Control Room Operator
PIC Group, Inc.
Title: Control Room Operator
Position Type: Contract
Location: Portage, WI
Reports to: Operations Manager
PIC Group, Inc. has an excellent opportunity for a Control Room Operator to support a 1200MW coal plant with two 2 600MW steam turbines located in Portage, WI. The Control Room Operator will play a key role providing power plant control and operation, on the job training, mentoring, and leadership to other Control Room Operators, and cross-training of Auxiliary Operators that are progressing toward the Control Room position. The Control Room Operator will report to the Operations Manager and be responsible for the safe and efficient operation of steam boilers, electric generating units, coal handling and auxiliary equipment as well as the remote operations of hydro units.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Operate control equipment to obtain safe and economical operation of boilers, turbines, and auxiliary equipment.
- Operate switchboard to obtain safe and proper operation of plant and system electrical equipment.
- Receive calls and execute orders from the Generation Dispatch Center and maintain a complete record of orders, operations, and incidents.
- Perform start-up, operation, and shutdown of equipment, systems, and the plant in accordance with approved plant procedures.
- Monitor and record plant operating parameters inside the control room; adjust as required to maintain safe and efficient operation of the plant.
- Prepare logs and reports as required.
- Upon detecting faulty equipment operation, diagnose the cause then take proper action to restore the equipment and plant to a safe condition.
- Monitor plant air and water emissions and take steps to maintain within acceptable limits. Immediately notify Operations Manager and/or plant management of abnormal situations, including those that may result in violation of regulatory requirements.
- Keep the shift supervisor informed of any abnormal or unusual conditions that may occur.
- Perform troubleshooting activities related to plant operating systems.
- Maintain a neat and orderly control room.
- Substitute and routinely perform the duties of the Operator inside the plant.
- Assist in the training of employees.
- Perform maintenance work of ordinary nature when not operating.
- Perform all work according to established procedures and safety practices.
- Direct the actions of the Auxiliary Operator as required to start-up, operate, shutdown, and respond to abnormal situations from outside the control room.
- Provide periodic reports to the Operations Manager and/or plant management regarding plant status.
- Identify, troubleshoot, correct, and report on conditions that are likely to develop into operational problems or safety hazards.
- Respond to and report on chemical spills and leaks in accordance with plant emergency response plans.
- Monitor, maintain, and verify proper water treatment systems and boiler chemistry.
- Ensure thorough turnover from Control Room Operator being relieved, including special orders, unusual operating conditions, and review of operating logs and key parameters.
- Perform other duties which are similar, related, and incidental to the position.
- Perform tests on critical safety systems, as directed, including lube oil pumps, turbine valves, turbine system trips, boiler trips and per missives.
- Perform and direct equipment isolation in accordance with plant lockout/tagout procedures.
- Perform minor maintenance as directed during scheduled and unscheduled maintenance periods.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Shift Supervisor and/or plant management.
- Skilled in reading, basic math, and electricity and have mechanical aptitude.
- Knowledge of generating station systems and company electrical operating procedures.
- Ability to work in a team environment and communicate clearly.
- Ability to provide on the job training, mentoring, and leadership to other Operators.
- Ability to remain calm during emergencies.
- Ability to make quick and accurate decisions and execute duties in a timely manner.
- Mechanical, instrumentation and electrical equipment knowledge is required.
- Demonstrates knowledge of all facets of power plant operations.
- Demonstrates the ability to make competent decisions in emergency situations.
- Demonstrates good verbal and written communication skills.
- The ability to read and understand plant programs, policies, procedures, and instructions specific to the associated Operations & Maintenance Agreement.
- Knowledge of equipment isolation and tagging procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of the purpose and proper use of the plant safety equipment.
- Excellent problem-solving skills to identify, analyze, and recommend solutions.
- Ability to perform the physical requirements of the job.
- Ability to work effectively in a culturally diverse work group.
- Must maintain a valid driver's license.
- Duties require walking, standing for extended periods of time, crawling, stooping, sitting, climbing vertical and inclined ladders and stairs, and lifting and carrying (up to 20 lbs.).
- Exposure to extreme heat and cold.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- The frequent use of protective equipment (i.e., hard hats, safety glasses, air masks, ear protection, etc.) may be required.
Education / Experience:
- 5+ years of experience in coal fired power plant operations, is required.
- 5+ years of experience as a Control Room Operator, is required.
- 3+ years of previous experience as an Auxiliary Operator / Outside Operator at a coal plant, is required.
PIC Group, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer competitive wages and benefits. We seek out and employ talented individuals who meet the qualifications for each position. Due to the large number of responses we receive to our postings, only those applicants with the required experience and qualifications will be contacted.
About this Employer
PIC Group, Inc., established in 1988 and headquartered in Atlanta, GA, is a global provider of service solutions to the power generation industry. PIC Group’s comprehensive portfolio of services supports all aspects of power project development including installation, outage, commissioning and start-up, operations and maintenance, documentation and training, and project support. As of March 2008, PIC Group, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marubeni Corporation, a publicly listed company headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.