Corporate Communications Specialist, Sr.
Electric Reliability Council of Texas
ERCOT is committed to fostering diversity and inclusion at all levels of our company. It is the cornerstone of our corporate values of accountability, leadership, innovation, trust, and expertise. We accept and celebrate those that join us and recognize that individuals with a wide variety of talents, ideas, and experiences propel the innovation that drives our success. A diverse and inclusive workforce strengthens us and allows for a collaborative environment to solve the challenges that face our industry today and in the future.
ERCOT offers the flexibility to work both in and out of the office within the state of Texas, providing our employees with an enhanced work life balance.
Be a part of the dedicated and collaborative teams that support the corporate functions of ERCOT. Our teams develop impactful working relationships while leveraging business know-how to support our internal and external customers to maintain the reliability of the electric power grid and wholesale markets.
Corporate Communications Specialist, Sr supports and promotes ERCOT's public reputation by informing audiences about electric grid and market activities, challenges, accomplishments and priorities. Provides writing, editing, information-gathering and visual communications support for a wide range of organizational activities, including internal and external communications activities, internet communications, social media communications, media relations, public information requests, reports and presentations, and electronic newsletters.
- Understands and applies principles, theories and concepts related to the profession and ERCOT's culture.
- Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action.
- Impact is generally limited to specific assignments or projects.
- May respond to inquiries and/or provide assistance and/or guidance to lower-level workers.
- Operates and maintains the Public Information Request apparatus, using research and knowledge of regulatory and industry requirements to determine appropriate responses
- Reviews all public requests for information. Communicates with internal subject-matter experts and resources to develop responses to requests for information. Provides accurate and timely information in response to public information requests and maintains records and reports of public information requests and responses
- Ensures that confidentiality of restricted information is maintained
- Follows established style requirements to support ERCOT brand
- Assists in the writing, editing and development of presentation materials
- Coordinates meetings where needed
- Compiles and distributes news clips based on organizational priorities
- Coordinates tours and visits to facilities, ensuring logistical details and appropriate presenters are arranged to present ERCOT appropriately to variety of guests
- Contributes to the writing and distribution of communications with news media, including news releases and Internet communications and social media
- Generates and evaluates new ideas for articles, press releases, events, etc. and ensures coordination and consistency with desired organizational image
- Assists in making accurate and timely updates of general information on the website
- Develops presentations and materials for publication, ensuring appropriate brand is reflected in all visual communication
- Serves as a Subject Matter Expert providing guidance to lower-level workers
- Conveys team goals effectively through strong written and verbal communication skills
- May schedule work, train, mentor, and/or coach lower-level workers
- Understands and demonstrates skills in message development and media relations
- Requires minimum 5 years job related work experience in excess of degree requirements
- Requires minimum 5 years of progressively responsible experience in communications, or technical writing
- Strongly prefer Electric Industry experience
- Requires writing proficiency
- Requires Visual design and web content management system experience
- Bachelor's Degree: Journalism, Communication or related field (Required)
- or a combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge to a major in such fields is required
- The majority of job duties can be performed remotely from your Texas residence.
- May be required to be on-site at the Taylor or Austin facilities at least once a month, or more based on the business needs and as determined by the Manager
- Work arrangements are subject to business needs and are subject to change accordingly
- Remote work schedules shall be performed within Texas. Logins during out of state business travel, and any temporary remote work arrangements must be submitted and approved by HR
About this Employer
The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) manages the flow of electric power to more than 26 million Texas customers -- representing about 90 percent of the state’s electric load. As the independent system operator for the region, ERCOT schedules power on an electric grid that connects more than 52,700+ miles of transmission lines and 1,030+ generation units, including PUNs. It also performs financial settlement for the competitive wholesale bulk-power market and administers retail switching for 8 million premises in competitive choice areas. ERCOT is a membership-based 501(c)(4) nonprofit corporation, governed by a board of directors and subject to oversight by the Public Utility Commission of Texas and the Texas Legislature. Its members include consumers, cooperatives, generators, power marketers, retail electric providers, investor-owned electric utilities, transmission and distribution providers and municipally owned electric utilities.