Director of Generation
Keys Energy Services
Job Title: Director of Generation
Department / Section: Generation
Job Classification: Management
Exemption Status: Exempt
Safety Sensitive Position: Yes
Emergency Responder Designation: First Responder
Reports To: General Manager & CEO
This position has overall responsibility for the strategic direction of the Generation Department and ensures the achievement of goals and successful day-to-day operation to maintaining the reliability of KEYS 60% on-island back up generation. This includes responsibility for all government reporting (EPA, DEP, NERC, USCG) and KEYS/FMPA True All Requirements Project (TARP) and the Operation and Maintenance Agreement requirements. Supervises all plant personnel.
- Provide strategic, budgetary and technical project oversight for the Generation Department.
- Provide technical troubleshooting/problem solving as it relates to generating units.
- Serve as the primary liaison between KEYS and FMPA.
- Supervise, direct, and evaluate personnel, processing employee concerns and problems, directing work, counseling, disciplining, and completing employee performance evaluations.
- Lead departmental reporting and goal setting efforts.
- Prepare, review and submit reports for regulatory bodies including: EPA, DEP, NERC, USCG and FMPA
- Serve as Title V Permit Designee
- Review and submit monthly FMPA reports
- Prepare and submit quarterly EPA reports
- Prepare monthly Micro Generation Availability Data (GADs) reports and submit quarterly
- Conduct monthly security inspections
- Oversee compliance with legal, statutory and regulatory requirements related to the function of the power plan
- Ensure compliance with all safety programs, policies and procedures
- Attend Area Committee meetings with U.S. Coast Guard and other agencies on spill prevention and control
- Serve as the Facility Security Officer (FSO) and Qualified Individual (QI).
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
OTHER JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist HR in the recruiting, selecting, and orienting of new hires in the department.
- Provide assistance to other employees or departments as needed
- Attend all Utility Board meetings and prepare and report to the Utility Board as required.
- Attend Florida Municipal Power Authority (FMPA), Florida Municipal Electric Association (FMEA) and American Public Power Association (APPA) meetings as required.
- Participate in administrative review hearings; participate in the resolution of grievance issues as necessary; participate in and/or makes recommendations on union negotiations for management.
- Communicate with other supervisors, employees, other departments, the public and other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities, review status of work, exchange information or resolve problems.
- Support the FMPA fleet by occasionally working or training at other FMPA generating facilities in the state.
- Other duties as assigned that are related to the Department/Section and skill sets.
- Other duties as assigned during emergency situations.
- This position supervises the work of others, including planning, assigning, scheduling, and reviewing work to ensure quality standards. The position is responsible for training and development, reviewing performance and administering corrective action for staff. The Director of Generation can make recommendations regarding the hiring and termination of employees but these employment actions must be approved by the General Manager before they are carried out. The position plans organizational structure and job content.
- This position is responsible for budget planning, preparation and development for a budget amount of $1,000,000 in capital expenditures and $300,000,000 in O&M expenditures.
- This position makes recommendations to the organization on matters with significant financial impact.
- This position has signing authority of $5,000 when using the FMPA credit card.
- This position has signing authority of $10,000 for non-FMPA credit card purchases.
AFTER HOURS RESPONSIBILITIES:
- This position has a high expectation of evening and weekend work.
- Must be available to work weekends, holidays, after regular hours, and trouble calls in emergencies (i.e. hurricanes) as needed.
- Must have read and understand the job duties and training requirements sections of this job description.
- Must be able to perform the essential job duties of this position, as defined in the job duties section of this job description, with or without reasonable accommodation for any mental or physical disability.
- Must pass basic math test.
- Must have a valid Florida Drivers’ License with an acceptable driving record, as determined by KEYS, and maintain at own expense.
- Must reside in KEYS’ service area.
- Must be able to read, write and communicate effectively in English.
- Must have Bachelor’s Degree (BS) or equivalent from four-year college or university preferably in the fields of electrical or mechanical engineering. Master’s degree in related field is preferred
- Must have active Transportation Worker Identification Card (TWIC)/Homeland Security clearance or have the ability to pass a background check to obtain TWIC clearance within 30 days of employment.
