Distribution Electrician III
Distribution Electrician III
Job Requisition Number
Electric System - Field Ops
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent, plus four (4) years of experience in the electric utility field as a Distribution, Network, or Transmission lineworker.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- Valid Texas Class A Commercial Driver License or ability to acquire license and/or endorsements within ninety (90) days of employment.
- Ability to produce and maintain an acceptable driving record.
Notes to Applicants
The Distribution Electrician III is responsible for the construction, maintenance, and removal of overhead and underground electrical equipment associated with Austin Energy's distribution system.
Working with Austin Energy provides a number of health and welfare benefits such as low-cost medical, dental, vision, paid leave time, a highly competitive retirement plan, career development opportunities and more. Please click HERE for more information.
- The City of Austin employment application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Please be sure to detail on the application all current and previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
- The Employment Record should be complete with job titles, employment dates, job duties, functions, and responsibilities for each position held. Salary is established as an entry rate of pay for this position and is nonnegotiable.
- Résumés will not be accepted and statements such as "see résumé" will not be accepted. You may use "N/A" for fields that are not applicable.
- Please note that Austin Energy may close the job posting at any time after 7 days from the date of the initial advertisement. Once the job posting has closed, applications cannot be changed.
Your skill level in some of the competency areas for this job may be assessed through skills testing.
If you are selected as a top candidate:
- Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED , undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) will be required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization/institution.
- If you are identified as a top candidate and are in the military or a veteran, you will need to provide a copy of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
- This position requires a criminal background investigation.
This position requires a valid Texas Class A Commercial Driver License or the ability to acquire one and/or endorsements within 90 days of employment. External New Hires must meet the City of Austin's Driver Record Evaluation ( DRE ) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months.
- This position is categorized as Essential Personnel with the City of Austin. Essential staff are required to work during emergencies or bad weather if they are scheduled to work and, in some cases, when they are not scheduled. Essential employees ensure the continuance of key operations for the City of Austin.
- Work hours may include after hours, holidays, and weekends.
- Shifts may change according to departmental needs.
- Employee may be required to work additional hours outside of regular work schedule.
FAIR LABOR STANDARDS ACT :
This position is classified as NON - EXEMPT .
$34.86 - $44.45
Monday through Friday; 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
This position is considered an Essential position. Please see Notes to Applicants below for more information on Essential Personnel requirements.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
May provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training, and guidance to others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of AE, COA , and/or State of Texas requirements for vehicle inspections.
- Knowledge of the electrical theory and principles related to electricity, magnetism, circuits, and electrical equipment.
- Knowledge of the hazards involved in working on and around high-voltage energized lines and equipment.
- Knowledge of various transformer connections and the procedures for proper transformer phasing.
- Knowledge of installation, operation, and maintenance of electrical equipment, apparatus, and instruments.
- Skill in planning and organizing personnel and work assignments.
- Skill in handling conflict and uncertain situations.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
- Skill in operating computers and related software applications.
- Skill in setting up and operating electric utility aerial equipment.
- Skill in applying knowledge of AE safety rules, regulations, work practices, standards, and procedures associated with each craft when working on energized electrical systems.
- Skill in using the necessary air monitoring equipment prior to entering enclosed or confined spaces.
- Skill in properly using, inspecting, maintaining, and safely storing Personal Protective Equipment ( PPE ) and Personal Protective Devices ( PPD ).
- Skill in performing installation, construction, maintenance, and repair of electrical systems and electrical/electronic instruments.
- Skill in troubleshooting electrical systems using electronic test equipment (i.e. Multi-Range Voltage Detector [ MRVD ], phasing sticks, rotation meters, Digital Multi-Meters [ DMM ], and clamp-on amp meters).
- Skill in working on and around high-voltage energized lines and equipment.
- Skill in reading, preparing, interpreting, and modifying blueprints, diagrams, sketches, and drawings.
- Skill in performing all phases of installing, framing, constructing, and maintaining AE's electric system.
- Ability to understand oral and written instructions.
- Ability to climb poles and structures to various heights (Distribution and Network - up to 80 ft, Transmission - up to 250 ft), following AE guidelines for personal fall arrest systems.
- Ability to climb ladders, work in enclosed spaces, and work as an enclosed space attendant (confined spaces for the Network craft).
- Ability to apply knowledge and skills obtained from training in the classroom and on the job.
- Ability to read and understand written instructions, technical manuals, blueprints, diagrams, sketches, and drawings.
- Ability to meet and maintain driver eligibility standards in the COA Driver Safety Program.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective communication and professional working relationships with City employees, customers, and the public.
- Ability to organize, inspect, and safely use various hand and powered tools, equipment, materials, cables, and conductors.
- Ability to properly interpret and follow manufacturers load charts when operating cranes, boom trucks, digger derricks, and bucket trucks.
- Ability to lead and mentor less tenured DE's.
- Ability to perform strenuous work in all types of weather conditions.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions, changes in priorities, and rotating shifts as assigned.
- Ability to properly lift and carry equipment and supplies weighing up to 50 pounds.
Criminal Background Investigation
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual's AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
About this Employer
Austin Energy is one of the largest publicly owned electric utilities in the nation, providing low-cost reliable power to more than 500,000 customers and more than 1 million residents. Our mission is to deliver clean, affordable, reliable energy and excellent customer service.
We are industry leaders in conservation and renewable energy, developing some of the most comprehensive energy efficiency programs in the nation. We purchase renewable energy from wind, solar and biomass facilities to minimize our impact on the environment, and are recognized as a top-ranked Texas utility for green power sales.
As a publicly owned utility, we do more than provide power to our customers. We participate in dozens of community outreach events each year, contribute to Austin’s economic growth and continue to make strides in our commitment to environmental excellence.