AVP, Corporate Development Carbon Free 2050 Job
Location(s): MN - Minneapolis; CO - Denver
Are you looking for an exciting job where you can put your skills and talents to work at a company you can feel proud to be a part of? Do you want a workplace that will challenge you and offer you opportunities to learn and grow? A position at Xcel Energy could be just what you're looking for.
Lead and develop the carbon-free technology team in the corporate development group focused on energy storage, hydrogen, and other advanced energy and net-zero technologies. Direct negotiation and execution of acquisitions and greenfield project origination/development to enhance corporate capabilities. Lead efforts to evaluate, recommend, and develop strategic growth opportunities in coordination with Xcel Energy (XE) senior leadership. Develop and execute on asset level strategies focused on carbon-free technologies to enhance long-term growth and positioning in the market. Develop and manage methodology for assessment and review of the XE business portfolio for financial contribution and strategic fit. Implement and manage a process for screening and evaluating business development opportunities and competitive threats.
- Lead the technical evaluation of early stage advanced energy technology and the development pipeline of viable technologies to deploy as part of XE's Corporate 2050 carbon reduction goals. Work with external groups like NREL, EPRI, and LCRI as required.
- Direct the evaluation and execution of advanced technology corporate expansion opportunities including acquisitions or joint ventures. Assess opportunities for financial contribution and strategic fit. Manage financial valuations, due diligence reviews, and internal risk assessment of potential sale or acquisition. Lead negotiations of purchase/sales agreements, including all significant terms and conditions. Prepare materials supporting the transaction for senior management and board review and approval.
- Identify, develop, and implement asset level strategies focused on carbon free technologies to support XE's strategic direction. Partner with Operating Companies, Chief Customer Officer, and Business Areas to develop and implement such strategies in alignment with long-term company plans.
- Lead efforts to negotiate and gain approvals for proposed transactions, including from third parties and through regulatory filings. Manage the accounting, tax, financial, operational, and human resources activities of transactions to comply with purchase agreements.
- Formulate and recommend corporate directional focus for development and expansion to enable XE's implementation of the strategic and financial objectives to advanced carbon-free technology. Develop and manage a consistent methodology for the screening and prioritizing business opportunities and resource allocation. Evaluate XE's business portfolio and assess the gaps that exist relative to capabilities, markets, business scope, and investment risk/return. Recommend approaches to close identified gaps.
- Direct a team of advanced technology corporate development transactors, project developers, and technology experts.
- Bachelor's degree in a technical or financial field.
- MBA strongly desired.
- Ten or more years of business development experience or equivalent experience in financial fields.
- Experience in or extensive knowledge of an energy related field.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven analytical and financial analysis capabilities.
- Strong negotiating skills.
- Capable of integrating technical, managerial, and business judgment.
- Ability to interact effectively with executive level management and the Board of Directors.
- Ability to work well within a team and to successfully lead and interact with individuals at all levels of the organization.
Xcel Energy is committed to the safety of its employees and customers, and promotes a Safety Always culture. Because of this, we strongly encourage all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19; however, vaccination is not mandatory. After being hired, you will asked to report your vaccination status and dates of vaccination. This information will be maintained confidentially and disclosed only on a need-to-know basis. If you are not fully vaccinated or choose not to disclose your vaccination status you will be required to follow any health-and-safety rules applicable to unvaccinated employees.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you're ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: CO - Denver || MN - Minneapolis; CO - Denver || United States (US) || CFO Organization || 70530:Corporate Development || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
The anticipated starting base pay for this position is: $156,000 to $220,666 per year
This position may also be eligible for the following benefits and/or pay components: Pay - Annual Incentive Program, Pay - Long Term Incentive, Medical/Pharmacy Plan, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Dependent Care Reimbursement Account, Health Care Reimbursement Account, Health Savings Account (HSA) (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Limited-Purpose FSA (if enrolled in eligible health plan and HSA), Transportation Reimbursement Account, Short-term disability (STD), Long-term disability (LTD), Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Fitness Center Reimbursement (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Tuition reimbursement, Transit programs, Employee recognition program, Pension, 401(k) plan, Paid time off (PTO), Holidays, Personal holidays, Volunteer Paid Time Off (VPTO) (full-time employees only), Parental Leave
Click here to see our benefits
Requisition Number: 53353
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at email@example.com
About this Employer
As a leading electric and natural gas energy company, we offer a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity customers and 1.9 million natural gas customers across our eight states: Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas and Wisconsin.
Our workforce of more than 12,000 is rising to the challenge of a dynamic, constantly-changing utility industry. One that requires us to be even more customer focused, forward thinking and productive while remaining committed to meeting our customers’ fundamental need for safe, reliable, affordable energy.
With nearly 50% of our workforce eligible to retire in the next five years, there’s never been a better time to come on board. Do you have a passion for renewable energy, like wind or solar? Or care about giving back to the community? You’ll be in a position to directly impact our energy future.
At Xcel Energy, you’ll be challenged, respected and rewarded. You’ll find an ethical team committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship. A dynamic company where you’ll have meaningful work that makes a difference.