Control Room Operator
PIC Group, Inc.
Title: Control Room Operator
Position Type: Direct Hire
Location: La Grange, TX
Reports to: Shift Supervisor
PIC Group is seeking a Control Room Operator to support a 1200MW coal plant located in La Grange, Texas. The Control Room Operator will report to the Shift Supervisor and is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of steam boilers, electric generating units, coal handling, wet scrubber, and auxiliary equipment. The Control Room Operator (CRO) will play a vital part in communicating and coordinating work activities with Generation Desk (GenDesk) to meet generation demand load requirements. The Control Room Operator utilizes in-depth knowledge of best practices and experience in their own discipline to provide and improve services. This opportunity comes with good pay with OT on Dupont Schedule, excellent utility style savings plans, health insurance, and no Texas state taxes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Works independently and receives minimal guidance.
- Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience; may direct the work of other staff members.
- Coordinates operation of the boiler, turbine, generator, and auxiliary equipment to meet the needs of the system.
- Regulates unit generator output through manual or automatic control.
- Reads and records output of meters and instruments. Maintains logs on unit performance.
- Operate switches, breakers, and combustion controls.
- Monitors operation and status of all unit systems on a continuous basis. Keeps systems within proper parameters
- Communicates and directs activities of Auxiliary Operators
- Performs maintenance on equipment as needed or required by periodic maintenance schedule.
- Performs unit walk downs (makes rounds) to monitor operating equipment when performing plant operator functions.
- Assists maintenance and instrumentation & controls departments during outages.
- As needed, performs shift supervisory duties.
- Knowledge of power plant operations principles
- Knowledge of power plant control systems
- Knowledge of operating mechanical and electrical equipment
- Knowledge of electricity principles
- Basic skill level in office productivity applications (such as email, word processing, spreadsheets, etc.) Advanced skill in reading and interpreting diagrams and prints
- Intermediate skill in data acquisition systems
- Intermediate skill in control systems
- Intermediate skill level in data recovery
- Skill in verbal and written communication
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to communicate effectively with team members, supervision / management and external organizations under normal and emergency conditions
- Ability to understand and follow operating procedures/guidelines, safety and environmental rules and regulations
- Ability to remain alert to anticipate problems and quickly respond to problems
- A valid driver's license is required
- Duties require sitting, walking, standing for extended periods of time, crawling, stooping, sitting, climbing vertical and inclined ladders and stairs, and lifting and carrying up to 20 lbs. Exposure to extreme heat and cold.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- The frequent use of protective equipment (i.e., hard hats, safety glasses, air masks, ear protection, etc.) may be required.
Education / Experience:
- 5+ years of experience in power plant operations or power plant maintenance, including at least one year operating the unit control board with little or no supervision and including at least one unit startup and at least one unit shutdown.
- A degree(s) in power plant operations or relevant field may be substituted for certain years of experience
PIC Group, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer competitive wages and benefits. We seek out and employ talented individuals who meet the qualifications for each position. Due to the large number of responses we receive to our postings, only those applicants with the required experience and qualifications will be contacted.
About this Employer
PIC Group, Inc., established in 1988 and headquartered in Atlanta, GA, is a global provider of service solutions to the power generation industry. PIC Group’s comprehensive portfolio of services supports all aspects of power project development including installation, outage, commissioning and start-up, operations and maintenance, documentation and training, and project support. As of March 2008, PIC Group, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marubeni Corporation, a publicly listed company headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.