Director of Rates and Regulatory Affairs Job
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills and talents to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A position at Xcel Energy could be just what you're looking for.
Design and implement a regulatory program to support Xcel's corporate objectives while fulfilling all legal and regulatory requirements in each assigned state regulatory jurisdiction. Direct the development and execution of all regulatory case filings in each assigned state jurisdiction, including rate, fuel, resource planning, merger/acquisition, and certification proceedings. Oversee implementation of retail choice as enacted in each assigned jurisdiction, ensuring full compliance while meeting corporate objectives. Direct regulatory activities that establish and maintain state commission relationships and oversee the administration of regulatory rules and procedures. Provide leadership in state and national industry organizations in the best interest of Xcel and its business units. Anticipate and plan for changes in regulation and industry market structure.
- Anticipate, develop, and ensure effective implementation of a regulatory program that meets the needs of Xcel's business units. Direct all aspects of regulatory filings for electric, gas, and steam services needed to accomplish corporate objectives. Ensure a jurisdictional-specific evaluation of case issues, case strategies, regulatory filings, and implementation of regulatory case outcomes. Prepare supporting testimony and serve as expert witness in regulatory proceedings.
- Anticipate and plan for changes in regulation and the marketplace to ensure effective accomplishment of Xcel's objectives. Establish strategies for implementing the terms of industry restructuring in Xcel's jurisdictions that have enacted retail competition. Develop and oversee effective participation in state restructuring initiatives and ensure compliance with requirements established for retail competition.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships between the Regulatory Administration unit and internal stakeholders to allow for effective achievement of business goals and compliance with regulatory requirements. Advise Xcel's senior management on regulatory issues and recommend strategies that align with Xcel's strategic objectives.
- Establish a program to maintain effective relationships between the company and state commissioners, regulatory staffs, and other stakeholders to the regulatory process. Ensure effective representation of Xcel's positions in regulatory proceedings. Negotiate with large customers, suppliers, regulatory staffs, public counsels, and other stakeholders to reach settlements or avoid litigation in regulatory proceedings.
- Direct the work and resources of the Regulatory Administration area. Determine budget needs for this work unit. Determine unit's goals and means to achieve. Ensure effective oversight of regulatory case processing; administration of tariffs; compliance reporting; regulatory relationships; and regulatory support to business units.
- Create and maintain a professional work environment that encourages growth opportunities for regulatory administration staff. Other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS degree in Business, Engineering or Economics, or related discipline.
- A minimum of five to ten years in the regulatory field required.
- A minimum of five years experience in the regulated utility industry highly preferred.
- Must possess expert knowledge in commission policies and procedures, as well as precedent setting orders in multiple jurisdictions.
- Strong organizational, communication, leadership, and management skills are essential.
- Must be proactive, adept at working with regulators and capable of making decisions in a rapidly-changing regulatory environment.
- Must be able to use PC software of Word and Excel.
Xcel Energy is committed to the safety of its employees and customers, and promotes a Safety Always culture. Because of this, we strongly encourage all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19; however, vaccination is not mandatory. After being hired, you will asked to report your vaccination status and dates of vaccination. This information will be maintained confidentially and disclosed only on a need-to-know basis. If you are not fully vaccinated or choose not to disclose your vaccination status you will be required to follow any health-and-safety rules applicable to unvaccinated employees.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you're ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: CO - Denver || CO - Denver || United States (US) || Customer And Innovation || 70457:PSCo Reg Admin & Pricing || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
The anticipated starting base pay for this position is: $156,000 to $220,666 per year
This position may also be eligible for the following benefits and/or pay components: Pay - Annual Incentive Program, Pay - Long Term Incentive, Medical/Pharmacy Plan, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Dependent Care Reimbursement Account, Health Care Reimbursement Account, Health Savings Account (HSA) (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Limited-Purpose FSA (if enrolled in eligible health plan and HSA), Transportation Reimbursement Account, Short-term disability (STD), Long-term disability (LTD), Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Fitness Center Reimbursement (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Tuition reimbursement, Transit programs, Employee recognition program, Pension, 401(k) plan, Paid time off (PTO), Holidays, Personal holidays, Volunteer Paid Time Off (VPTO) (full-time employees only), Parental Leave
Click here to see our benefits
Requisition Number: 53047
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at email@example.com
About this Employer
As a leading electric and natural gas energy company, we offer a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity customers and 1.9 million natural gas customers across our eight states: Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas and Wisconsin.
Our workforce of more than 12,000 is rising to the challenge of a dynamic, constantly-changing utility industry. One that requires us to be even more customer focused, forward thinking and productive while remaining committed to meeting our customers’ fundamental need for safe, reliable, affordable energy.
With nearly 50% of our workforce eligible to retire in the next five years, there’s never been a better time to come on board. Do you have a passion for renewable energy, like wind or solar? Or care about giving back to the community? You’ll be in a position to directly impact our energy future.
At Xcel Energy, you’ll be challenged, respected and rewarded. You’ll find an ethical team committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship. A dynamic company where you’ll have meaningful work that makes a difference.