Co-op Student, Transmission Planning Engineer
Dairyland Power Cooperative
Are you ready to join an organization where we focus on People First, have fun at work and make a difference in what we do?
Dairyland is proud of our People First culture centered around appreciation, celebrating wins and collaboration. We’ve worked hard to ensure alignment between our culture and our processes and systems, learning and development and rewards and recognition programs.
As a team, we work together to leverage the team’s diverse perspectives, ideas and experiences to deliver nothing less than the best. We are collaborative, transparent and committed to our People and their work experience, growth and professional development.
CO-OP STUDENT, TRANSMISSION PLANNING
Hourly Wage $25.00
The Transmission Planning Co-op Student position will provide a current engineering student with meaningful assignments and exposure to the industry through a summer and semester of valuable work experience. Activities include assisting in the development of transmission plans to meet Dairyland’s future transmission system requirements through the rebuild and replacement of existing lines, new facilities, and improved operating configurations to serve cooperative members and accommodate changes in generation. Assist in the operation and maintenance of Dairyland’s Energy Management System (EMS), including but not limited to network model development and maintenance, state estimator (SE) tuning and real-time contingency analysis (RTCA) maintenance and evaluation.
The Impact You'll Make In This Role:
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Work with Operations and Transmission Planning Engineers to evaluate transmission line historical reliability and to prioritize transmission line projects.
2. Identify alternatives for providing service to areas that are served by transmission facilities that are aging, have poor reliability metrics, or suffering from inadequate capacity.
3. Utilize Siemens PTI Power System Simulator software to perform power flow studies, identify transmission system deficiencies and evaluate transmission system upgrade alternatives.
4. Support Transmission Planning Engineers as they coordinate with the Midcontinent Independent System Operator on generation studies as new generators are studied for their impacts on the transmission system.
5. Support transmission system data documentation maintenance such as transmission line characteristics and transmission equipment ratings documentation.
6. Support Transmission Planning Engineers with power flow model and Energy Management System (EMS) model maintenance as they transmission system changes.
7. Tuning of the State Estimator (SE) application.
8. Maintenance of the Real-Time Contingency Analysis (RTCA) application.
9. Communicate and coordinate with neighboring utilities and member cooperatives as necessary.
10. Other duties as assigned.
Your Experience and Expertise:
Education & Experience: Sophomore or junior in electrical engineering, power systems emphasis preferred. Prefer student with experience in Microsoft Office Suite of applications and computer programming familiarity is also desirable.
Skills: Ability to communicate effectively, both verbal and written, and work independently with moderate supervision. General computer literacy is required and experience with Excel, Word, and Power Point is preferred.
Licenses and Certifications: Valid Driver’s License.
Other Job Characteristics: Interacts regularly with other utility personnel. Moderate supervision. Team oriented, performing or supporting various tasks as assigned. Frequently fast paced and dynamic work environment.
We are committed to providing our greatest asset, our People, with as many perks and benefits as possible. Some benefits of working with us include:
- Health & disability benefits (medical, dental, vision, short & long-term disability)
- Life insurance
- Generous 401(k) and Pension Plans
- Paid Time Off
- Robust Wellness Program
- New Flexible Work Program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- So much more!
Dairyland Power Cooperative is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
If you are an individual with disabilities who needs accommodation or you are having difficulty using our website to apply for employment, contact our HR Department at 608-788-4000.