt under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, or other applicable state or federal law. In accordance with Idaho National Laboratory's duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, we are adopting this policy to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors, and the community at large from infectious diseases that may be reduced by vaccinations.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
When applying to positions please provide a resume and answer all questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for consideration.
INL does not accept resumes from third party vendors unsolicited.
Benefits, Salary, and Relocation
We have an extremely competitive salary structure and phenomenal benefits. For more information, please visit: https://www.inl.gov/careers/benefits-overview/
About this Employer
Part of the U.S. Dept. of Energy’s complex of national laboratories, INL performs work in each of the strategic goal areas: energy, national security, science & environment. INL is the nation’s leading center for nuclear energy research & development.