Distribution Planning Engineer
JOB TITLE: Distribution Planning Engineer
DEPARTMENT: Distribution Planning - F&M - Manchester Service Center
LOCATION: Kansas City, MO
Engineer I: $61,900 - $77,400
Engineer II: $75,600 - $94,500
Staff Engineer: $84,500 - $105,600
Sr. Engineer: $85,500 - $114,000
Lead Engineer: $89,900 - $119,900
Principal Engineer: $100,700 – $134,200
Scheduled Work Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (Other hours as required)
Summary of Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Develops studies, plans, criteria, specifications, calculations, evaluations, design documents, performance assessments, integrated systems analysis, cost estimates, and budgets. Provides consultation and recommendations to various Company business units and/or customers based on studying company or customer-owned systems, processes, equipment, vehicles, or facilities. Collects and compiles financial data for budgeting and actual costs of projects. Ability to operate independently but seeks guidance when appropriate.
- Performs well-defined engineering assignments exercising independent discretion. (e.g., collect data, perform complex analysis, interpret results, draw conclusions, and clearly present a recommendation to management).
- Performs complex engineering assignments. (e.g., analyze and interpret the results of complex power flows and perform complex electrical tests, and analyze non-specific and ambiguous results).
- Provides technical consultation, plan developments and recommendations for customer and company systems and processes. (e.g., verify and validate studies, blueprints, or designs against accepted engineering principles and practices).
- Assists in the effectiveness of current technical systems and processes. Participates on teams (e.g., Design distribution circuits, meeting all engineering standards and criteria).
- Evaluates, develops, and implements projects that have moderate financial and operational impact.
Education and Experience Requirements:
Requires a bachelor’s degree in Engineering from an ABET accredited program; Electrical Engineering preferred. Fundamentals of Engineering (Engineer in Training) with advanced technical degree or MBA from an accredited university preferred. Programming and coding skills preferred. Ability to exercise considerable, independent, engineering judgment in electrical engineering work. Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously. Typically possesses two or more years of engineering experience or equivalent combination of education and experience or clearly demonstrated team leadership abilities on critical projects.
Engineer I - Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering from an accredited university.
Engineer II - 2 or more years of engineering experience.
Staff Engineer - 4 or more years of engineering experience.
Sr. Engineer - Typically possesses 8 or more years of engineering experience and an active member of a recognized industry committee or published in recognized technical journals or at minimum has two related career experiences or clearly demonstrated team leadership abilities on critical projects. Engineering in Training (EIT) certification required.
Lead Engineer - Typically possesses 12 or more years of engineering experience. Advanced technical degree preferred. Professional Engineering license preferred. Proven expertise in key functional areas, demonstrated leadership abilities and wide breadth of business understanding.
Principal Engineer - Typically possesses 15 or more years of engineering experience. Advanced technical degree preferred. Professional Engineering license required. Proven ability to mentor and the knowledge and ability to handle significant or complex problems.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities Required:
- Provide technical assistance in support of others
- Apply technical knowledge to help promote a safe work environment and to enhance customer satisfaction
- Ability to apply engineering principles to find solutions to problems
- Demonstrate performance to think creatively and resourcefully in devising practical solutions to problems encountered
- Ability to analyze and interpret complex engineering systems
- Knowledge of electric power systems including distribution and/or substation facilities, technical reading, NESC and company standards preferred.
Licenses, Certificates, Bonding and/or Testing:
Must have a valid driver’s license. Professional Engineering License preferred, but not required.
Normal working office environment with field visits to support coordination activities. Must be able to work additional hours on short notice. Minimal travel may be required. Must have satisfactory work record including good attendance.
Evergy has a clear mission – To empower a better future. Evergy chooses to live this mission by valuing People First. We know to accomplish becoming the most innovative and reliable energy company, we need a team with a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. So, our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative of the communities we serve. We are committed to celebrating diversity and building a team where everyone – regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status – has a voice and can bring their best every day. We know that the more diverse and inclusive we are, the better we will be. Evergy is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer.