Idaho National Laboratory
Our team works on-site 9x80 located at our REC facility with every other Friday off!
Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is seeking a Secure Operations Center Analyst to join the Cyber Operations and Incident Response department in the Cybercore division. This position will support multiple National and Homeland Security cybersecurity programs, including the creation of analytics to detect cyber threats through numerous data aggregation and security incident management (SIM) tool suites, creation of indicators of compromise (IOC) detections for multiple tools, deep packet inspection of suspicious traffic within large scale environments, and file triage on suspicious artifacts found throughout the network.
As a member of the Cyber Operations and Incident Response department, you will participate in our mission to enable the cyber resiliency of critical infrastructure for the United States through the innovative application and integration of cybersecurity practices and technology. Our department's vision is to apply the lessons of today to enhance the cyber resilience of tomorrow's critical infrastructure.
In this role, your responsibilities will include: Participate and lead components of cyber defense activities up to and including national level exercises; leading and mentoring peers in incident response and cyber defense methodologies and practices; sharing and coordinating vulnerability information and threat analysis results through information products and alerts; determining mitigation techniques, and working with others to provide assistance and technical solutions for defensive resolution. Together, all of these will culminate in the enhancement of INLs capabilities to defend the critical infrastructure of the United States.
- PR-2 Bachelor's degree and 2 years of experience or Advanced degree and 1 year of experience.
- PR-3 Bachelor's degree and 5 years of experience or Advanced degree and 3 years of experience.
- Preferred degree disciplines are: Computer Science/Engineering, Information Systems, or other technical degree with a strong Cybersecurity/Networking background.
- Must be a US Citizen and be able to qualify for a TS or Q clearance. Must have the ability to maintain a "Q" clearance and SCI clearance.
- Familiarity with network analysis tools such as WireShark, Zeek, Corelight, and other traffic summarization utilities
- Experience with protocol analysis for common IT protocols and identification of unusual or suspicious traffic within TCP/UDP
- Network topology analysis for key issues such as lack of segmentation and most optimal points for traffic capture
- Experience with big data indexing and searching utilities such as Splunk and Elastic Search
- Familiarity with common IOC formats for both host and network level continuous monitoring, such as YARA and Snort/Suricata respectively
- Understanding of common Microsoft Windows Active Directory deployments, what kind of traffic patterns are expected, how authentications are structured, etc.
- Experience with Operational Technology/SCADA protocol analysis, including common protocols throughout industry (example: BACNet, Ethernet/IP, DNP-3, Modbus, etc.)
- Experience with Operational Technology/SCADA network design and perimeter hardening
- Salary Grade 200 ($79,140 - $130,572)/210 ($91,032 - $150,156)
- Chosen applicants are required to show a demonstrated dedication to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working environment.
- Multi-Level: This is a multi-level posting and the selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level dependent on depth and breadth of demonstrable experience and skills.
- TDP: This is a testing designated position; you will be required to submit to a pre-employment drug screen and periodic drug testing throughout the term of your employment.
INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory dedicated to supporting the U.S. Department of Energy's mission in nuclear energy research, science, and national defense. With more than 5,000 scientists, researchers, and support staff, the laboratory works with national and international governments, universities and industry partners to discover new science and development technologies that underpin the nation's nuclear and renewable energy, national security, and environmental missions.
Our mission is to discover, demonstrate and secure innovative nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical infrastructure.
Our vision is to change the world's energy future and secure our nation's critical infrastructure.
Selective Service Requirements:
To be eligible for employment at INL men born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS). For more information see www.sss.gov.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
INL is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide EEO to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
When applying to positions please provide your resume and answer all questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for consideration.
INL does not accept resumes from third party vendors unsolicited.
Benefits & Salary:
We have an extremely competitive salary structure, robust relocation package, and a phenomenal benefits package. For more information, please visit: https://www.inl.gov/careers/benefits-overview
About this Employer
Part of the U.S. Dept. of Energy’s complex of national laboratories, INL performs work in each of the strategic goal areas: energy, national security, science & environment. INL is the nation’s leading center for nuclear energy research & development.