Construction Quality Engineer
Idaho National Laboratory
Idaho National Laboratory's (INL) Quality Procurement and Construction group is seeking forward-thinking professionals interested in exploring a career as a Construction Quality Engineer.
Our team works a hybrid 4x10 schedule located at our Research and Education Campus with every Friday off!
- Support INL Quality Assurance organization as assigned to support construction activities at the INL.
- Enable successful and compliant projects by assuring Quality requirements and initiatives are identified, understood, planned, and implemented.
- Communicate frequently with manager to establish priorities and collaborate with different levels of management, staff, and subcontractors.
- Assure compliance with laboratory, corporate, and DOE Quality requirements while implementing the INL graded approach, applying the appropriate level of effort as warranted and eliminating undue burden.
- Review designs, planning, safety basis documents, material requisitions, purchase orders, contracts, procedures, etc., for compliance with established INL Quality program requirements.
- Advise line management and facility/project personnel of requirements and provide solutions to Quality compliance and implementation processes.
- Perform direct observations of Quality affecting work performance activities.
- Provide guidance for solutions to repair and design issues, using ingenuity and innovation.
- Provide Quality program support to engineers in structure, system, and component (SSC) design, and development.
- Provide oversight to verify applicable codes and consensus standards are implemented during design, fabrication, and construction of new/existing SSC's.
- Develop Quality inspection plans embedding required Quality requirements.
- Provide program guidance to line managers for proper implementation of program requirements and process improvement. Perform surveillances, audits, and assessments, as assigned, to direct compliance with and implementation of company processes.
- Ensure Quality program weaknesses and areas for process improvement are properly identified and resolved using the INL Issues Management process.
- Mentor peers and engineers in developing, implementing, and maintaining program requirements.
- Perform as a Quality program area technical point of contact and/or subject matter expert, as assigned by management. Maintain required training as per Individual Training Plan (ITP).
- Develop and continuously improve QA plans and procedures. Provide improvement suggestions on INL Quality-related documents. Collaborate with and provide Quality-related guidance to technical staff and management, and collaborate with internal and external customers and participants in Quality-related matters.
- Review construction and engineering specifications and related documents, work planning, operation and maintenance instructions, and procurement documents for compliance to Program/Project and INL Quality requirements. Provide recommendations for solutions to Quality compliance and implementation issues. Determine appropriate inspection hold points in processes and procedures, and prepare inspection plans. Issue and track nonconformance and other deficiency reports through closure. Coordinate configuration and records management activities.
- Verify operations or inspections as called out in procedures and work control plans. Perform general verification for equipment and materials, and perform surveillance and assessment.
- Conduct independent QA assessments and surveillances with peers and management to ensure that facility/program/project activities and related documentation maintain consistency.
- Maintain proficiency and required training and qualification for Quality engineering functions and responsibilities and participate in professional development activities.
- BS in a Quality-related technical field, plus 2-5 years of applicable experience, or MS in a Quality-related technical field plus 1-3 years of applicable experience.
- US Citizen. Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE L Security Clearance.
- BS in Engineering.
- Experience in Construction.
- Salary Grade 190 ($68,820 - $113,644) / Salary Grade 210 ($91,032 - $150,156)
- Chosen applicants are required to show a demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working environment.
- TDP-Testing Designated Position; you will be required to submit to a pre-employment drug screen and periodic drug testing throughout the term of your employment.
- Multi-Level: This is a multi-level posting and the selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level dependent on depth and breadth of proven experience and skills.
Growing INL: An Overview of New Facilities and Capabilities
Our mission is to discover, demonstrate and secure innovative nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical infrastructure.
Our vision is to change the world's energy future and secure our nation's critical infrastructure.
Selective Service Requirements
To be eligible for employment at INL males born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS). For more information see www.sss.gov.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
COVID Safety Protocols
As a condition of employment, Idaho National Laboratory will inquire about COVID vaccination status and expects candidates to comply with all required COVID safety protocols, including mask-wearing as applicable.
Idaho National Laboratory has implemented a required vaccination policy effective immediately requiring that all new hires must be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, unless exempt under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, or other applicable state or federal law. In accordance with Idaho National Laboratory's duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, we are adopting this policy to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors, and the community at large from infectious diseases that may be reduced by vaccinations.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
When applying to positions please provide a resume and answer all questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for consideration.
INL does not accept resumes from third party vendors unsolicited.
Benefits, Salary, and Relocation
We have an extremely competitive salary structure and phenomenal benefits. For more information, please visit: https://www.inl.gov/careers/benefits-overview/
About this Employer
Part of the U.S. Dept. of Energy’s complex of national laboratories, INL performs work in each of the strategic goal areas: energy, national security, science & environment. INL is the nation’s leading center for nuclear energy research & development.