- Must have more than eight (8) years of relevant work experience.
- The position requires the following skill and knowledge levels:
- Advanced analytical skills
- Advanced project/process management skills
- Intermediate computer/technical skills
- Intermediate written and oral communication skills
- The position requires the following levels of collaboration and/or service to others:
- Internal and external exchange of routine, factual information and/or answering routine questions
- Internal and external exchange of detailed information or resolving or varied problems
- Internal and external access to and/or work with sensitive and/or confidential information
- Internal and external identification of needs/concerns of others to determine potential solutions and resolve or redirect as appropriate
- Internal and external persuasion to gain cooperation and acceptance of ideas or collaboration on significant projects
- Internal and external resolving of conflict, negotiation or collaboration on major projects
- Internal and external handling of sensitive issues and facilitation of collaboration at the highest level
- Internal and external development and maintenance of relationships with key contacts to enhance work flow and work quality
- This position is required to make decisions that have significant, broad implications for the management and operations of a division. The position contributes to decisions on the overall strategy and direction of the organization.
- This position requires the ability to solve problems that are highly varied, complex and often non-recurring; requires novel and creative approaches to resolution. New concepts and approaches may have to be developed.
- This position requires an ability to work independently in an environment where results are not defined; the position must set his/her own goals and determine how to accomplish results with few or no guidelines to follow, although precedents may exist; supervisor/manager provides broad guidance and overall direction.
- KEYS’ Systems: human resources information system (including time and attendance), KEYS’ operating systems, and all Microsoft applications.
- KEYS’ policies and procedures, rules and regulations, travel policy, current union contract and management handbook
- KEYS’ Safety Manual; successful completion of all safety and OSHA-required training and recertification.
- External training, including but not limited to:
- Supervisory skills
- Facility Security Officer (FSO)
- Facility Response Plan Qualified Individual
- Hazwoper 24 hour certification
- GPI training
- Florida Municipal Power Agency (FMPA) 5 year training
- Must have thorough knowledge of Coast Guard requirements as a port facility.
- Must have extensive knowledge of area and participate as a Coast Guard Area Committee member.
- Must attend seminars and workshops as needed and be willing to travel by commercial airlines.
PHYSICAL / ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS:
- The position partially operates in a professional office. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and scanners. This position partially operates in the field and may be exposed to the environmental and physical demands below.
- The position may be exposed to the following environmental conditions:
- Sometimes exposed to all weather conditions
- Often exposed to noise
- Sometimes exposed to hazardous materials
- Sometimes exposed to electrical hazards
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is:
- Sometimes required to conduct extensive standing, walking, etc.
- Often required to use vision abilities
- Sometimes required to use hearing abilities
- Sometimes required to rotate at the waist and neck
- Sometimes required to bend at the waist and neck
- Sometimes required to reach forward, sideways, backward and overhead
- Sometimes required to conduct simple, complex and power grasping
- Sometimes required to work in the sun for extended periods of time
- The position may require lifting and moving of up to 10 pounds.
PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT (PPE):
- The position is required to wear PPE in compliance with KEYS’ and all regulatory standards. The specific PPE requirements of the position will be reviewed with the employee by the Supervisor and during KEYS mandatory safety training.
- Must meet and maintain all physical and safety requirements and limitations related to the fitness for use or operation of all equipment, including but not limited to, bucket trucks, aerial devices, and ladders.
About this Employer
Florida Municipal Power Agency is a wholesale power company owned by electric municipals. We provide economies of scale in power generation and related services to support community-owned electric utilities and maintain a positive and engaging environment for our staff. FMPA strives to provide competitively priced, reliable and clean power to our communities. Through hard working and talented people, we have built a team of reliable and dedicated individuals. FMPA offers a total rewards package as well as a professional compensation program that includes annual performance evaluations to acknowledge the success of our employees. At FMPA we believe in a work life balance and also offer programs to enhance the lives of our employees whether they are at home or hard at work in the office. Our excellent benefit package as helped us win top 100 employers in Orlando for 3 years in a row.